Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Yarbald posted:

Not going into a Roland Emmerich movie expecting amazing writing and character development helped a ton.

I went to see aliens blow poo poo up and get blown up. Mission accomplished.

yea I guess being really high on paint chips would give that kind of an experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I fully expected this movie to be a turd. I was counting on it, in fact. I was not expecting it to be so. loving. Boring.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The queen thing makes even less sense considering this is supposed to be the 2nd stargate sequel

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

"DETONATE THE BOMBS! WE DONT WANT TO DIE IN VAIN"

*Proceeds to die in the vainest possible way of any movie*

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

zVxTeflon posted:

The queen thing makes even less sense considering this is supposed to be the 2nd stargate sequel

I was hoping there would be a stargate hiding in the background when they went to Cheyanne Mountain.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
This was pretty bad, much worse then the first one. I didn't get enough monument destroying, it was like 1 scene, boo.

The young peoples drama sucked too.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mae posted:

Every time the aliens basically went "haha no, gently caress you" it was great and I bet the aliens on the mothership did high-fives.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mae posted:

The orbital defense lasers were destroyed without winning because they waited for an arbitrary countdown instead of firing at will.

The cold fusion bombers were destroyed without winning because they waited for approval from central command instead of acting on their own.

Remind you of anything in the first movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mae posted:

Honestly, I loved the movie because of this. The whole thing felt like a fun ribbing on the first one and yet it still had a different feel.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

THORIUM posted:

Nope. Plenty of planets don't have a core. Next!

What kind of crazy universe do you live in where there are hollow planets?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Did the lady at the beginning say the Africans fought a ground war for ten years?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Even if there are planets that technically don't have cores, I have a feeling they weren't forcibly removed via spaceship laser. Instantly hollowing out the Earth and removing all that mass would cause some problems right?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

fadam posted:

Did the lady at the beginning say the Africans fought a ground war for ten years?

Yep.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Saw it, enjoyed it. It's not every movie where we have the hunky action lead admit to pissing his pants.

Now I'm imagining them using space dirt to fill in the big rear end deep hole in the ocean that leads straight to the core. Akin to the largest scale fecal transplant.

Edit: Oh, and at the end, it turned into a stealth kaiju movie. I appreciated that.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Weird, I heard years but I thought for sure she meant hours. I know it's dumb to nitpick movies like this and there probably isn't a good answer, but why didn't they get shut down when the big ship blew up at the end of the first movie?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Why are the exosuits the only thing we haven't reverse engineered from the aliens? Movie should have ended with Bill Pullman fighting the queen in his own giant suit thing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So how XCOM is this movie? Because I got that feeling from the commercials. The aesthetic just feels really Enemy Unknown, even though Earth should theoretically know everything about these aliens after 20 years

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This movie was so far detached to what made the first one good, I had the same sort of reaction as I did after Jurassic World compared to JP1.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pops Mgee posted:

Why are the exosuits the only thing we haven't reverse engineered from the aliens? Movie should have ended with Bill Pullman fighting the queen in his own giant suit thing.

That would've been a great way to parallel the Area 51 reveal from the first movie. "Actually mr. President, we've been illegally conducting human bio engineering experiments to pilot those exo suits..."

Also, I can't wait for the sequel.

"Welcome to the coalition of alien planets, please share with us your secret to victory against the alien aggressors."

"We suicide bomb them lol."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Aces High posted:

So how XCOM is this movie? Because I got that feeling from the commercials. The aesthetic just feels really Enemy Unknown, even though Earth should theoretically know everything about these aliens after 20 years

It's X-Com with cheat codes for unlimited funding and the whole world loves you.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

ruddiger posted:

That would've been a great way to parallel the Area 51 reveal from the first movie. "Actually mr. President, we've been illegally conducting human bio engineering experiments to pilot those exo suits..."

Also, I can't wait for the sequel.

"Welcome to the coalition of alien planets, please share with us your secret to victory against the alien aggressors."

"We suicide bomb them lol."

the whole sphere McMuffin never made much sense to me.. I understand the queen's obsession with it, fighting for 1000 years and all, but why did the sphere act like it it was the race that was enlightened and had superior tech. It admitted its race got wipe wiped out basically, and never manage to take even one harvester queen down. They sound like the inferior technological race to me, and probably ran and hid for a 100 years, space is pretty big.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So from 1950-1996 they learn basically nothing from the alien fighter but from 96-2016 they get super lasers and spaceships?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

zVxTeflon posted:

So from 1950-1996 they learn basically nothing from the alien fighter but from 96-2016 they get super lasers and spaceships?

You see, aliens have to go planets to planets to get resources to maintain their tech, god blessed earth, and we had everything around all the time!

Thank god Africa or whatever is still a shithole, too stubborn.

Man i didn't mind the warlord dude, but that whole thing made me uncomfortable..

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013
I really don't think there's anything redeemable about this movie. Even the CGI was bleh looking. Hilarious way to follow up the absurd trash that was Stonewall

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

One tiny ship vs 100 giant ships and a poo poo ton of aliens probably make a difference.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Plus prior to 96 they couldn't activate the ship, so it was only after that that they could observe the tech in operation.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

It was explained in the first movie that microprocessors and transistors and stuff were all reverse engineered from the alien fighter, and on that note it's probably just me rationalizing that part of the movie but it also explains how an Apple laptop is able to interface with the alien mothership (I guess USB really is UNIVERSAL serial bus).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Plus, I don't think the alien tech at Roswell was active until the aliens arrived.

Aces High posted:

So how XCOM is this movie?

Both ID4 movies are XCOM movies. Aliens arrive, bloody our nose, and we fight back and take them down with nary a scratch.

ID42 is not a movie based on XCOM2's nonsense that humanity lost the first invasion, though, thank God.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 26, 2016

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
How exactly did they write out Will Smith's character?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They never said in the film, but in the promo stuff they said he crashed while testing out one of the new Alien/Human crafts.

They show a comically large picture of him at the beginning of the film.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

They never said in the film, but in the promo stuff they said he crashed while testing out one of the new Alien/Human crafts.

They show a comically large picture of him at the beginning of the film.

It's in the film in a really awkward lampshade hang.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Senor Tron posted:

What kind of crazy universe do you live in where there are hollow planets?

The same one as you. Your statement is actually spot-on. The universe is pretty crazy.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14571-planets-without-metal-cores-may-be-bad-for-life/

quote:

Such planets might differentiate into layers of different density but not form a core – essentially making them giant silicate mantles.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

I know it's dumb to nitpick movies like this and there probably isn't a good answer, but why didn't they get shut down when the big ship blew up at the end of the first movie?

Because plot hole.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neill Blomkamp direct the prequel to ID42 instead of the Alien Reboot.

I want to see that Warlord guy kill a bunch of aliens.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Aces High posted:

It's not as XCOM as the first one, although the white sphere that shows up half way through the movie looks so much like the Gatekeepers in XCOM 2 that I started to wonder if it was an official tie-in game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I know from checking out the ID4 wiki (yes, one exists) that it was revealed in a tie-in novel (yes, those exist) that Constance died in a car crash a couple years after the first movie...did that get dropped at all in-film in Resurgence that I just missed? I kept getting weirded out by David having a brand new love interest when he got back with his ex-wife at the end of the original.

I'm also unnecessarily annoyed that we went from "David, you come play chess with me in the park 5 days a week, you need to get out more" all the way to "David and I only see each other for thanksgiving and we cancelled last year" between movies.

Where were Russell's kids in all of this? Almost everyone else gets a mention or a cameo, but there's nothing about Russell other than his name being on the monument at the beginning.

Basically, going to the Alamo's double feature was the worst way to watch the sequel, as it just makes it glaringly apparently where all the incongruities are. I think the writers for Resurgence were hoping that people only had vague, two decade old, memories of the original.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pierson posted:

(a jungle war between guerillas and aliens in the aftermath of the invasion sounds cool why didn't they just film that?),

Have you seen the tv show falling skies

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

max4me posted:

Have you seen the tv show falling skies
No, I take it this isn't a ringing endorsement?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was disappointed. It was pretty much the theme from the first movie, with not as good atmosphere from the character pairs. I'd give 3.5/5 planet destroying ships. David's new girlfriend shouldn't have been in the movie, and more time on Warlord guy and some time to say "hey we just lost 1/3 of the Planet, not to mention that dog's parents".

It's all written up at the end as franchise of course. I could see both giant mech robots punching out Alien Queens and a Independence Day: The TV Series: The Next Generation thing working. And they could make it tie in with the new StarGate movie!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What I don't understand is how the aliens had footage of Bill Pullman giving his speech from the first movie. It wasn't being filmed/televised.

I also thought it was super awkward how they changed some stuff between movies but tried to claim it was exactly the same, like the alien spaceships.

• Locked thread