Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
This lady in the leopard print gleefully celebrating the loss of trillions of dollars and economic destruction of her country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Economics chat: I am extremely worried about this loving up the USD-Yen exchange rate again. It was pretty rough for our partners for a while there when the yen was 90 or less against the dollar and it made any trip to Japan eye-crossingly expensive. It also makes exporting things like game software unattractive because the partners get less value per dollar.

It was a pain in the rear end trying to set up my little localization business in the long wake of the 2008 financial crisis, and I was happy that things had finally stabilized a bit. This is going to be worse than it ever was, isn't it. :(

breaklaw posted:

Scotland might be out of the UK in 5 years time but what about Northern Ireland? Would they actually really leave the union over this? Twitter is saying so but I can't see it.

If the population and local government decide they want to remain in the EU & retain EU benefits, then hell yes Northern Ireland will vote to split from England in some fashion.

This has an extremely real danger of breaking up the United Kingdom, and a lot faster than five years. Edinburgh and Belfast are going to listen to their constituents and pay attention to their economic self-interest.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

axeil posted:

Will there be new elections? If labour and the SNP win can they tell the UKIPers and other idiots to gently caress off and cancel the exit?

almost certainly. cameron will resign tomorrow morning or maybe on monday, the tories won't be able to put up a candidate, chaos reigns

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

In all fairness, those increasing life expectancy numbers are probably overly optimistic now.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

breaklaw posted:

Scotland might be out of the UK in 5 years time but what about Northern Ireland? Would they actually really leave the union over this? Twitter is saying so but I can't see it.

Sinn Fein are calling for unification elections, sooooooooo

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Is there anyway that jackass Nigel Ferage can be made PM.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Unpopular opinion on places like this, but I think once things settle in a few weeks England will kind of balance out, at least as far as a lot of the pound panic goes. This does not mean England will have 0 connections to the EU or anything ridiculous like that, but yeah this is a pretty big loving deal. Can't help but to feel in the long term UK is going to really need to strengthen trade with the rest of the Anglo world and India. Also, this will definitely embolden far right groups throughout Europe proper.

Interesting times.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

blue squares posted:

No it doesn't. It's a shiny rock.

Purestrain gold is a more logical basis for currency than anything else.

Edit: nm, should've checked the post count

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Welp, no European tax ID number for me!

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Hollismason posted:

Is there anyway that jackass Nigel Ferage can be made PM.

Prime Ministers are the leaders of the party with the largest number of votes.

Unless Farage goes over to the Tories, he'll never have that kind of majority. UKIP is tiny. They're the Libertarian Party of England.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Space Bat posted:

Gold is immutable and has inherent value. You should have listened, but did you? No. gently caress you.
lmao at this post

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

lmao at this post

he's not wrong you know

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Why stop at gold, brits buy as much bitcoin as you can now!!!!

For the love of god don't.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

SpaceDrake posted:

This has an extremely real danger of breaking up the United Kingdom, and a lot faster than five years. Edinburgh and Belfast are going to listen to their constituents and pay attention to their economic self-interest.

Not long ago Scotland had a referendum to leave UK and stayed in only by a hairs width anyway. This just gives them another excuse to try pulling the trigger again.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

Unpopular opinion on places like this, but I think once things settle in a few weeks England will kind of balance out, at least as far as a lot of the pound panic goes. This does not mean England will have 0 connections to the EU or anything ridiculous like that, but yeah this is a pretty big loving deal. Can't help but to feel in the long term UK is going to really need to strengthen trade with the rest of the Anglo world and India. Also, this will definitely embolden far right groups throughout Europe proper.

Interesting times.

I mean they don't use the Euro so at least they avoid that, but it's like shooting yourself in the foot and saying "well at least it wasn't with a shotgun." The short term economic damage alone makes it not worth it since they're still going to take immigrants and not kick out all the Pakistani people or whatever UKIPers want. They get nothing out of it and hurt themselves in the process.

Is David Cameron the dumbest prime minister in UK history?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

smell this posted:

he's not wrong you know
what is the inherent value of gold? it's just a less volatile market. If you put your money in bonds it'd be more or less equally well off

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

axeil posted:

The big question: does this mean the UK is not invited to next year's Eurovision :ohdear:

iceland and switzerland get to go, but it would be extra hilarious if britain is specifically barred from entering

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

At this point there's probably a chance they'd vote to end Democracy all together and reinstate the Monarchies powers.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

How soon we forget.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

axeil posted:

I mean they don't use the Euro so at least they avoid that, but it's like shooting yourself in the foot and saying "well at least it wasn't with a shotgun." The short term economic damage alone makes it not worth it since they're still going to take immigrants and not kick out all the Pakistani people or whatever UKIPers want. They get nothing out of it and hurt themselves in the process.

Is David Cameron the dumbest prime minister in UK history?

Don't get me wrong, I am not really saying this was a good idea. I just don't see a UK apocalypse or anything.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Hollismason posted:

At this point there's probably a chance they'd vote to end Democracy all together and reinstate the Monarchies powers.

Long live the Queen!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lemming posted:

Lmao you loving idiots

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

straight up brolic posted:

what is the inherent value of gold? it's just a less volatile market. If you put your money in bonds it'd be more or less equally well off

Gold? No. But silver is a different story.

:smug:

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Gold? No. But silver is a different story.

gently caress off Silverfag. Go back to Reddit. gently caress you.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I like Scotland being like " Uh these guys aren't our friends, really we just caught a ride here with them, we don't really know them"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Space Bat posted:

Gold is immutable and has inherent value. You should have listened, but did you? No. gently caress you.

Or bitcoin, right?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Space Bat posted:

gently caress off Silverfag. Go back to Reddit. gently caress you.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

axeil posted:

I mean clearly they are not otherwise stay would've won in a landslide, but the point it's making is there's a strong age differentiation and leaving will gently caress them longer than those who voted to do it.

Perhaps they should consider moving to a voting system where your vote is weighted based on your life expectancy...

why not factor in how well-informed one's opinions are, which roughly correlates with age

hold on

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

Don't get me wrong, I am not really saying this was a good idea. I just don't see a UK apocalypse or anything.

Oh. True. Yeah they'll still be there it's just...why in the Queen's name would you do this?

Generations from now people are still going to be confused as poo poo by this.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

EVERY loving METAL LOOKS LIKE SILVER. GOLD IS YELLOW!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Britain drunkenly vomits all over the European Unions Couch. Scotland disavows their friendship.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
So is this gonna be "GFC 2: This time it's Britain!"?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Space Bat posted:

EVERY loving METAL LOOKS LIKE SILVER. GOLD IS YELLOW!!!

Bromine :colbert:

poo poo is bromine a metal? Uh if not then pretend j said Copper up there.

Hollismason posted:

Britain drunkenly vomits all over the European Unions Couch. Scotland disavows their friendship.

Northern Ireland gets back with its ex and pretends the time they stabbed them didn't happen.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
How likely is Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving the UK now?

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

unlawfulsoup posted:

Interesting times.

The shock will wear off, but governments and multinationals are going to make this as painful for the UK as possible to let voters in other countries know what awaits them if they try something similar.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Scotland just had a referendum that barely sided with stay but given the new reality and the SNP having almost every seat in Scotland you can bet they'll try and get another vote.

For Northern Ireland who knows, but Irish unification would be hilarious as a result of this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

hooman posted:

Not necessarily, the incoming reaction is just a manifestation of how no one knows what the gently caress is about to happen and as such, PANIC PANIC SELL SELL :supaburn:

I'm not very hopeful though.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Crowsbeak posted:

More likely than any time in the last 30 years, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

hooman posted:

It's not yet clear because it's early. The Nikkei is down over 8% because the yen jumped 5% on even the dollar. Hang Seng and the other Asian markets are only down 4%. Rumors are that the Europeans are planning for a blood bath and the US seems destined to lose 4-5% tomorrow as well.

The long-term effects are less clear. It could result in the remaining bits of any asset bubbles popping or it might not. Companies that depend on exports to Europe are screwed for sure, but other companies may just suffer from the general markets (perhaps not at all after the next few weeks). We also will probably see a couple tenths of a percent of GDP growth cut at a minimum, and we probably won't see any interest hikes now.

No matter what though, the U.K. is hosed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

axeil posted:

Scotland just had a referendum that barely sided with stay but given the new reality and the SNP having almost every seat in Scotland you can bet they'll try and get another vote.

For Northern Ireland who knows, but Irish unification would be hilarious as a result of this.

I haven't been keeping up on the Ireland thread but I'm assuming that's still its own shitshow. Long live the Free State of Belfast, maybe?

• Locked thread