Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Independence Day: Resurgence

About the movie:
Independence Day: Resurgence is a 2016 American science fiction alternate history disaster film directed by Roland Emmerich and written by Emmerich, Dean Devlin, Nicholas Wright, James A. Woods and James Vanderbilt. It is the sequel to the 1996 film Independence Day and stars Liam Hemsworth, Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Jessie Usher, Maika Monroe, Sela Ward and William Fichtner

Releases: June 24

The movie was kinda meh and I saw no one made a post for it yet, lets talk about this new movie.

There was a part near the start of the movie and they kept just introducing characters non stop for 30 minutes, in the back of mind I could hear rifftrax going, " yea, lets see them try to keep up with all this". There was another time around the middle of the movie I was like this movie could work. By the end with some cool x com/warhammer 40k large armored enemy lord weapon the movie kinda just fell flat and rehashed and then they went and bumped in the "yea lets take the fight to them, but in a sequel ya!".

The movie poster and trailers try to really up the yea they are totally trained up for the aliens and they make all the worst choices ever.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What is the explanation for there being more aliens? Do they do anything interesting with the aliens (either the captured ones or whatever)?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

zVxTeflon posted:

What is the explanation for there being more aliens? Do they do anything interesting with the aliens (either the captured ones or whatever)?

Distress signal happened. They have the aliens on the ground with guns cleansing human scum.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zVxTeflon posted:

I imagine the entire race was not wiped out in one ship when it blew up in the first movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

I imagine the entire race was not wiped out in one ship when it blew up in the first movie.

are you calling President Whitmore a liar?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie was hilarious and stupid but fun. Like in a weird subversive way at times. It started making fun of dumb poo poo the original did which I loved.

This movie also hates most of its original main casts and kills off a few in the silliest most ineffective ways. No one cares!

I was pretty bored through most of it but the latter half was some fun silly poo poo. I liked it a lot but it was not a good movie.

I give it 5 My David's!!!!!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'll copy my review from the "Rate the Latest Movie You've Seen" thread:

I love the original, it's a campy classic, but this..... ugghhhh.

It's so loving bad. The third act in particular is shockingly awful, and the ending is one of the worst quick-tie-ups I've ever seen in a film.

The special effects are really inconsistent. There are some really cheap looking shots, especially right near the end. It's almost like they ran out of budget in chronological order of the film's scenes.

Interestingly, there's a gay subplot involving one of the secondary characters that would have been quite sweet if it was actually developed, but it's thrown at you out of nowhere for about 6 seconds in the final 15 minutes of the film. Spoiler for who it is, not that it matters, because it's such a throwaway plot: DataDr. Okun and his colleague are a couple!

Don't loving see this trash.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

zVxTeflon posted:

One of the few interesting parts is that in 1996 one of the ships actually landed, in like Uganda or something, and there has been a ground war going on with aliens from the ship for decades, but of course they don't show any of this, just some alien skulls on poles outside a warlord's camp.

Probably going to be a tie-in novel about that poo poo at some point.

Oh and there's a pretty good mystery in the first half about a bunch of characters having a vision of this circle with a line through it, but the answer to the mystery turns out to be dumb as a motherfuck

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for the review, looking forward to seeing it.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Interestingly, there's a gay subplot involving one of the secondary characters that would have been quite sweet if it was actually developed, but it's thrown at you out of nowhere for about 6 seconds in the final 15 minutes of the film. Spoiler for who it is, not that it matters, because it's such a throwaway plot: DataDr. Okun and his colleague are a couple!

That wasn't really out of nowhere, it was heavily implied the moment he woke from his coma on.

I feel like I'm imagining this, but was there a scene where Jeff Goldblum was on the spaceship when it went hyperdrive or whatever, and he let out this ridiculous scream? Like, Emmerich wanted a standard this-thing-is-going-too-fast-for-me scream or something and he just does that, then he and the guy next to him share an awkward look? I'm not sure if it was supposed to be an intentional joke or Goldblum phoning in a stupid moment.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In some of the promotional videos they mentioned they reverse engineered the city destroying weapons and made ion cannons Orbital defense satellites. But I can't help but assume they don't work for poo poo because otherwise how would the aliens be able to land a continent sized spaceship on earth?

The tie in novels for the original covered some little details; in a novel sequel they mention the ground war that happened after the city destroyers landed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Does Goldblum say "must go faster"?

I feel he needs to say it, its been many years since he said "must go faster" in a movie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Basebf555 posted:

Does Goldblum say "must go faster"?

I feel he needs to say it, its been many years since he said "must go faster" in a movie.

No he doesn't! :( There's a perfect opportunity involving a school bus and he just doesn't loving say it!!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

No he doesn't! :( There's a perfect opportunity involving a school bus and he just doesn't loving say it!!

In that case they will not be getting my money thank you very much.

CrimsonAuthor
Nov 14, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Heh, apparently he didn't even say it in Independence Day! They just copied the clip from Jurassic Park and Spielberg was "miffed". According to this article anyway.

https://professionalmoron.com/2015/06/27/jeff-goldblum-must-go-faster-jurassic-park/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CrimsonAuthor posted:

Heh, apparently he didn't even say it in Independence Day! They just copied the clip from Jurassic Park and Spielberg was "miffed". According to this article anyway.

https://professionalmoron.com/2015/06/27/jeff-goldblum-must-go-faster-jurassic-park/

That article is so idiotic, the whole point of it seems to be "Were you confused as to the canon explanation for why Goldbum says the same line in both movies? Well be confused no more, the makers of Independence Day just liked the line and wanted to include it in the movie!"

No poo poo.

Edit: Oh wait is that the whole point of this site? Articles written by a dumb guy? I don't understand the internet anymore.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 24, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm confused why the trailers gave away the Brent Spiner reveal so willingly since pretty much everybody thought he died? Oh well, this movie is probably even dumber than the original but I loved the 1993-1997 period in movies where "Jeff Goldblum, summer blockbuster action star" was a reality.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

exquisite tea posted:

I'm confused why the trailers gave away the Brent Spiner reveal so willingly since pretty much everybody thought he died? Oh well, this movie is probably even dumber than the original but I loved the 1993-1997 period in movies where "Jeff Goldblum, summer blockbuster action star" was a reality.

I was surprised too. Guess they needed him to explain to the audience why the aliens were :woop:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow, I'm embarrassed to admit that I never realized that was Spiner in Independence Day. I mean I was never a big Star Trek fan but I've seen Independence day about 15 times I'd think it would have occurred to me before now.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Whenever Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman or Brent Spiner was on-screen the movie was passable. Whenever those characters were not on screen I was asking "where are Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Brent Spiner?" Everything else was either wasted (a jungle war between guerillas and aliens in the aftermath of the invasion sounds cool why didn't they just film that?), bland (the young pilots, the spineless bureaucrat) or pointless (Judd Hirsh as much as I love you your plot was lame).

I can't really think of anything memorable besides a single shot near the beginning (the giant orb-ship on screen LOOMING over the tiny moonbase as space warps around it). I guess I can't really blame them for that so much since ID1 already used the best shots, and cities get destroyed every time the Avengers go out for coffee.

Also I don't like to use the word 'pandering' much because it is basically a meaningless concept but god drat at least pretend you give a poo poo. The Chinese pilot existed to be A Chinese Character, after the moonbase blows up I don't think she had more than ten lines, or do anything besides whatever the hotshot protagonist-pilot told her to do.

The old cast keep the movie from being extremely bad, instead it is only deeply average.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Panfilo posted:

In some of the promotional videos they mentioned they reverse engineered the city destroying weapons and made ion cannons Orbital defense satellites. But I can't help but assume they don't work for poo poo because otherwise how would the aliens be able to land a continent sized spaceship on earth?

The tie in novels for the original covered some little details; in a novel sequel they mention the ground war that happened after the city destroyers landed.

Way to spoil the first 3rd of the movie! .... promotional videos... I hate trailers they make now haha.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie was a straight up comedy. My favorite scene is when the Earth Defense System went up, and they aimed their cannons, all of them at the ship and the ship just single handedly blows them all up like Iron Man. That killed me.

Oh and anything Judd Hirsch said. But that was mostly due to listening to the Patrice O'Neal bit on Opie and Anthony.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I hated the first one, but I am mesmerized whenever Jeff Goldblum starts talking. Decisions, decisions.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
just bought tickets to see at 6pm today. im loving STOKED i even watched the first one last night!

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

This movie also hates most of its original main casts and kills off a few in the silliest most ineffective ways. No one cares!

I like a lot of what I'm hearing about this movie, but what the hell is this about? Who the gently caress thought that would be a good idea? I'm starting to appreciate Scream 4 more and more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

That article is so idiotic, the whole point of it seems to be "Were you confused as to the canon explanation for why Goldbum says the same line in both movies? Well be confused no more, the makers of Independence Day just liked the line and wanted to include it in the movie!"

No poo poo.

Edit: Oh wait is that the whole point of this site? Articles written by a dumb guy? I don't understand the internet anymore.

I dunno, I feel like the fact that they just straight up lifted the audio clip from JP (instead of actually having him say it again) is kinda interesting?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lizardman posted:

I like a lot of what I'm hearing about this movie, but what the hell is this about? Who the gently caress thought that would be a good idea? I'm starting to appreciate Scream 4 more and more.

Vivca A Fox is now a doctor and she works at a hospital. poo poo starts to go down and her and a pregnant woman wait on the building for a helicopter. The pregnant woman gets on, but the building collapses as Fox plummets to her death. Her kid watches in his plane. It wasn't really brought up again. And then Bill Pullman wants to sacrifice himself and blow up the ship and everything, which he does...but the Alien Queen is still alive rendering his act completely and utterly pointless. Which made me laugh.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Do the aliens blow up traffic jams again?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I guess it wouldn't be independance day if that didn't happen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Does Old Jewish Man die?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

They sure do! And they don't even do it intentionally - the giant ship has it's own gravitational pull which drags the traffic jam up and away as it passes overhead

I thought the movie was dumb fun, but it was both too long and not long enough if that makes sense. A lot of plotlines that don't go anywhere, they should have kept it simple.

Also, IMPLICITLY TRUST THE ORB. THE ORB IS YOUR FRIEND

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 24, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

Does Old Jewish Man die?

Nope! He lives to see HIS DAVID!!!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

but the Alien Queen is still alive rendering his act completely and utterly pointless. Which made me laugh.

It's not entirely pointless. Taking out her ship with its weaponry and shielding was better than, ya know, not.

I wish we saw a glimpse of the side of the moon just cut away from the ship.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Nope! He lives to see HIS DAVID!!!

Well im sold

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

It's not entirely pointless. Taking out her ship with its weaponry and shielding was better than, ya know, not.

I wish we saw a glimpse of the side of the moon just cut away from the ship.

Yeah but the Aliens were still alive.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

This movie was camping as hell and I loved it. I don't know if it was ID4 quality but it was a something else entirely. The most Emmerich scene was a bus full of school children getting chased by the giant Queen plus they have to save the dog why not?!

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Saw it last night, movie was fun and dumb in the best way possible, gently caress the haters

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The friendly alien sphere had some weird voicing. It felt stilted and rushed, and for some reason whoever put the voice filter in didn't remove the little noises of the voice actor drawing breath between lines, so it just sounds like an random person on a tinny radio reading off bad cue cards.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This movie was camping as hell and I loved it. I don't know if it was ID4 quality but it was a something else entirely. The most Emmerich scene was a bus full of school children getting chased by the giant Queen plus they have to save the dog why not?!

The dog in the last movie was much better. Had his own badass explosion jump and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

The whole civilization moves from planet to planet. That doesn't necessarily they're all at the same planet at the same time.

• Locked thread