Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If you sucked out the Earths core I think the planet collapsing on itself would be more of a worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

After a few hours to digest the movie, I keep coming back to having enjoyed it, but it being entirely disposable and having no desire to go back and rewatch it.

The first ID4 is a fun rewatch every year or so because it captures the feeling of "what if this actually happened..." and does it in a fun cheesy way. There are a few big coincidences, but the characters introduced are largely thrust into greatness through being right place/right time. Here however the characters introduced at the start are all connected and seem to survive because of who they are.

Not investigating the orb ship is bafflingly stupid. It's the first alien contact since the war of 1996, and is either the arrival of a new attack ship, or first contact with a third party alien race. Either way monumentally important and worth investigating.

I did laugh when they went straight from the US president talking about how there have been no global conflicts since the war, to showing an area run by a warlord so completely that Earth defense forces haven't been able to access the lone intact alien ship.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

THORIUM posted:

Nope. Plenty of planets don't have a core. Next!

What kind of crazy universe do you live in where there are hollow planets?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

paperwind posted:

Why can't the alien harvester ship just scrape the entire surface of the Earth clean of all life (seriously, just drag that poo poo around the planet a few times), then drill to the core, and then up and be done with it?

Oh wait, I'm using my brain to pick apart this movie, aren't I? Go away brain, me no like you ohhhh pretty explosion go BOOM!

I think they were just intended to be arrogant. Based on the scale of their civilisation the force from the first movie was their equivalent of a small logging crew. They were taken out so their Queen said gently caress it I'll do it myself assuming that humans couldn't do anything to stop them.

Really, the one thing from the movie I still can't get past is the fact that a small time warlord was apparently able to stop an international force with all their advanced tech from coming to look at the single intact city destroyer ship on Earth for 20 years.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

504 posted:

Yeah, but he exposed the alien weakspot and sacrificed his life to save a whole bunch of people. His actions directly led to the destruction of the alien fleet very very rapidly.

I can't be the only one who always wondered how they took down the city destroyers that weren't in the process of firing their primary weapons.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

once their shields were down they could just drop nukes on em

or hell maybe just throw rocks at important-looking bits until you break whatever part keeps the hojillion-ton manhole cover from following gravity. probably send someone else to do the rock throwing.

The scene immediately after where they make a point of showing them transmitting to the world how to take them down makes me imagine the combined military might of the world rolling their eyes..."Oh, shoot missiles at them. Why didn't we think of that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

P Grey posted:

yeah that... and David's father driving a bus full of kids right into the middle of alien attack lol...

Ie driving from the east coast of the US to Nevada right? According to Google Maps that's about a 40 hour drive.

• Locked thread