Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dick Boat posted:

Can I date anime girls in this game, this is very important y/n
you can do side events with the other characters but there's not really a romantic angle or date scenes or anything, it's just kinda hanging out with your friends

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Didn't this game completely tank in Japan

it reviewed very well, it just didn't sell great. that said the numbers looked worse than they actually were since japan has no sales reporting for digital sales.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the things you hate in modern jrpgs are exactly the things that make modern jrpgs good. all the best jrpgs have been released in the past 12 years or so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shadow hearts is about a college-aged guy loving around shanghai and that's the second best game ever made

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just want an excuse to talk about shadow hearts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

Sell me on Shadow Hearts

1) it's got a cool alt. history world war 1 setting

2) yuri is a fun protag

3) it's got a neat combat system based around timed hits

4) the second game is a very nuanced exploration of the pain of losing someone you love, that also has a party member who hits people with mailboxes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bogart posted:

I'm sold on shadow hearts.

Also, Japan doesn't buy console games anymore, and their network is way better than the US', so I have to imagine digital sales make up a larger chunk of salsa.
im glad of it.

if you want a really janky 6 hour horror-rpg, check out koudelka too. it's by the same devs and it's got some plot ties to shadow hearts, and they hired a bunch of random american theater guys and had them adlib a lot of their lines and pantomine out the scenes. it leads to pretty good VAing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, the writing in the entire gravure section revolved around a weird kind of criticism of the gravure industry and creepy fans but it fell completely flat on its face because you got to see the female party members in sexy bikinis so tbh them just excising that entire concept is probably an improvement, especially since it clashed kinda heavily with the mood of the game otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think there's something to be said that we shouldn't have these changes in the first place in 2016, but I honestly can't bring myself to care enough.

on the one hand these changes are unnecessary but on the other hand in some cases they can improve the game? and in some cases i feel like changes are being made between the jp and us version to improve or rebalance the game and people are calling it censorship even if it had nothing to do with that, like the quest changes in bravely second.

• Locked thread