Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Aesop Poprock posted:

I dunno when the last time you've seen star wars action figures was but they don't usually look like brittle monstrosities like that Darth Maul, and the lightsabers and weapons aren't just uncolored cookie-cutter plastic

I didn't say they were definitely official, but I guarantee those names are photoshopped on there and not actually part of the packaging. It looks like they just had a ton of spare Queen Amidala cards and used those to blister pack their knockoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's the source by the way:

https://www.wholesaleclearance.co.uk/blog/attack-of-the-poorly-made-clones/

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Eh, even if those are fake, there are very real examples of that popping up all the time. I work for a coin-op company, and the generic plush we get for our cranes is full of stuff like that. About a year back there was a poo poo ton of scooby-doo plush made from what was clearly leftover materials. I'm talking plaid and puke green fabric. The tag said "Adventure Dog". I was looking for a picture of some on their website, and while I didn't find any, I did notice they have a prize section called "Adulting". They just don't give a poo poo, because they know we'll buy from whoever has the cheapest plush.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Domus posted:

Eh, even if those are fake, there are very real examples of that popping up all the time. I work for a coin-op company, and the generic plush we get for our cranes is full of stuff like that. About a year back there was a poo poo ton of scooby-doo plush made from what was clearly leftover materials. I'm talking plaid and puke green fabric. The tag said "Adventure Dog". I was looking for a picture of some on their website, and while I didn't find any, I did notice they have a prize section called "Adulting". They just don't give a poo poo, because they know we'll buy from whoever has the cheapest plush.

Yeah but it was called "Adventure Dog" not "Spoopy Dude" so it's not at all the same thing.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

EorayMel posted:

Pretty much.

Here's my favorite video from the phenomenon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_KxO1ABko

I'm surprized Disney hasn't sued them into nonexistence.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but it was called "Adventure Dog" not "Spoopy Dude" so it's not at all the same thing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kheldarn has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Sep 11, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

El Estrago Bonito posted:

No that has to do with the fact that YT is a google service and being a google service that is several years old it now is suffering from Google's love of rolling out major updates without telling anyone or doing any kind of beta testing whatsoever because "we're google and what other choice do they have". They have, without really telling anyone this, clearly rolled out a completely new set of content moderation bots in the past few months that are deciding that the best way to handle content is to mass flag anything that could possibly be objectionable or non-advertiser friendly and then force people to deal with it on a case by case basis and hope that the rear end in a top hat or weird fetish/nazi/white supremacist/bully channels don't bother with the appeals process and just quit altogether. Basically they are using the content monitoring system to trial-by-fire all their major big money channels and force them to enter the appeals process so they can cull all the people they don't like. It's a bad idea, they've been extremely deceptive about it, and it's starting to backfire on them. Because of how poor their filtering is, they've managed to de-monetize a bunch of videos by people who were making content that was legitimately helping people with depression and other mental issues and stuff designed to help people who were sexual assault victims. A lot of people think that they're doing it so they can force anyone who isn't making 100% ultra sanitized content that YT can use as it's "face" to have to make money using alternate revenue streams (IE Twitch and Patreon). This is a huge coup for YT because they've basically deep sixed all their competitors and claimed a virtual monopoly on video hosting where creators can make money. There really isn't another stable option for people to choose, so now they're forced to choose between "make revenue free videos on YT (which YT gets to still make money on BTW) and get money from Twitch subs or Patreon donations" and "Make content that contains no confrontational topics, serious issues, swearing or excessive violence, so that YT can expand it's advertiser base."

The solution is very simple and has been suggested by many people: When you make a video you need to be able to select some meta-tags for your video (IE: Adult content/language, Serious issues, graphic violence, etc) basically a version of the MPAA or ESRB rating system, and then they need to use this to sell ads. There's actually a lot of advertisers who would be willing to buy ads for only adult content videos, people like rated R movies, alcoholic drinks, late night TV shows, etc and so it's pretty dumb to just cut those videos out of the revenue stream, they instead need to incorporate it in a way that lets advertisers target the demographics who like those kinds of videos. Jim Beam probably doesn't want to throw it's ads in front of Pewdiepie videos, but I can't imagine they would have an issue with someone like Jim Sterling . In fact in the US, if you used those tags to gate things by age, you could get around a lot of the advertising restrictions that surround things like smoking products and booze so it seems like pretty win-win scenario.

I suspect something like that will be the end result and that this purge is most to get rid of people like Scarce and FAZE and the multitudes of channels that make money off of bullying kids and posting thousands of videos about drama and people's personal lives.

If google is trying to bust those channels they're doing it in the most rear end backwards and worthless way possible. I suspect that it's google's advertiser bootlicking, like every single other thing they do. If google/youtube had any serious competitors theybm would fold in months.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Improbable Lobster posted:

If google is trying to bust those channels they're doing it in the most rear end backwards and worthless way possible. I suspect that it's google's advertiser bootlicking, like every single other thing they do. If google/youtube had any serious competitors theybm would fold in months.

A good example would be how Youtube gaming has failed in a massive sense when compared to Twitch because of how broken YT's copyright claim system is. Despite having a massively larger install base and basically everything going for it to be a powerful videogame streaming platform (including being the place where 99% of all popular gaming videos are watched) they have totally poo poo the bed because when any popular YT person decides to stream they will get copyright striked and have their stream pulled. Usually within 20 minutes. The issue is that even if the strike isn't legitimate (which is usually never is) if you get a pending strike on your account it locks your ability to stream. So literally all that has to happen is a 12 year old kid gets mad because he gets killed in Overwatch by some YT person and he can go and be like "I AM TOTALLY MARVELS COMICS AND THIS MAN IS STEALING MY COPYRIGHT" and then 9/10 they will be unable to stream for, usually, around 48 hours.

But yeah, a lot of it is bowing to advertiser pressure from certain advertisers. They already gate some ads based on whether your videos are adult tagged or not, they basically have every alcoholic beverage brand in their corner because of that and make a whole grip of money from them. And something tells me those brands don't give a gently caress. The issue is that something like 75&+ of YT's monetized traffic and highest earning video creators are producing content for people under the age of 18 and if they really want to seize the market on that they need to tighten up on what vids are getting ads. Companies like Hasbro (and especially Hasbro, I can say from personal experience working with a Nerf and HvZ club in HS and College) are incredibly anal about where their ads appear and what kind of content they appear in front of. I know when we were running our college HvZ club they had a ton of restrictions about us using the Nerf logo (not just copyright things, stuff like "flyers with the logo can't be posted at bars, clubs or other adult only establishments"). A while back my friend worked with a non-profit hospital charity that was doing Star Wars stuff and while they were allowed to run a TV ad the restrictions on when they were allowed to run the ad and what programming it was could be on during was equally odd.

Those kinds of advertisers don't want a lot of the popular channels to get their ads, even if those channels are big with kids. They don't want their ads in front of content where people make fun of other people, swear a lot, make off color jokes, or any of the myriad other things that happen on basically every "hardcore gaming" youtube show. But YT doesn't wan't to kick all those people off officially because putting all your eggs in one basket isn't a good plan, they wan't to try and force them to toe the line or have a valid reason to get rid of them produced by their system. It's like when you work at a job where the boss hates one employee so they start trying to dig up dirt on them by casually talking to other employees so they can have a "real" reason to fire them. But on the internet, and also everyone involved makes hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

I think these are comics.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Well, there was a recent Batman/TMNT crossover, so I think these guys beat DC to the punch. Holy Lawsuit, b3TM3H!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

El Estrago Bonito posted:

A good example would be how Youtube gaming has failed in a massive sense when compared to Twitch because of how broken YT's copyright claim system is. Despite having a massively larger install base and basically everything going for it to be a powerful videogame streaming platform (including being the place where 99% of all popular gaming videos are watched) they have totally poo poo the bed because when any popular YT person decides to stream they will get copyright striked and have their stream pulled. Usually within 20 minutes. The issue is that even if the strike isn't legitimate (which is usually never is) if you get a pending strike on your account it locks your ability to stream. So literally all that has to happen is a 12 year old kid gets mad because he gets killed in Overwatch by some YT person and he can go and be like "I AM TOTALLY MARVELS COMICS AND THIS MAN IS STEALING MY COPYRIGHT" and then 9/10 they will be unable to stream for, usually, around 48 hours.

But yeah, a lot of it is bowing to advertiser pressure from certain advertisers. They already gate some ads based on whether your videos are adult tagged or not, they basically have every alcoholic beverage brand in their corner because of that and make a whole grip of money from them. And something tells me those brands don't give a gently caress. The issue is that something like 75&+ of YT's monetized traffic and highest earning video creators are producing content for people under the age of 18 and if they really want to seize the market on that they need to tighten up on what vids are getting ads. Companies like Hasbro (and especially Hasbro, I can say from personal experience working with a Nerf and HvZ club in HS and College) are incredibly anal about where their ads appear and what kind of content they appear in front of. I know when we were running our college HvZ club they had a ton of restrictions about us using the Nerf logo (not just copyright things, stuff like "flyers with the logo can't be posted at bars, clubs or other adult only establishments"). A while back my friend worked with a non-profit hospital charity that was doing Star Wars stuff and while they were allowed to run a TV ad the restrictions on when they were allowed to run the ad and what programming it was could be on during was equally odd.

Those kinds of advertisers don't want a lot of the popular channels to get their ads, even if those channels are big with kids. They don't want their ads in front of content where people make fun of other people, swear a lot, make off color jokes, or any of the myriad other things that happen on basically every "hardcore gaming" youtube show. But YT doesn't wan't to kick all those people off officially because putting all your eggs in one basket isn't a good plan, they wan't to try and force them to toe the line or have a valid reason to get rid of them produced by their system. It's like when you work at a job where the boss hates one employee so they start trying to dig up dirt on them by casually talking to other employees so they can have a "real" reason to fire them. But on the internet, and also everyone involved makes hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars.

Yeah, if goog actually gave a gently caress about the people that make the content then they would have just implemented a more thorough flagging system for monetized content instead of the binary Adult Content - Yes/No.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

graybook posted:

Well, there was a recent Batman/TMNT crossover, so I think these guys beat DC to the punch. Holy Lawsuit, b3TM3H!

And Turtles is a parody of Frank Miller's run on Daredevil where he was basically writing Batman fan fiction. So it's sort of all connected

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

And Turtles is a parody of Frank Miller's run on Daredevil where he was basically writing Batman fan fiction. So it's sort of all connected

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

kith_groupie posted:

Between the 5 and 6th Harry Potter books several Chinese bootlegs occurred, one of which was called something like "Harry Potter and the Walk-Up Leopard" and was the text of the Hobbit with Bilbo and co ctrl-f'ed with Harry and pals.

Necroquoting this from pages ago - would anyone have any idea how to find something like this? I've got a friend who loves Harry Potter and this would make a great gag gift.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Don't forget the other famous heroes assemble!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Giant Isopod posted:

Necroquoting this from pages ago - would anyone have any idea how to find something like this? I've got a friend who loves Harry Potter and this would make a great gag gift.

I didn't find a place to actually get it, but a bit of googling tells me the title is actually "Harry Potter and the Leopard-Walk-Up-To Dragon", if that helps any.

Edit: And there's some excerpts over here.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

My favorite Lego knockoff is Star Weiners.

Although Star Cnntend Fnr Hegemnny is good too.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
Shame on you all for forgetting about the best bootleg and piece of goon history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WyWWAgtjYc

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I remember Amusing Duck being the real deal, who's popularity spawned a knock off that still laid eggs but had absolutely terrifying music.

e. Hmmm, yeah, sure this music chip will work, they just want a duck that lays eggs right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPU4tRDWIc

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Years and years ago I found an Amusing Duck in a discount store and gave it to someone as a present. They'd never heard of it and thought it was a lovely gift and no doubt threw it away afterwards. What a goddamned waste. :(

If anyone desperately wants one they turn up on eBay every now and then.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SiliconX posted:

Shame on you all for forgetting about the best bootleg and piece of goon history:

I kinda want an amusing duck now.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My brother and I have exclusively bought each other horrible/pitiful/just plain stupid or weird toys and figurines for every holiday since we were kids. Amusing Duck is my goddamn holy grail.

For content, here's some knockoff Fiddle-Faddle I saw in a ditch:

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Sep 14, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

whiteyfats posted:

I kinda want an amusing duck now.

Crow Jane posted:

Amusing Duck is my goddamn holy grail.

I actually linked to an original Amusing Duck eBay auction in my earlier post but it doesn't have the box which is a HUGE part of its charm.

Lay egg isn't true. :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Why do I want an Amusing Duck so much?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

EorayMel posted:

Don't forget the other famous heroes assemble!

I wish that was a real bootleg, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's a whole ton of bootleg/ripoff TMNT toys, possibly due to the fact that there's been hundreds and hundreds of official TMNT figures to inspire them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Hey I have a bunch of individual "Lego" people from that line, if they weren't on my desk at work I'd post them.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I kinda like the Turly Gang guy

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't recall the TMNT having machine guns.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

They did have guns but I can't remember whether or not they were of the machine persuasion.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

It was a gift from a friend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

m2pt5 posted:

Edit: And there's some excerpts over here.

quote:

Harry was a 5th-year student at Hogwartz School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
A rare look at what Harry Potter would have been like in the early-mid 90s.

zedprime posted:

I remember Amusing Duck being the real deal, who's popularity spawned a knock off that still laid eggs but had absolutely terrifying music.

e. Hmmm, yeah, sure this music chip will work, they just want a duck that lays eggs right
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUPU4tRDWIc
I'm partial to THE GOOSE. Looking at the bottom of the box, that looks like the same model repainted, but features better guillotine bumflap action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCid-GypGI&t=260s

Bonus!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWPVL1xqDQg

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pastry of the Year posted:

It was a gift from a friend.

prodater how is yourn delicious pizzo

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

SiliconX posted:

Easter goose version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCid-GypGI&t=260s

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

this seems like a pretty lovely knockoff of the post two above your own.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

A rare look at what Harry Potter would have been like in the early-mid 90s
I mean why even set a book series if the nineties if you're not goiingf to include any rad nineties stuff. It wa s a mistake for Rowling to not at least have magic slap bracelets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

rodbeard posted:

I mean why even set a book series if the nineties if you're not goiingf to include any rad nineties stuff. It wa s a mistake for Rowling to not at least have magic slap bracelets.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Used Republica CDs