Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pollyanna posted:

I gotta be honest, this game looks like it will be bad.

you look like you will be bad :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

you suck imo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Game is good. I like the tone and style of everything. I wrecked my first Savage encounter using Itsuki's special session ability. Barry not being playable borders on criminal.

Those are my thoughts so far.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

being able to save everywhere/no auto save/being booted to the title screen if you die is a pretty awful design combination

This is probably my only real complaint about the game. It's just unnecessarily sloppy design in an otherwise really solid game.

e: censored: those poor ladies' vagina bones

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
What are Detritus used for? I have a bunch off some Savage enemy battles and the description says that someone might collect them. Who does and when is it available?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
e: double post, weird.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dunban posted:

Anyone know a good spot to farm the gold enemies? I need some Macca Converters.

Seconding this. I got one but need several for weapons.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know two good ways, pick your poison.

Method 1 is simple, go to this spot on the map: http://imgur.com/WWJpYA1.jpg in Shibuya. Gold enemies seem to spawn very frequently there, but you'll still need to do quite a bit of running around.

Method 2 is to go to 6F in 106, go up the orange doll, press the middle switch and go up the orange doll again. You'll be in a tiny area with one of those MYSTERY FUTURE BREAKABLE DOORS and nothing else. Just run around that area, if you step back onto the carpet next to the doll arm whatever enemy spawned will disappear, making it pretty quick. However, it seems that only one will spawn until you reload the area, either through porting back to the office or using the in-dungeon warp portal to move to another floor and back.

Thank you! That area of the map in Method 1 is where I got my first one, so I guess it's just run-around time. Does Estoma help in this case or am I just more likely to get Savage enemies instead?

Also, what's the best method for killing those guys? I got lucky and Touma ad-libbed it to death the first time.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
The more I play this, the more it reminds me of DDS side of SMT than Persona. In that vein, I hope they continue the series with at least another entry. It's good.

I've been teetering on buying the DLC dungeons but I can't really justify them right now. The arena is incredible for grinding out exp/weapon skills especially if you complete both encores. The Daily gives you a Tome too, it seems (or at least it did today). Is there any real reason to buy them other than flavor at this point?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I only fight Savage enemies when I have lots of SP meter. I like to use Tsubasa's AoE attack because that gives everyone a regen effect for 3 turns and can really keep you going during tough fights.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So is there a stat that this 4th party member wants to focus on? I notice the increased skill compared to everything else but i'm not sure what all the stats do in this game so i don't know if i should be buying accessories focusing on increasing that or just the generic strength/mag increasing ones.

Also where do you get Macca Leafs? Need some from a request and i don't think the analysis thing tells you were to get item drops off of enemies.

I got Macca Leaves out of the camera dungeon. They seemed to be a fairly random drop off groups with the little hammer girls (I'm at work and I can't remember their names).

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SylvainMustach posted:

Ah I was afraid they were the rare encounters.
Thanks

I'll check the arena too.

You can cheese Macca Converters pretty easily. From GameFAQs:

quote:

Take the teleporter to the 6th floor and follow the right path past the orange costume to the switch. Press the middle button, turn around and enter the closer sleeve to go up to the 7th floor. You will find a small area with a wall that can be broken by whatever means (i don't know yet, i'm only in chapter 2 though).

Run around there near the sleeve, specifically near the carpet in front of the sleeve entrance. If an enemy spawns and it isn't the golden on, just stand on the carpet and wait, the enemy will vanish as soon as it tries to enter the carpet (for whatever reason). Then just start running around again.

The first enemy is always either rare or savage. I think you have to Traport and then return to get it to respawn rare each time. It only took me about 10 minutes of doing this to get about 5 of them so it's easy pie.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like how the game just keeps giving you tools to absolutely savage enemies. I did Kiria's Level 42 quest Cord and Bord and the Duo art you get as a reward is absurdly good when it triggers. Aoe, Heals party and sets up another session? yes please! Between that and my back row folks being able to participate, it's not hard to get a 10 hit as early as Chapter 4.

I hope they aren't done with this offshoot and do more games. I wont hold my breath but they really cooked up something magical with this one.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How do you kill the gold enemies in chapter 4? They seem incredibly hardy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Okay now do the same thing but for the next tier of rares because I've started needing those but haven't found one yet

I found one in the Chapter 4 dungeon, after climbing a ladder in the door area. It was on blue side, if that helps. they are tough as nails though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok, I found a cheese spot for the second tier rare enemies (UFO's):

Go to Daiba Studio after Chapter 4 is over (intermission works fine). Go to the first room where the episodes show on the TVs at the top. You want to configure it so the Treasure room is the Northwest room. If it's not, just enter a door and it'll reset the room for you. Once you get the treasure room in the Northwest, go there and stop at the ladder. Cast the spell that attracts enemies (Riba-something), the spell that increaes savage/rare enemies (your new character has it) and Slowma. Now climb the ladder and a rare will spawn. Fight it, kill it and run in a small circle at the top of the ladder. It will respawn every couple of steps or so. It's easy to get a first strike on, so you should be able to take it out. My Itsuki can one shot it with Ziodyne at level 47. Alternatively, use Ellie's SP attack or Megido on Kiria if you have it. I've gotten about a dozen of its drops in less than 5 minutes doing this.

edit: Ok, occasionally red enemies will spawn. In that case just climb down the ladder since it's in arm's reach and climb back up. With the above technique the gold spawn rate is about 90% though. I have 60 of the Interstellar Sefirot after about 20 minutes.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 4, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

how many macca converters do I need

all of them

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

sincx posted:

I Magic Mirrored my way to victory on that one. It was pretty funny, because if you use Magic Mirror, the boss' AOE reflects back on himself 3 times.

Yeah, Magic Mirrors were amazing on that boss. It's funny because you get the snapshot finish of it killing itself instead of one of your dudes doing it in slow motion.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Silver Falcon posted:

What do you do with Detritus? I've seen folks talking about it, and I've picked up some myself, but haven't seen anything to do with them.

Tsubasa's last side story is sure gonna be a thing. I attempted it when I was nowhere near the recommended level and it predictably kicked my rear end. I was able to cheese Kiria's third side story (Attack Mirror, whee!) despite being underlevelled so I thought I'd at least try. I ought to try it again, probably. The party is starting to hit 40 now and on my first attempt they were barely hitting 35.

If you're 40, do the Intermediate arena battles. I like to do them until I cap arena coins, personally. If you do that you should be right around the quest's recommended level by the time you're done.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh god but why would you do this the arena is so tedious

Arena is good

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

It should take fewer repeats to get all the rewards imo

But that's okay because they're not that necessary so I'm just not gonna do any more of it

I don't think i'm using very many of the arena rewards so far. They seem to have too many drawbacks. I just like the combat enough that it doesn't feel tedious to veg out and do my encores. It's a super fast track to mastering weapons in short order.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

is it just be or is tsubasa kind of a garbage unit

I get a lot of mileage out of everyone, tbh. Tsubasa is a straight up murderer for me when it comes to enemies weak to wind. She's also really fast.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MohShuvuu posted:

Wait till you get to later chapters and her Lance sessions start hitting for 50 while everyone else is 250+

That's true, but her wind sessions hit for the 400-900 in early chapter 4 and no one can really match that, not even Kiria. Plus, she's just about the fastest party member and she's worth putting in the active party just so you can switch someone else in quickly at the start of a battle to exploit a weakness.

Tsubasa is a solid party member for me even her her healing ability is a bit wasted.

ImpAtom posted:

It's important to remember this:

Stat boosts early on are literally less than a single incense would give you and later on are less than two would give you. They are the most worthless use of your slot and should be dumped as soon as possible.

Yeah, stat boosts are literal poo poo and shouldn't waste a slot. Yasha Soul is good because crits are awesome, and the expertise skills seem to amp damage quite a bit, especially at the +x versions. Pierce is also an amazing skill everyone who can get should have.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Dunban posted:

Question about class changing and Carnages:

Let's say I switch Chrom from a Great Lord to a Conqueror - will I then still be able to make +1 versions of the Great Lord-exclusive Carnages?

I have a question along these lines too - when is a good time to do the second class change? I have some characters who have no more mystery weapons to craft in their list, but they haven't mastered all the ones I've made yet. Can they still equip the weapons if I switch classes again? Or does class changing just unlock the new weapons up front?

Silver Falcon posted:

Anyone have a handy list of where to find all the Mirages to add to the Arena? I found the ones in the first two dungeons, and the ghost in the top hat. I thought the troll in the third dungeon would want to join up, but he just complained about the cameras, and screw scouring that lovely dungeon end to end to find another Mirage there, assuming there even is one.

From GameFAQs:

* Chapter 1 - Harajuku
* Chapter 1 - Illusory Daitama, lower level
* Chapter 2 - Illusory 106, 6th floor
* Chapter 3 - Illusory Shibuya, 2rd floor 3nd section
* Chapter 4 - Illusory Daitou, Film Set A 2nd floor
* Chapter 5 - Illusory Daiba, LCD screens
* Chapter 6 - Illusory 106, 3rd floor basement
* Chapter 6 - Illusory Daitou, Film Set B 1st floor
* Chapter 6 - Illusory Daiba, after the right side door from the entrance
* Chapter 6 - Illusory Dolhr, 232m level (must clear 333m level first)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

horchata posted:

So I just got this game and I'm almost (I think) done with chapter 1. Is it better to master all the weapons before moving onto the next weapon or should I just get the weapon with the bigger numbers when it becomes available?

Always be leveling weapons. Skills can be powered up to +x versions. Later on you can reforge old weapons to +x versions too which are a bit stronger and unlock a fifth skill to learn. I'll equip the lowest level weapon that has a skill to learn before I run around with a mastered high level weapon.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

You say that, but I got one prestige across my last two battles. :negative: I had 5-7 combo sessions going, too.

Yeah, sometimes you have to put in some extra work for that stuff. I think money is a bit too common from session chains compared to the items, tbh.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I hope another SMT game absorbs the combat system of this game in some form or fashion. It's a lot more interesting/fun than the Press-turn system and it feels like there is always some kind of progression in ways to beat the poo poo out of everything you see.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
It's more like DDS than Persona, aesthetic aside.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Eopia posted:

To answer my earlier question, it appears that switching from one advanced class to the other does not remove access to the others unique weapons.

On a related note, I just dropped from 51 5-Star Prestiges to 0 and have about fifteen weapons to learn skills from, and I haven't even made all the base five star weapons let alone the + versions. The grind is real.

Thanks for the info on class changing, I'd been holding off but now I'll not do that.

If you do sidequests and fight everything you see, you'll break even by the end of the chapter-ish, give or take. The RNG can be really streaky when it comes to monster items/prestige. On the plus side, if you session the poo poo out of bosses (the chapter 5 midboss is great for this) you'll get prestiges out the rear end. the aforementioned boss dropped nearly 30 5*'s for me by the end of the fight.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, Kiria is amazing(ly situational) for Pastel Power, Ellie for Mass Destruction, Tusbasa for her SP skill that regens health and EP. Beyond that I roll with Yashiro and Mamori as my default party. Touma for when I need spear supremacy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Cake Attack posted:

the biggest non-contributor was ellie imo. just never really saw a reason to put her in a boss fight in the late game.

Yeah, Ellie is too fragile to front line most fights IMO. Mass Destruction can instantly kill adds that give you trouble if her SKL is high enough, but I usually try to session off them instead for loot so it's super situational.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Chapter 5 was very long. Chapter 6 is competing for longness. What a good game. I'm up to about 50 hours which, frankly, is more than I expected to get out of it! I'm still not bored of session based combat. It's good.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Eopia posted:

I just got the play record for 30 unread Topic messages right after I beat the Chapter 5 boss as the Unity Note just dumped all thirty on me thanks to finally having Six Star Prestiges.

Chapter 6 made me just start ignoring Unity Note because 6* prestige is slow to come in and every time you spend and then gain 5, you have to contend with 30 messages again. You unlock WAY too much poo poo in Chapter 6.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm honestly surprised the Arena itself wasn't DLC. There really isn't a faster way to level up, gain weapon levels or Performer levels. I'm doing the Advanced right now (goddamn half the AC though) and I'm probably going to be over leveled for the end of the game. I just make a nice big batch of +1 weapons, go start the arena and re-equip new ones when I'm done.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Does anyone know where the last monster for the Love-sick guy is? He said it was in a place with Floating Islands which I take to mean the final dungeon but I can't find it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Regy Rusty posted:

It's on the very first level directly across from the entrance

Thanks! That did it.

I just beat Gangrel for the second time and I'm guessing I don't have much game left. I'm spending some time finishing off weapons. The last few for everyone really dump the good skills on. Aether, Sol, Wallbreaker, etc. Thankfully the higher you go in the final dungeon, the more prestiges drop.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Finally polished it off and I'll echo others in that the leadup to the end was insane and awesome. Question about some costumes though: Do you unlock Itsuki's Marth and/or business suit costumes at any point? Seems like a shame if not.

I don't expect we'll get a sequel given how it sold in Japan, regardless of how it did here, but I hope the mechanics live on in another SMT game. This is probably the most fun I've had with a JRPG since Trails of Cold Steel.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ChaosArgate posted:

You'll get those in NG+ Season 2.

Excellent, thanks. I guess there isn't a post-game, but more content in NG+? I'll probably give myself a little break before I pick it back up. I really enjoyed grinding in this game so I spent a little bit of time before the final boss mastering everyone's weapons (and some folks +1's!). Final boss wasn't that difficult as a consequence. If I started a Lunatic game, nothing would carry over, right?

Sakurazuka posted:

Japanese sales aren't the be-all and end-all anymore, especially with games like this that will take their niche markets wherever they find them.

I hope you're right. I would buy another one of these in a heartbeat.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

cheetah7071 posted:

It's really weird that a side quest that unlocked the instant I hit chapter 4 has a recommended level of 47, and means it. If anything I'm probably a bit overleveled right now, because Mamori joined a few levels below my group.

Can I expect to get a reasonable number of 3-star presences in chapter 4 naturally, or will I have to farm the chapter 3 dungeon if I want to finish the chapter 3 unities?

I find that in any given chapter, like 20-30% of the Prestige drops will be of the grade dropped in the previous chapter. Plus, if you do the arena quest, you can just demon negotiate for them once you recruit the monster from that particular dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Strange Quark posted:

Did anyone actually use the special move they gave you for the final boss, because I don't really see why I'd use a 2 SP stall over Strike a Pose, or two 1 SP moves. People only mostly died to the boss's aoe attacks on hard. :v:

Also, is there a full list of stuff exclusive to NG+?

I used it first round which was an incredible waste. I would have liked to have used it for Dies Irae, but I'm not sure you can predict its cast.

• Locked thread