Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Probably more. An earlier Guardian bit said 12% of UK GDP is the London financial sector and if they're really leaving the EU and getting kicked out of the common market then most of that will up and leave to Germany or Ireland. And that's before you get to any kind of trade in actual physical goods, tourism, etc.

Eh, tourism will probably almost possibly be sort of okay-ish. Britain isn't part of the Euro or Schengen so there was never a draw of not having to change money or show a passport. The weak pound will possibly make travel to the UK (or what remains of it) cheaper. Losing the seasonal workers will probably be the biggest issue I imagine. Manufacturing and Finance will be turbo-hosed, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

I find this very tough to argue with tbh

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Larch posted:

There is a meaningful difference between dying now and dying fifty-odd years in the future.

I was thinking more like three days in the future (because it is the middle of the desert), but fair enough I suppose.

The correct choice would be to kill the turtle and drink its blood by the way

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Isn't Article 50 something that has to specifically invoked by the country?

It is, but it looks pretty pathetic if a country votes to leave and then drags its heels to actually start the clock while the union is ready to roll.

Pretty happy that the reaction from the EU seems pretty solid instead of waffling around and trying to find a way out on a technicality. Britain voted leave, so let's loving have it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Turtles are aquatic. Maybe if it was a tortoise?

Theoretically, Leave benefits large corporations because Tory-controlled Britain (especially if Scotland secedes) would be more business-friendly than the EU. In practice, EU regulations tend to be more lax because nobody knows who their MEP is, and they can be easily swayed.

The benefit of doing business in a business-friendly but non-EU UK is more than made up by the added difficulty of getting that business into the biggest market in the hemisphere.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Blurred posted:

Because the EU will be pursuing its own self-interest, which (at least until 3 days ago) lay with the UK remaining a member of the EU. If the UK and the EU can negotiate terms that preserve basically all of the framework that was in place prior to the exit (meaning, like I said, that the UK would be part of the EU in all but name), I fail to see why the EU would object. What they absolutely will not allow is for the UK to pick and choose which provisions it will and will not follow, but if the UK were to come to the EU and say, "we apologise for our compatriots, but we (the people now charged with negotiating this thing) are interested in preserving the status quo as far as possible", then why would the EU turn them down? It seems the bigger political obstacle would be objections from the UK electorate, but that's precisely why the fight for pro-EU politicians has to begin now. Collapsing in despair and ceding power to the anti-EU circus is the surest way for all of the pessimistic scenarios envisaged in this thread to come to fruition.

Now it should of course be acknowledged that the EU will not cede anything that would lend succour to anti-EU movements on the continent, but I fail to see how a status quo arrangement would provide these forces with any degree of political impetus - in fact, as the cold political and economic realities settle in, it might even have a dampening effect. If anti-EU parties see that the UK left the EU only to be left with basically the same arrangement which obtained before (sans voting rights), how are they going to market it to their electorate as an example to be followed? If a state the size of the UK were to leave the union and then be seen to submit quiescently to its demands anyway, what hope does that give to independence movements in smaller nations like Holland, Denmark or the Czech Republic?

You dramatically underestimate the ability of populists to just straight up make poo poo up. The EU is an evil mega-state that won't even let you leave! That's basically super-slavery! What we need to do is leave totally, build a wall, and make the Eu pay for it! That'll show them, and then we can finally negotiate trade deals with China at eye-level.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Puistokemisti posted:

Stock markets around the world have lost about 2 trillion dollars following the Brexit results. There's probably going to be bunch of people who don't find UK suddenly going "jk everyone, we are staying ;)" all that funny. And EU probably doesn't like it UK keeps causing markets to poo poo themselves blind because they refuse to say if they are getting out or not.

The biggest fear in the EU right now is that the British are going to keep the referendum/ article 50 up their sleeves forever, pulling it out whenever they want a concession but never actually doing it. That means we go through this exact same sequence of events every loving time the British government doesn't like something the EU does. The EU was founded to provide a stable internal market, and having the British in charge of the big red button labeled "stock market crash" is not in any way, shape or form acceptable.

If the British government wants to ignore the referendum and stay, the EU (quite rightly, I might add) will demand they say so openly and unambiguously. And probably will demand a law that states exactly what needs to happen for the government to be forced to invoke article 50.

Sorry, but sitting this one out and hoping it goes away is not going to happen.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

A referendum is advisory, not binding. Elections are even under the silly system we use.

That's not how it was sold to the public, though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Uncertainty is the worst thing for an economy, even worse then bad news. Britains whole "will we, won't we, let's have another vote on it" is incredibly damaging. This divorce needs to proceed as quickly as possible.

It does not need to proceed as quickly as possible, but it certainly needs a timeframe agreed upon post-haste.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

bencreateddisco posted:

I keep hearing arguments that the EU needs British consumption.

This makes no sense to me.

It is still the third-biggest EU member. Hardly insignificant. "Need" is a strong word, but its not like the EU can just shrug it off.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Laradus posted:

It is all a right royal fuckup.

Actually I am fairly sure the Queen and all her family are super glad they have literally nothing to do with this.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Excellent read in that quote. It's fascinating to see someone from that era try to justify poo poo. He seems to be aware that an injustice is being done, but appealing to inevitably, via... the European tradition of conquering. "If only the native Americans had a comparable system of power and property, they would have been assimilated like everyone the Romans conquered were", basically. Anyway it wasn't even us who staked the claim on their land, we're just following through on Britain's claim which we won from them in the war. A+ mental gymnastics.

"And who can say if such a claim is valid? If only there were a court of some kind, which might arbitrate this issue...alas, it is not for this Supreme Court of the United States to decide. We must but permit the claim that is given to us."

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Wait, the UKIP has, like, literally promised violence if there is no Brexit within x years? Because the answer to that must always, always, ALWAYS be "Let's loving have it, then". Extremists thrive on the threat of escalation because they believe their opponents will fold. So you have to call them on it.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
"You openly gay ex-Olympic fencer judge" has to be the nicest insult ever made. I mean who reads that and goes "what a terrible person!" Even if you hate gays you have to acknowledge the fact that the guy isn't just a top level athlete but also a top level law expert.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Mainly because by that point the Daily Mail would have incited an insurrection and all judges will be dead.

I'm only partially joking. I genuinely believe if this goes anywhere near the European courts, people are going to die.

It is quite ironic that the guys who told the government that it couldn't just walk all over peoples' rights are considered enemies of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Strawman posted:

Yeah, I meant the queen's parents were sympathisers.

You may have them confused with her uncle.

• Locked thread