Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

REDHEADS WILL BE MY DOWNFALL!
From michiganradio.org:

quote:

Michigan Supreme Court: Cops can't be prosecuted for false statements

Michigan police officers can never be criminally prosecuted for statements they are compelled to make during internal investigations — even if those statements turn out to be lies that amount to perjury or another crime.

That’s what the Michigan Supreme Court decided this week, in the case of three Detroit officers charged with obstructing justice. Officer Nevin Hughes was accused of assaulting a Detroit motorist in the presence of two other officers, Sean Harris and William Little.

When the motorist filed a complaint, the officers had to testify for an internal investigation. All three denied the assault allegations. After a video recording surfaced to prove they had lied, they were charged with obstruction of justice. But the officers fought those charges, contending that a Michigan law — the Disclosures by Law Enforcement Officers Act — shields them from prosecution based solely on those statements, even if the statements were false. And this week, after a series of appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court agreed. The court ruled that any time an officer is compelled to speak and their job is at stake, those statements can’t be used against them in any criminal proceeding.

“Simply stated, the DLEOA bars the use in a subsequent criminal proceeding of all information provided by a law enforcement officer under threat of any employment sanction,” the court majority wrote. “The plain language of the DLEOA protects all statements given by officers under compulsion.”

The court noted that the law probably wasn’t meant to protect officers who commit perjury or obstruct justice — but in effect, that’s what it does.

“While we may question the Legislature’s decision to offer such unqualified protections, we are obligated to respect that decision and interpret the statute in accordance with its plain language,” the court majority wrote.

The court ordered the obstruction charges against Hughes, Harris, and Little be dropped.

“We are disappointed in the decision and urge the Legislature to permit a police officer’s lies to be used against him in a criminal prosecution,” Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for Wayne County prosecutor Kym Worthy, said via e-mail.

The full court opinion can be found here, and the text of the DLEOA can be found here.

Act 563 of 2006 posted:

Sec. 1.

As used in this act:

(a) "Involuntary statement" means information provided by a law enforcement officer, if compelled under threat of dismissal from employment or any other employment sanction, by the law enforcement agency that employs the law enforcement officer.

Sec. 3.

An involuntary statement made by a law enforcement officer, and any information derived from that involuntary statement, shall not be used against the law enforcement officer in a criminal proceeding.

Holy poo poo. I'm not sure what the intent was here (given that we already have a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that covers coerced statements, Garrity v. New Jersey, and the Garrity warning which is analogous to the Miranda warning), but this was written so broadly that it not only protects law enforcement who wish to remain silent during an internal affairs investigation but protects them if they lie under questioning. The court opinion indicates it would even protect them against outright perjury when making a sworn statement in a court of law.

It's a good day to be a bad cop in Michigan. Do something wrong? Lie about it to avoid the consequences. Get caught? No problem, you're immune because you would have lost your job if you hadn't lied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

How is this not already the case that they are constitutionally protected from having to testify against themselves? Given that there is an incriminating video aren't they now subject to an ordinary set of charges for that crime (not perjury)?

After Garrity v. New Jersey in 1967 most internal investigations advise their officers of their right to silence, but are still allowed to take said silence into consideration.

"You are being asked to provide information as part of an internal and/or administrative investigation. This is a voluntary interview and you do not have to answer questions if your answers would tend to implicate you in a crime. No disciplinary action will be taken against you solely for refusing to answer questions. However, the evidentiary value of your silence may be considered in administrative proceedings as part of the facts surrounding your case. Any statement you do choose to provide may be used as evidence in criminal and/or administrative proceedings."

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Mercrom posted:

Does this mean anything except they don't have to forget about it?

Is the fifth amendment supposed to protect worker rights anyway?

I'm far from a legal scholar (and if there's anybody who has studied the Fifth Amendment in earnest I'd be happy to hear an informed opinion) but the most applicable ruling I can find would be Griffin v. California, though that ruling was specifically regarding prohibiting prosecutors commenting on a defendant's silence and instructing jurors to consider that silence as evidence of guilt. I think Garrity specifically protects law enforcement officers from losing their jobs solely due to choosing to remain silent in an investigation, and the line "as part of the facts surrounding your case" implies to me that one would need a larger body of evidence (like, say, video evidence directly linking the officer to a crime :rolleyes:) to charge them of any crime. One of the main complaints of Griffin is that it does nothing in cases where the judge and prosecutor say nothing about the defendant not testifying in his or her own defense but the jury makes a judgement call on their own.

The "Statements made to non-governmental entities" section of the Fifth Amendment page on Wikipedia states "The privilege against self-incrimination does not protect an individual from being suspended from membership in a non-governmental, self-regulatory organization (SRO), such as the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), where the individual refuses to answer questions posed by the SRO. An SRO itself is not a court of law, and cannot send a person to jail. SROs[...] are generally not considered to be state actors[...] SROs also lack subpoena powers. They rely heavily on requiring testimony from individuals by wielding the threat of loss of membership[...] when the individual asserts his Fifth Amendment privilege against compelled self-incrimination."

Again, not a legal scholar, but I see this as a dividing line where your refusal to answer question from a non-government entity (such as a private employer) does not protect your job. By definition, law enforcement officers are working for a government entity with subpoena powers, and cannot be questioned by their boss without it automatically being under the umbrella of Fifth Amendment.

Mr. Horyd
Jul 17, 2001

Found a better article with more details. I think I remember hearing about this piece of work before.

The Detroit News posted:

Hughes, meanwhile, has been sued eight times and has cost taxpayers more than $677,000, according to court records. Hughes had been sued over a beating during the Downtown Hoedown and accused of illegal searches and seizures, falsifying search warrants and assaulting men at gas stations.

Hughes’ attorney, John Goldpaugh, said the ruling was wonderful news and the right decision. Hughes still faces trial on the misdemeanor charge of assault and battery charges and the felony charge of misconduct in office, Goldpaugh said. Goldpaugh said he could not discuss why Hughes made false statements during the internal investigation, but said none of those statements were made for a criminal investigation.

“Their statements were made for internal affairs only,” Goldpaugh said.

• Locked thread