Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

OldMemes posted:

The loop is only a limited one that affects Hisako and the alien, everyone else can move forward, right? So far as I follow it: Hisako gets the head for the ceremony on day 2 from the river, then gives up her life energy to give the alien a new body, then uses up the last of her energy to pop back to day 2 to float the head back to her younger self. The events only happen once for everyone else, but day 2 and 3 loop for Hisako and the alien's head.

Not sure why this is in spoilers for an LP that is over, but I should point out that Hisako isn't stuck in a loop, as far as we know. White-haired Hisako from the Inferno hands the head to Dark-Haired Hisako on the shores of the red water ocean, but it's not as though White-haired Hisako goes back through the loop in any fashion. Of course, we don't know what happens to her at that point - dies/drowns/lives forever somewhere out there in that dimension? My guess is that whatever immortality curse is broken, and she is rapidly aging to her real age, and therefore dies shortly after handing the head off. Still, she only goes through the loop once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gully Foyle posted:

Not sure why this is in spoilers for an LP that is over, but I should point out that Hisako isn't stuck in a loop, as far as we know. White-haired Hisako from the Inferno hands the head to Dark-Haired Hisako on the shores of the red water ocean, but it's not as though White-haired Hisako goes back through the loop in any fashion. Of course, we don't know what happens to her at that point - dies/drowns/lives forever somewhere out there in that dimension? My guess is that whatever immortality curse is broken, and she is rapidly aging to her real age, and therefore dies shortly after handing the head off. Still, she only goes through the loop once.

And thus we learned once again the timeless lesson: time travel is always stupid.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

One of the failings with Siren I think is they show you different ways things play out, but all the resolutions are seemingly canonical. We never are shown what would happen to Shiro if Kei didn't wet the towel. We just have to do it because if he didn't he couldn't get an ID that he apparently needed for time to flow correctly. Blood Curse shows the outcome of a failed timeline, which is good in my opinion of you're going to base your gameplay around repeating stages and doing them differently Groundhog Day style. I can't remember if Siren 2 does that or not.

Siren 2 for the most part gives you entirely different and mutually exclusive objectives and if you're going for mission 2, you can't complete mission 1 by mistake like you could in Siren 1. I think mission 2 is considered canonical for everyone in Siren 2.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This has been a great LP SuperGreatFriend. An odd game, and One I would try and play myself going into the future when I have the time. This game definitely did some odd things both mechanically and story wise, but one thing I found really amusing was the shift from Japanese ghouls and ghosts, to science fiction. It still feels weird that it went that direction but it made for a fun ride. The last video also made the thread title much clearer and I thought I had missed some joke in the months this has been going on.

Having watched this I'd be interested in going into Siren 2 blind to see how it plays out. This series looks really interesting if a bit frustrating because it is steeped in adventure game puzzle logic.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

This has been a great LP SuperGreatFriend. An odd game, and One I would try and play myself going into the future when I have the time. This game definitely did some odd things both mechanically and story wise, but one thing I found really amusing was the shift from Japanese ghouls and ghosts, to science fiction. It still feels weird that it went that direction but it made for a fun ride. The last video also made the thread title much clearer and I thought I had missed some joke in the months this has been going on.

Having watched this I'd be interested in going into Siren 2 blind to see how it plays out. This series looks really interesting if a bit frustrating because it is steeped in adventure game puzzle logic.

For what it's worth, Siren 2 is a lot easier. Mostly because the conditions to unlock the secondary objectives are, while still a bit obtuse, nowhere near as weird as freezing the towel as Kei and there's some quality of life features like being able to pick up any weapon from a Shibito if you've knocked it down. There's a few levels which are all out action too and the mechanics and controls are a bit better for these situations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Was the lantern lighting accomplished by depressing those random nodes into the ground? I can't remember

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Mrs. Takato lit the lamps for one of her second objectives. I can't even remember what those random buttons did at this point.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The nodes were required to be pressed for the lamp lighting secondary objective to happen.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

I believe the switches made the lamps lightable. So you had to hit all four switches, and then light the lamps as Takato in order to trigger the secondary objective for Kyouya's final mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, the switches are the primer buttons, the lamps the ignition to the engine of spirit power she ended up starting.

• Locked thread