Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
There would seem to be a pretty big difference between refusing to incriminate yourself and actively lying about your colleague assaulting someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

There is for most people but a cop is "on the clock" while at court testifying. I think it's a poo poo law and if my employee lied I would want to fire them, but these are some interesting details.

I would understand this logic of the police in question had refused to testify and invoked the fifth. It's bizarre that this would excuse them from committing an active deception in which they are deliberately misreporting what happened rather than just refusing to say anything.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Well I'm doing that thing where you critique a system by comparing it to it's own stated ideals but sure, it's not actually surprising to learn that the government tries to discourage whistle blowers.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Consider this: I'm on the clock and my boss is watching me. I'm in court before a judge giving testimony. There are 3 choices, lie, truth, 5th.

Truth: I lose my job and am possibly jailed for gross dereliction of duty/being an accessory to an assault.
Lie: I am committing perjury and if caught go to jail
5th: I am constitutionally safe from the court but lose my job because I'm obviously guilty as hell.

Granted, gently caress these guys, but I'm just making the point that the situation is a little different than if the same law covered non-police. Not that it should exist, it's bad, but it's a little interesting.

The relevant "constitutional protection" you were alluding to before says that no one can be: "compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself". I fail to see how actively lying is constitutionally protected. Apparently in Michigan it is statutorily protected for police officers but (and if an actual American lawyer wants to correct me here then please do) that's different than saying they have a constitutional right to lie. Nothing in the 5th amendment would seem to sanction this behavior.

• Locked thread