Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

One of my favorite things is delving into the fascinating world of bootlegs and knockoffs. Have you ever been in a Toys R Us store and saw a package of Spider-man, Batman, Superman, a yellow Spider-man, and Shrek in the same package labeled "JUSTICE WARRIORS" for less than a dollar? Did a neon-purple and piss-yellow Michelangelo from TMNT with his face melted off catch your eye in the same store? Did you ever buy nondescript DVDs off Craigslist and when you played them, it turned out to be an off-centered 240p version of Pulp Fiction? Do you have fond memories of playing Mario 10 where it was actually Adventure Island but with Mario's sprite from SMB3?

If you have answered yes to any of the above, you have encountered a bootleg.

Bootlegs are in essence unofficial/unlicensed and illegal copies of existing things, especially media, typically in much lower quality than the original. Though Bootleg/knockoff toys are my personal favorites of this bizarre world, such oddities are not limited to just toys. Almost anything can be a bootleg, from fireworks, to jeans, to snacks and CDs. Buying a bootleg hurts the legitimate manufactures because they just lost a sale from the consumer buying an identical knockoff, and sometimes buying a bootleg hurts the consumer, depending on the product bought and how unsafe it is from heavily discounted manufacturing and a clear disregard of safety.

Bootlegs come in many different forms. Some are blatant, cheaply made cashgrabs that are piggy-backing off the success of the real things, while others are shining gemstones in the rough, but probably not for the reasons you'd expect.

THE GOOD

"Good" In the sense that they are very identical to the original product, can fool the uninformed, and/or probably isn't that bad in the end. And also because they can be unintentionally badass.

1940's unlicensed Spanish Batman and Robin comics, where Batman is a shirtless stud and Robin is a gun-toting sidekick. Hey, why not? Whose gonna stop you anyway?

Chinese Thomas the Train crossed with Transformers, resulting in TRANSFORMABLE THOMAS. This is just like one of my Japanese animes!

If the new Mad Max does not include the MIGHTY CAR, I'll be thoroughly disappointed.

THE BAD

The category most bootlegs typically fall under. These are very obvious, cheaply made, copyright-infringing things from the bowels of a small factory far from the stores they are being sold in.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Specialman!
Superman? Never heard of him! Specialman is the popular hero all the children like, right?

"I have seen some poo poo."

I am king of all I survey! Or am I?

THE UGLY

Not all bootlegs and knockoffs are created equal. Some are horrible, albino two-tone monstrosities, while others have appeared to be birthed straight from a steel refinery.

The adventures of Batman and Robin: Toxic Avenger style!

Disney's Sequel to Aladdin, Aladdin Colouring Book, probably won't be as good as the original.

Modern and elegant in fashion indeed. Maybe my own ideas of modern and elegant in fashion are wrong, and maybe I need to development own elephant space. Or not.

Some are beyond any categorization:

No comment.

Whether a bootleg is "good", "bad", or "ugly" and is either trash or an invaluable collectible is up to you.

So in short, post and discuss any of your favorite bootlegs or knockoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

These threads never last long, but:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ashens.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have a soft spot for BEAR of the Interest, because that gradually and accidentally became an unironic nickname for my cat.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The legendary Flying Headless Goku.

Unfortunately this page is so old that all the images are broken. The best part was the instructions, which can still be found elsewhere:

Gogo Logo
Nov 11, 2008

EorayMel posted:

Disney's Sequel to Aladdin, Aladdin Colouring Book, probably won't be as good as the original.

Holy poo poo. I have never before laughed out of terror and disbelief but here we are. It's so bad it's simultaneously scary and hilarious.

I didn't get a picture because I'm a moron but some years ago, in a trashy "Chinese shop" in eastern Europe, I saw a backpack featuring the Batman logo on the top pocket, with an image of Spiderman on the main pocket. In hindsight, maybe I should have bought it. It was pretty special.

They also had a Sonic the Hedgehog handbag, and he was yellow and brown.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You want to talk Sonic the Hedgehog bags?

I am sorry for deploying the nuclear option so early in the thread.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

RandomFerret posted:

You want to talk Sonic the Hedgehog bags?

I only just now saw the Harry Potter caption on the top of the bag. And Sonic's little yellow snot droplet dripping down his nose.

gently caress I'm finding more things the more I'm staring at it, it's like looking at the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

EorayMel posted:

"I have seen some poo poo."

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Sense of Right Alliance

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Electric Lady posted:

Sense of Right Alliance

Is the one of the left supposed to be a specific indivudual, or is it just some sort of generic Power Ranger style thing?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Tiggum posted:

Is the one of the left supposed to be a specific indivudual, or is it just some sort of generic Power Ranger style thing?

It's a car, from Cars.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tiggum posted:

it's the blue ranger from SPD

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I found something.

I found another something.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

That would make Dr Claw poo poo himself

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Sader of Destiny/Evening of Long Halting

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Disappointed that Robert Cop hasn't even been mentioned yet

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bootleg Threads Favorite:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

tzorilla
Jul 23, 2007
Found this gem from Vietnamese market:

Children are very curious.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hate to be a wet blanket but these were made by an artist as a joke.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Inzombiac posted:

I hate to be a wet blanket but these were made by an artist as a joke.

On a similar note;

"The Furniture of Law Enforcement"

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

The gently caress kinda dollar store charges two dollars?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Here's a few I spotted in Bulgaria:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

LostCosmonaut posted:

On a similar note;

"The Furniture of Law Enforcement"

Good thing it is labeled as a "TOY", otherwise I would have never figured out what this artifact is!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
THE FURNITURE OF LAW ENFORCEMENT
Johnny Five as OPTICAL PRIME

So much going on

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Who is the superior cop?
Robert Cop, OR...

MOBIL COP?

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Glad to see someone else is a fan of the Bootleg Stuff twitter.

From the same place:

Distorted Kiwi has a new favorite as of 02:01 on Jun 29, 2016

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Glad to see someone else is a fan of the Bootleg Stuff twitter.

It's the only twitter page I check daily. Always makes me laugh.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Phy posted:

Bootleg Threads Favorite:

You can't post this without the reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPiBeL-WcWI

In a similar vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcgU7TN-t0

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Postal Parcel posted:

Sader of Destiny/Evening of Long Halting

I love that the stupid thing is actually worth money because collectors seek it out.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008
Thews Knockoff Beatdown (Transformers ko's) videos are a must watch for this kind of thread.
https://youtu.be/KTESCavOtE0?list=PL5wzWWMzPzn3EdAS9m3127QND90X3M3hW

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tiberius Thyben posted:

These threads never last long, but:

I wish they did. Also now I must see this game in action, even if it's just another LCD Tetris clone...

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
This ain't your regular Jesus. This is DELUXE JESUS!

e: V Now I'm sad that there isn't a regular Jesus that this is ripping off. :(

Radio Paranoia has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Jul 1, 2016

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That's not a knockoff, it's a gag gift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

This is a masterpiece. I love how he still has the Optimus Prime style chestplate despite that no longer actually being the front of the truck.