Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just got to Chapter 3! I found the prologue and first chapter fairly boring, but the game is definitely growing on me. I like the balance that fixed skill paths and guaranteed player character weaknesses lends SMT mechanics. The second chapter dungeon was also pretty fun. Cheap healing is amazing, but they probably could have dropped EP altogether.

The disc load times are sometimes pretty annoying (3 seconds to load the menu, ugh). It's obviously a B-team game, but it still has lots of polish in the gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Mid chapter 3 and Tsubasa hits like a wet noodle. She was fine in Chapter 2, but it seems like she's getting her moderate damage skills a weapon or two later than everyone else. At least she was my first character to session while not in the active party.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It's a shame that Itsuki is a required party member because he has the worst costumes.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

ChaosArgate posted:

I spent 2 bux on the Atlus costume DLC specifically for Itsuki's DeSu2 costume and never looked back.

Same. I can't bring myself to change Kiria out of her Jojos costume despite loving her EO3 princess outfit too.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Chapter 3 dungeon is kinda short and easy. It felt somewhat phoned in after the mid boss.

I think I got the mid boss on my second try on hard. I found Sukukaja + Sukunda to help tons for avoiding getting sessioned. Kiria also gets a special skill around there that is really powerful.

I think I need to grind out a few skills for the boss of Chapter 3. Wish the second half of the dungeon was longer.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Pastel power is disgustingly good and allowed me to clown on the Chapter 3 boss. I love Mamori's knight outfit.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just used Concentrate for the first time to take down the Chapter 4 midboss. They made it even better than usual in this game! Kiria's Pastel Power also combos extremely well with Tsubasa's radiant ability before you know the enemy weaknesses.

Should I be class changing already? I tried changing Itsuki, but it didn't look like it unlocked any new Carnages right now so I reloaded.

I'm not a fan of this dungeon. It's a little confusing.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Ooof, the wedding dress is truly awful. The other changes were pretty good! Weird that they phoned this one in so much.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm starting to enjoy Ellie's character a lot more now. Also she's my first Fog Breath user so mechanically she is pretty great too.

Mamori is as overpowered as everyone says she is.

I really like the mechanics of this game, and I hope some influences from it transfer to Persona 5. There's kind of a weird uneven level of polish to the game though - load times are long and the menus are kinda clunky, but side stories will have unique music videos. You can kind of tell that it's a B team effort. I'm still enjoying it quite a bit though.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Chapter 5 was a boring slog. I'm kind of burnt out on the game. The final villain reveal was so incredibly weak. I'll try to power through it in the next few weeks to finish the game, but it was just a pretty uneven experience overall. When the characters are having fun interactions, it's very enjoyable. When you're watching the same session attack animations for the 50th time in an hour, it is not.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The encounter design was at least a little challenging and fresh early on when you had fewer tools. However, now that I have access to really powerful skills, it's very tiresome. The session mechanics mean they can't design enemies without weaknesses, so everything becomes similar except bosses.

I might just plow through the rest on easy.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
No, roughly at the midpoint of the game a mechanic unlocks that lets you get old skills back. The only one you can't get back is Mamori's accuracy passive because it's not on any of her weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I would ballpark something like 60 hours if you're doing all of the party side quests.

• Locked thread