Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

So Britain's retort to the US electing Trump is going to be parliament taking the ruling about having to vote on Art. 50, and instead of just voting that poo poo down good and proper, just voting to invoke anyway isn't it?

Parliament was always going to vote to invoke it. Corbyn said he wouldn't block it from the outset and even if he threatened to do so, there's enough Labour MPs who've decided we need to go all in on Brexit and hate Corbyn to the point that voting against his wishes would sweeten the deal if he tried to block it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Baron Corbyn posted:

Parliament was always going to vote to invoke it. Corbyn said he wouldn't block it from the outset and even if he threatened to do so, there's enough Labour MPs who've decided we need to go all in on Brexit and hate Corbyn to the point that voting against his wishes would sweeten the deal if he tried to block it.

Lib Dems, SNP plus London Con/Lab may well vote against. However the parties as a whole are too terrified of losing seats to a UKIP insurgency to be seen voting against.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Yea. This is all the dastardly Labour party's fault

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cerv posted:

Cooooooorbyn! :argh:

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

Lib Dems, SNP plus London Con/Lab may well vote against. However the parties as a whole are too terrified of losing seats to a UKIP insurgency to be seen voting against.

I genuinely think that the more MPs look like they will block the vote, which is deep down, what most will want to do, they risk large scale UKIP wins in the next GE so either way were kinda double hosed.

MPs blocking the vote will give them the perfect message to pull voters over to their side.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cerv posted:

Indeed

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
McDonnel and Corbyn are both committed to Brexit. The Labour leadership are not interested in opposing it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

hitchensgoespop posted:

I genuinely think that the more MPs look like they will block the vote, which is deep down, what most will want to do, they risk large scale UKIP wins in the next GE so either way were kinda double hosed.

MPs blocking the vote will give them the perfect message to pull voters over to their side.

So they'd rather stay mp's but let brexit happen?

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

got any sevens posted:

So they'd rather stay mp's but let brexit happen?

Does that surprise you?

E: unless something changes I doubt labour will be able to do much. I'd be very surprised if, when all's said and done, the government isn't able to secure a majority from tory mps alone

Gum fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 16, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. Our government is useless. They're operating on the level of children. Worse in some cases. The only hope is for outside forces to make Brexit look increasingly suicidal for the country. The worst case scenario is for things to be slightly but progressively bad so that we can sleep walk to destruction. Everything goes to poo poo = Brexit cancelled, we're saved! Nothing goes to poo poo = Brexit not so bad I guess, shame about the racism. Things promise to get worse but nothing terrible happening right at this moment = Brexit happens, 10 years time the country is a economic and cultural wreck.

We're on the "Trump becomes president" timeline so expect the worst option to happen. Buckle up.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to reboot from an earlier save state? Or is it not worth it because we didn't collect the right things before the last save?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

RandomPauI posted:

Is there any way to reboot from an earlier save state? Or is it not worth it because we didn't collect the right things before the last save?

Looks like people are quite eager to try and load that "England-Empire-Postwar_1950.sav" file, but it must have gotten corrupted somewhere along the way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hollow Talk posted:

Looks like people are quite eager to try and load that "England-Empire-Postwar_1950.sav" file, but it must have gotten corrupted somewhere along the way.

god damnit churchill

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hollow Talk posted:

Have to go back to an earlier save file.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Have to go back to an earlier save file.

Time to try renegade on that whole Magna Carta businesses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Please don't savescum :mad:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
if you keep going the way you are now... you're gonna have a bad time.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

so according to spiegel online the Buckingham palace will be rennovated for 370 million. Are these the NHS millions?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ineptmule posted:

Maybe, in a way, that is best - ends this fannying around with the issue that we've had for a hundred or so years.

It would make my/my wife's immigration status a lot easier and cheaper!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but democracy always has limits. If UKIP somehow pressured David Cameron into holding a referendum where 50%+1 of voters (with, let's say, a 50% turnout) said yes to the question "Should the United Kingdom strip citizenship from and subsequently enslave all non-white people?" that still doesn't mean it should happen and Parliament would be well within their rights to shut it down as unconstitutional.

I have bad news for you about our constitution, or lack of it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That always throws me off. The court there determines if a UK law is constitutional but there's no formal constitution so it's done entirely based on case law and the relevant laws with no formal set of principles about what is and isn't important. It's obviously not impossible but it's just so clunky.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

RandomPauI posted:

That always throws me off. The court there determines if a UK law is constitutional but there's no formal constitution so it's done entirely based on case law and the relevant laws with no formal set of principles about what is and isn't important. It's obviously not impossible but it's just so clunky.

Also silly and anachronistic, i.e. very British.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

caps on caps on caps posted:

so according to spiegel online the Buckingham palace will be rennovated for 370 million. Are these the NHS millions?

It's OK, it's just one week of the NHS millions from leaving the dastardly EU. Next up, 10 weeks of NHS money will be spent on refurbishing & repairing the Palace of Westminster because that poo poo is falling down & leaky as gently caress. Soon because of the NHS millions we'll be the most well off country in the world, huzzah for Brexit!

RandomPauI posted:

What's great is how precious British conservatives get when you point out how loving stupid our "unwritten constitution" is. Tradition is a really powerful drug.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

caps on caps on caps posted:

I bet that money could feed a loooot of poor people

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

got any sevens posted:

A lot less than pre-brexit though

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

got any sevens posted:

Perhaps, but as it only represents 0.16% of the UK's £230 billion annual benefits bill I'm not sure how much impact it would have nationally.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Letting national monuments decay into dust also seems a less than ideal solution to feeding the poor.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why?

Seriously, if it was, hypothetically, enough to make a meaningful difference, why not let it crumble? Can't feed people with palaces.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think we're rich enough to feed our poor people and preserve our national monuments. We don't have to choose.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's why it was a hypothetical. Try harder.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Because the ideal solution is to feed the poor and maintain our monuments at the same time.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bates posted:

Because the ideal solution is to feed the poor and maintain our monuments at the same time.

you can't feed the poor without burning a few palaces and the ideal solution is to feed the poor and wipe the scourge of monarchy from the earth forever

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Spangly A posted:

you can't feed the poor without burning a few palaces and the ideal solution is to feed the poor and wipe the scourge of monarchy from the earth forever

Dismantling our cultural heritage should be the last way to find money in the budget and Buckingham is still going to be there after you guillotine the queen and abolish monarchy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bates posted:

Dismantling our cultural heritage should be the last way to find money in the budget and Buckingham is still going to be there after you guillotine the queen and abolish monarchy.

We've not exactly got a paucity of castles. If they want to repair their home, why can't the bastards sell off a couple of those? How many do you need anyway?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

Why?

Seriously, if it was, hypothetically, enough to make a meaningful difference, why not let it crumble? Can't feed people with palaces.

You couldn't feed people with the biggest tourist attraction in the country? I mean I guess that is true in a literal sense but uuuuuuuuuh. :raise:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's the Royal family that needs to go. The country then gets all the money generated by idiots who think palaces are interesting.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
You say that, but the Royals are a net benefit to the Treasury, to the tune of something like a hundred million pounds or so.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Quinntan posted:

You say that, but the Royals are a net benefit to the Treasury, to the tune of something like a hundred million pounds or so.

Please show your workings to support this statement.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm assuming it's the tourism argument?

Or about how the crown estate is technically private property that they graciously let the government keep the profits from, like any scenario involving the abolition of the monarchy will let them keep things that are essentially state assets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Isn't the biggest recipient of EU farm subsidies the English Crown? Guess that's one gravy train that's over

• Locked thread