Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I fired this up for a bit just now. I was prepared to hate it, but... game seems good so far?

I like the chat logs on the Gamepad. Very cute touch and a nice bit of characterization. My main worry about the game turned out to be groundless: you CAN, in fact, turn off the voice acting entirely.

I don't yet know if that also disables the singing, but if turning of the voices also turns off the J-pop... I admit I will not be too upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just finished the first "real" dungeon (not counting the prologue one), and I'm liking this game. Just figured out how to change Tsubasa out of her... unfortunate battle outfit. It's a neat design but... couldn't they have given her a full skirt, at least? Yeesh.

Question: is there any way to tell if buffs/debuffs are still in effect? Or do I just have to count the rounds?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

CrashCat posted:

that was a very brave thing to admit on these forums :ohdear:

Hell, I've never played a Persona either. I didn't know what SMT even was until SMTIV came around, and even then the only reason I checked it out was because of that eShop discount deal with Fire Emblem Awakening.

I haven't owned a Sony system since the PS2. It's been all Nintendo all the way down.

I just reached Chapter 2 myself. That's where the ~*censorship*~ happens, so I hear. Looking forward to not caring about it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Inflammatory posted:

you should care, they replaced a boring bikini with one of the best outfits in the game.

Oh, well that's different! I look forward to seeing it, then.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Chapter 2 boss killed me in three turns

turn 1: summons goons

turn 2: the two axe fighters oneshot Tsubasa and Touma

turn 3: Boss got a critical hit and oneshots Iskuki from full HP (did 413 damage so it overkilled by about 35 HP).

loving destroyed.

I'm hardly an expert on SMT, but that sure sounds like par for the course for the series, from my limited experience. :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Why did nobody tells me his thread existed. :mad:

I'm broke and still playing Fates so this game can wait but I'm definitely getting it.

How hard is my rear end going to be kicked with no experience in the SMT/Persona series?

I'm practically a SMT newbie myself- I've only finished one game in the series it wasn't even a Persona game, and I'm not having any issues. The thing that might trip you up, if you're like me and were used to Final Fantasy systems, is names for spells. You'll have to keep looking at their effects before you memorize which is which. Fortunately the tool-tip is right there, and you can always check any skill you have equipped on the gamepad screen any time.

Also, the naming convention of elemental spells is a bit odd. Zio is the base lightning spell, for example. The multitarget version is Mazio, more powerful single-target is Ziodyne, and finally the more powerful multitarget version is Maziodyne. However, multitarget spells can easily backfire once enemies start absorbing or even reflecting elemental spells, so you might want to stick with the single target versions. They can also do that to your base physical attack so WATCH OUT. Keep a variety of elemental spells and session skills that play off them. Always target weaknesses if you can, and buff, debuff, and status moves are actually useful in this series so definitely use them!

Lastly, save early, save often. The random trash mobs CAN kick your rear end if you let them. Don't get cocky!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Len posted:

Just started chapter 2. So far I really like it but the voice track is grating just because I don't understand anything being said so it sounds like gibberish.

Why does everyone have giant jiggling boobs? Like they look like basketballs attached to their chests.

Do what I did and turn the voices off entirely. Doesn't do anything for the jiggling boobs in your face, sadly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Can some people seriously not stand to hear a language they can't understand?

I just don't find it pleasant to listen to. In particular I don't like the high, screechy voices that the lady voice actresses do. It's not a big deal, though, I can just turn off the voices and get on with my life. I'm glad the game has that option.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

e: also I beat the boss of Mamori's side story, Sukukaja + Sukunda is real good y'all

Are those the spells that affect accuracy and dodge of your party/the enemy party? The spell names still don't stick in my head well and checking the SMT wiki was supremely unhelpful.They didn't have a list of what spell does what, as far as I could tell.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

For sure. Knew it was closer to SMT than Fire Emblem but I'll put this in the "hard maybe probably yes" category

If you're looking for a good first SMT game to try, Devil Survivor: Overclocked might be up your alley. It's a strategy RPG: you move your units around on a grid and engage enemies in a standard JRPG turn-based affair. It has all the usual SMT staples like taming and fusing demons and all that. Either that or SMT IV are good first entries to the series. I've played both, but I've only finished Devil Survivor so far. It has multiple endings, too, if you're into that. Good replay value. It also goes on sale pretty frequently for ~$15. Hard to go wrong at that price!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Tsubasa is the biggest dork and this game is the best. :3:

I was just coming in here to ask how to advance that quest! I got the message about crepes, then... nothing. Where do I go to trigger the next part? The only crepe place I know is in Harajuku and nothing popped up when I went there.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I got it! I hadn't talked to the one guy hiding behind Hee Ho Mart. He blends in with the building...

Tsubasa and Itsuki are both such dorks. I love it. :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

MohShuvuu posted:

This only happens if you game over on easy mode though

Yeah, I'm playing on normal and the Savage Encounter in the Ch. 3 dungeon has been kicking my rear end, repeatedly, and the game hasn't made a peep about lowering the difficulty. I've only beaten the encounter once out of the half dozen or so times it has popped up. It's the one with the wyverns and armored knights. It's a right bastard. I think my one victory was a fluke. Oh well. I save as soon as I see them pop up, so I lose all of zero progress when they inevitably grind my rear end into paste.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

What do you do with Detritus? I've seen folks talking about it, and I've picked up some myself, but haven't seen anything to do with them.

Tsubasa's last side story is sure gonna be a thing. I attempted it when I was nowhere near the recommended level and it predictably kicked my rear end. I was able to cheese Kiria's third side story (Attack Mirror, whee!) despite being underlevelled so I thought I'd at least try. I ought to try it again, probably. The party is starting to hit 40 now and on my first attempt they were barely hitting 35.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I found the Arena! The Intermediate fight was kicking my rear end until I hit upon a solution: just throw Mamori at it! :v: (Mamori is the best.)

Anyone have a handy list of where to find all the Mirages to add to the Arena? I found the ones in the first two dungeons, and the ghost in the top hat. I thought the troll in the third dungeon would want to join up, but he just complained about the cameras, and screw scouring that lovely dungeon end to end to find another Mirage there, assuming there even is one.

Oh and thanks to everyone who posted tips about passive skills. I've been holding onto those stat-boosting skills waaaaaaaay too long. Time to go re-learn some skills!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just got the last party member! :toot:

I have an entirely baseless speculation regarding him: He's Marth, if for no other reason than I think it'd be hilarious.

Don't want a confirm/deny here, it just suddenly occurred to me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Arrrthritis posted:

So is the game good? Should I buy it now or wait for a price drop?

It's great, and if the lack of English dub bothers you, you can turn the voice acting completely off. This does not affect cutscenes or singing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SweetBro posted:

As someone who loved the absolute poo poo out of Persona 4 and the earlier FE games, is it worth buying a Wii U just for this (and possibly Bayonetta)?

Don't buy a console for only one (or two) games.

You buy a console for a bunch of cool and fun games. Which the Wii U has. So yes, buy one.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

redreader posted:

I liked persona 3 and 4, and am looking forward to persona 5. I liked fire emblem: awakening. I watched a video of this and it looked really weird. Would I enjoy this game?

Yes, you would. I've never touched a Persona and I enjoy the hell out of this game. If you like Persona, you'll love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Bogart posted:

When I need to exploit axe weakness, I will. But other than that, she's warming the bench. :colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

Her default outfit is a bunny knight.

Bunny. KNIGHT.

• Locked thread