Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

i think you'll find that by getting here, they're both winners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
go MILOS

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

that scottish lad is loving fired up

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Raffles posted:

that scottish lad is loving fired up

surrounded by posh englanders and with the sun out, he is as far from his natural habitat as can be. truly overcoming adversity

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Looks like straight sets right now

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Don't count out Milos yet, he likes a comeback!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol that the ESPN app spoilered the result of the 1st set while I was watching the WatchESPN stream.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Good start. Milos looks like he's trying to force the issue a bit too much. I know he needs to keep the points short but it's looking a bit uncontrolled and wild since he got broken, as if he got rattled.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Raonic meltdown.

Or not!

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 10, 2016

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It's a bad day for sports IMO. First Contador abandons, Murray is winning and we've got a miserable Euro final coming up.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Milos not comfortable. Need to get more 1st serves in big boy!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

fancyclown posted:

Murray is returning very well, so I think he's trying to compensate by going for it too much too often. Needs to settle down into a rhythm.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Always found Federer irritatingly smug and smooth, so I'm glad big Milos "Robot" Raonic beat his rear end.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chas McGill posted:

Always found Federer irritatingly smug and smooth, so I'm glad big Milos "Robot" Raonic beat his rear end.
Federer? Smug? What would ever give you that idea???

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
He's a right prick. Rather have Andy's leisure centre chic.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
None of the big 4 are remotely likable.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
That's a fine game young man :chord:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Alain Post posted:

None of the big 4 are remotely likable.

i like nadal's tan and his muscle shirts

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The court is so hosed along the baseline. They need to change up the grass.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Murray really is returning phenomenally well.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
I wonder what % Raonic wins when going to net. Murray has passed him so easy so many times

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
That drop volley was rather tasty in this poster's opinion.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

180 no scope backhand winner there

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

If Raonic wins the tiebreaker and takes the set he'll be a lucky boy. He's been thoroughly outplayed in it so far.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Murray is really playing a fantastic match so far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
that was really nice

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Andy makes me randy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I really need to see pro tennis live. When something looks fast on tv, I'm sure it looks loving insane in real life.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

this tiebreak is just murray going at it like a rabid pitbull

Puckish Rogue fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 10, 2016

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

I really need to see pro tennis live. When something looks fast on tv, I'm sure it looks loving insane in real life.

The foreshortening effect of the standard camera angle makes it look like the players are standing much closer to each other than they actually are. Baseline to baseline is 78 feet, but on TV it looks much shorter. So yeah in person it is even more impressive to watch, the athleticism of Murray and Djokovic covering the court and changing direction is incredible at times.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Raonic only won 64% of points on his first serve in that set, that's ludicrous.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

There is a definite lack of it in my neck of the woods. But I started playing it for fun, and went to some games at the nearby college. Even at that level it's pretty hair-raising. Lots of six-foot-tall Slavic women on exchange programs just pummeling each other.

Also one of my tennis buddies is twice my age, as in he could be my father, and he just destroys me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Raonic only won 64% of points on his first serve in that set, that's ludicrous.

Murray is returning everything.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

To add to the above, the first time I saw a pro tennis match (it was actually Murray vs Raonic at the tour finals a few years ago), what struck me is that I didn't realise how close to the net they're really hitting the ball. Unforced errors into the net look dumb on TV, like they've clunked the ball horribly towards the ground. But it's because they were aiming to hit it 1-2 inches over the net and made a slight error. On TV it looks like they're lofting it up and over the net when they're really hitting basically in a horizontal line back at the opponent.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

fancyclown posted:

he just had to drop a deuce

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

also it's funny mcenroe would argue for a rule about to the bathroom, he's trying t show he isn't biased lol

e: no wait that was patrick

ArmedZombie fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 10, 2016

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

tanglewood1420 posted:

The foreshortening effect of the standard camera angle makes it look like the players are standing much closer to each other than they actually are. Baseline to baseline is 78 feet, but on TV it looks much shorter. So yeah in person it is even more impressive to watch, the athleticism of Murray and Djokovic covering the court and changing direction is incredible at times.

I bet. Since so many serves are returned, people who have never played tennis don't realize how ridiculous trying to return a 120+ mph serve, with spin, can be. I always hated that first moment when a big serving opponent would uncork one in warm ups and I'd realize how hosed I would be on their serving games.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
I'm not sure anyone would've beaten Murray today.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

god drat that was pivotal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
:rip: Milos

• Locked thread