Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:synpa:

420 snype bootleg threads all day every day with sad superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

:synpa:

420 snype bootleg threads all day every day with sad superman

Hey its Nick Cages superman!

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Jul 1, 2016

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Can a book be a bootleg? Like if somebody publishes and prints their fanfic without permission from original property owners? Because I've read this bizarre book as a kid, that was basically Demolition Man with Stallone replaced with ninja turtles, and I doubt it was officially licensed.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Choco1980 posted:

I wish they did. Also now I must see this game in action, even if it's just another LCD Tetris clone...

Nope! It's better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNbY60Y6LWM&t=10s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gabriel Pope posted:

I love how he still has the Optimus Prime style chestplate despite that no longer actually being the front of the truck.
That's actually probably the least knockoff-y aspect, not few official Transformers do that sort of thing these days to replicate old designs. Although this particular one looks like it just hides in the trailer altogether and shares no parts at all with the vehicle mode.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's actually probably the least knockoff-y aspect, not few official Transformers do that sort of thing these days to replicate old designs. Although this particular one looks like it just hides in the trailer altogether and shares no parts at all with the vehicle mode.

It gets even better once you figure out what it's actually a knockoff of.

Here's your source, only with a new head, chest and vehicle front.

So yeah, it's a knockoff based on the original inspiration of a homage toy based on another popular cartoon character. I can't readily identify the source of this one's head though.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

This is a thing of beauty and belongs in a museum

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gabriel Pope posted:

This is a masterpiece. I love how he still has the Optimus Prime style chestplate despite that no longer actually being the front of the truck.

Some real Transformers have fake altmode parts in their robot mode too.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Go go Gadget Nightmare-Fuel!

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I can't tell whether that's just a plain old slapping together of two random characters like you would see on a flea market airbrush tee shirt, or if they just had the Homer Simpson mold lying around and decided to make Astro Boy figures

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

It's terrible that he's not ultraman

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I...kinda want that toy.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Choco1980 posted:

I...kinda want that toy.

But do you also want these?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EorayMel posted:

Well, I sure don't. Especially dead eyed drowner mario

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

EorayMel posted:

Yes

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That's not a knockoff, it's a gag gift.

It might not even be a gag gift. There's always been various lines of Christian action figures. There used to be a toy store where I lived called "Family Toy Warehouse". Typical Toy Store, with Star Wars, Transformers, Barbie, etc, but they also had a section of Christian toys. David and Goliath action figures, and a Jesus who had wheels at his base so he "Glide".

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Forgall posted:

Can a book be a bootleg? Like if somebody publishes and prints their fanfic without permission from original property owners? Because I've read this bizarre book as a kid, that was basically Demolition Man with Stallone replaced with ninja turtles, and I doubt it was officially licensed.

In several ways that I know of, yes. Between the 5 and 6th Harry Potter books several Chinese bootlegs occurred, one of which was called something like "Harry Potter and the Walk-Up Leopard" and was the text of the Hobbit with Bilbo and co ctrl-f'ed with Harry and pals.

Also, there have been several sequels to Gone With The Wind of varying legality. The two proper sequels, authorized by Margret Mitchell's estate, range in quality from absolutely weird and terrible ("Scarlett", which is very bad but remains a guilty pleasure of mine) and "Rhett Butler's People", which is actually a p good book and really expands on him as a character (but also destroys it in a way), all things considered, but was so overshadowed by the trainwreck that was "Scarlett" that it was downplayed significantly when it came out. They also made a mini-series out of "Scarlett" which was somehow even worse than the book.

However, here's where it gets tricky. Around 2000 a book called "The Wind Done Gone" was published. It was the journal of Scarlett's illegitimate half sister that her father had with Mammy. It was released around the time that it came out that Jefferson had children with Sally Hemmings so it was a big ticket issue. Mitchell's estate contested it and tried to have it suppressed because I guess it besmirched the good name of fictional slaveholders from 150 years ago. I read it and it was okay I guess, nothing amazing, it was really more that it was a new item than anything else.

Furthermore, there is a sequel that is only legally available in Australia called "The Winds of Tara" due to to copyright laws. I haven't read it, but the fact that it's illegal to sell outside of Australia makes it contraband, which I think is bootleg territory. I can't really say anything more about it.

Anyway, on a different note, where Elmo is going Elmo doesn't need eyes to see-

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

kith_groupie posted:

one of which was called something like "Harry Potter and the Walk-Up Leopard" and was the text of the Hobbit with Bilbo and co ctrl-f'ed with Harry and pals.
I absolutely need a copy of that, that sounds like the perfect gift to give to someonei know that's a fan of both series and oddball stuff

Holy crap i need a copy for myself also
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8t1ne7Kk--/18s0gxi0jf2bxjpg.jpg

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Jul 10, 2016

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

I absolutely need a copy of that, that sounds like the perfect gift to give to someonei know that's a fan of both series and oddball stuff

Holy crap i need a copy for myself also
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8t1ne7Kk--/18s0gxi0jf2bxjpg.jpg

Harry Potter vs the Maleficent Dragon?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Illusion State,

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I see your Illusion State, and raise you TOYS MADE IN CHINA

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When I was in Thailand a couple years ago there was a stand at a night market selling some pretty great knock-off sport shirts. I ended up picking up a few (sorry for the messy bed)-

Football shirts with hosed up names/logos-

(yes the dolphin is wearing sunglasses)

Back of the Dolphins shirt (in between the shoulder blades)-

Back of the Raiders shirt-

The symbol to the left of the helmet is the logo for Super Bowl XXXIV :psyberger:

Off-color hockey-

Picking up this one was actually kind of prescient, as we moved to Philly about six months after the trip so I got to wear it unironically. Someone tried to tell me that these were actually the Flyers' colors a long time ago but I can't confirm that.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Jul 14, 2016

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
"Oakland Riders" t-shirt: now with unintended subtext!

Rampart-Like Scandal Rocks Oakland Justice System, Politics

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Finding Nemo was pretty good. I heard they made a sequel. Let's check it out!

Erm, well...

quote:

- Main fish befriends a group of friendly “ugly” fish, including a rockfish, Anglerfish, lumpfish, blobfish, goblin shark, and a fat seahorse (the highest tier of fishes)

- An unusually long section where a character describing how lateral lines on fish work

- Moray eels are portrayed as good, but dolphins as sadistic predators

- A Sea Cucumber who farts all the time accurately describing how he defeats his enemies by making GBS threads out his intestines, and how seacucumbers pride themselves in how far they can spray their innards out

- An octopus fights a seasnake by taking the recently discovered long lost sons of the sea cucumber and squeezing their intestines out of their assholes .

-Moral of the movie was being a lumpy, ugly or mutated is ok

Bonus picture:

Taken from here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Dolphins are murderous assholes and Morays are very friendly, tbf

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

Dolphins are murderous assholes and Morays are very friendly, tbf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npP8maVti7o

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Oh gosh :kimchi:
I think you're a couple threads over, friend, the cute animal thread is thataway ->

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Holy poo poo, do these ever show up on eBay or is against policy? Any legit way to play this? Also does that part in the beginning mean that's literally W you play as?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Holy poo poo, do these ever show up on eBay or is against policy? Any legit way to play this? Also does that part in the beginning mean that's literally W you play as?

Bootlegs show up on eBay all the time, the rare ones like this are very expensive while the cheap popular ones (pokemon rom hacks mostly) can be very cheap (fives of dollars). The only bootlegs I know that are officially banned on eBay are Pokemon ones because there was some drama a few years back with poorly flashed roms that could basically brick your system along with a lot of sketchy Pokemon romhacks with tons of swearing being bought by innocent parents. They still show up on eBay however (you can basically assume any GBA copy of Pokemon on eBay is a fake) and the really fun ones (Naranja, Chaos Black, etc) pop up on Aliexpress and similar sites with frequency.

I had a friend who used to collect Pokemon hacks and bootlegs, some of them are really quite odd.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

RandomFerret posted:

You want to talk Sonic the Hedgehog bags?

I am sorry for deploying the nuclear option so early in the thread.

I want to know the story behind that Chip and Dale thing.

Also I must have that backpack.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The best part is that since the backpack has become so popular, there are probably bootlegs of that bootleg!

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I want to know the story behind that Chip and Dale thing.

Those are lyrics from a 50 Cent song. Not sure how they ended up on a Chip and Dale wallet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYTuBeaUzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vli0jcfAO3M

Improbable Lobster has a new favorite as of 20:51 on Jul 20, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

spudsbuckley posted:

Those are lyrics from a 50 Cent song. Not sure how they ended up on a Chip and Dale wallet.

Popular thing + cartoon character is like the main staple of the bootleg universe.

nihilistic_fish
Mar 3, 2004
"Anyone in a free society where the laws are unjust has an obligation to break the law." - Henry David Thoreau
Here is a neat idea a buddy of mine made recently:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

nihilistic_fish posted:

Thanks. I shall never sleep again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

nihilistic_fish posted:

If he sells these then link me up, I know someone who'd go batshit for something like that.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Forgall posted:

This thing gets posted now and then and of course it seems like it's just a bootleg/fanfic or something but it's actually some sort of postmodern fuckery by an award-winning russian writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Is Inuyasha actually in the book? This is important.