Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's happening, guys!! IIIIIIIIIIIT'S HAPPENNNIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGG

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-06-24/trigger-little-witch-academia-gets-tv-anime-series/.103587

quote:

The official website for Studio Trigger's Little Witch Academia anime project announced on Friday that a television anime series has been green-lit. The anime's Twitter acount asked fans to look forward to a "new Little Witch Academia world!!" Studio Trigger President Masahiko Otsuka said that it will be a 30-minute television series with director Yoh Yoshinari returning. He added that the staff is diving headlong into production at the studio, after passing the baton from the recently concluded Space Patrol Luluco anime.

Yay! :woop:

My expression after seeing this announcement

Use this thread to talk about LWA, the OVAs, get hype for the show which is coming ... sometime... and generally gush about how Trigger is saving anime or somesuch.

Also Sucy is the best girl.

http://i.imgur.com/uolwCTV.mp4

-----------------
Official site: http://littlewitchacademia.jp/

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If they maintain the quality of the first short for an entire season, I will be thrilled (but also a bit surprised.)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
But when, is it coming

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
They'll have a fluid, breathtakingly well-animated OP and ED with everything in between done in the style of Inferno Cop.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

They'll have a fluid, breathtakingly well-animated OP and ED with everything in between done in the style of Inferno Cop.

I'm okay with that. Any more LWA is good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

If they maintain the quality of the first short for an entire season, I will be thrilled (but also a bit surprised.)

I'm expecting the typical Trigger thing, which means rather cheap animation for a large majority of it, with occasional :vince: moments. The second OVA didn't look as beautiful and fantastically fluid as the original short, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Perhaps KLK-quality is a decent thing to hope for.

Still, it's more the fact of having an actual 24 episode LWA anime that gives me great cheer, than anything else.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Bad Seafood posted:

S O L D
O
L
D

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
posting in a dr sunshine thread

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I've been holding onto the 2nd short on blu-ray but I haven't watched it yet :(

I really hope the new series has every episode like the first short - like the complete opposite of flying witch, with action and explosions and fireworks and eldrich monsters and friendly rivalries and dungeons and treasure and...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

celeron 300a posted:

posting in a dr sunshine thread

Wow!!! How does it feel?

celeron 300a posted:

I've been holding onto the 2nd short on blu-ray but I haven't watched it yet :(

I really hope the new series has every episode like the first short - like the complete opposite of flying witch, with action and explosions and fireworks and eldrich monsters and friendly rivalries and dungeons and treasure and...

I hope it's like, literally Harry Potter. The second episode was okay, but not as good as the first I feel. The animation looks like it's the same budget as the first but stretched out to be twice as long, and Akko just spends the whole episode being really dumb, which is a tad frustrating because it makes the conflict in it seem really contrived.

I'm curious to see what they do with a whole show! Here's hoping they don't make it a whole plot-heavy thing and it's just cute witches doing magic in an episodic way!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Space Dandy but with witches

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Space Dandy but with witches

I never knew how much I wanted this until now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

A bunch of Trigger animators have indicated they're working on it already (on twitter) and its not coming out til 2017, so the scheduling is really good. That bodes well. Yoh Yoshinari's also an insane perfectionist and he's never had to deal with full oversight of a TV show before so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Other positives: based on the sample background art they showed at AX Studio Pablo's on board as the BG studio again, and they definitely have a ton of character design concepts to work with.

And here's a doodle one of the main animators on LWA did to celebrate the TV show

http://porigoshi.tumblr.com/post/146431341534/some-doodle-and-doodle-animation-of-little-witch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7zg6MO7Dbs

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

if that poo poo's a "doodle" i want to see them work their hardest because drat.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

if that poo poo's a "doodle" i want to see them work their hardest because drat.

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=little_witch_academia+takafumi_hori

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

DrSunshine posted:

Wow!!! How does it feel?

:feelsgood:

quote:

I hope it's like, literally Harry Potter. The second episode was okay, but not as good as the first I feel. The animation looks like it's the same budget as the first but stretched out to be twice as long, and Akko just spends the whole episode being really dumb, which is a tad frustrating because it makes the conflict in it seem really contrived.

Just watched it. Your opinion was spot on, I think, but I think Akko's pushiness and tremendous focus is still kinda endearing.

quote:

I'm curious to see what they do with a whole show! Here's hoping they don't make it a whole plot-heavy thing and it's just cute witches doing magic in an episodic way!

:same:

There will be an overarching plot to loosely tie it into a singular story, I bet. Unlike other magic school settings, this one feels like it would do its world building via Akko and co causing and fixing mishaps instead of long montages of academic minutae.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
LWA is obscenely good and I hope the series will own.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dudes, can you imagine what a witchly Sports Festival and Culture Festival would be like?? I bet it'd be awesome!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Witchly beach episode

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Witchly beach episode

Witchly field trip to Kyoto.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

DrSunshine posted:

Dudes, can you imagine what a witchly Sports Festival and Culture Festival would be like?? I bet it'd be awesome!

cafe

haunted house

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The best part of LWA was the sheer quality and artistry of the animation, I hope that doesn't take too much of a hit from the new format.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i basically like everything about lwa except akko. she is awful.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm sure we can all agree that Sucy is best girl.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not fair to the other girls how best she is.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Serious Frolicking posted:

i basically like everything about lwa except akko. she is awful.

Just because she's a flawed character doesn't mean she's awful

She makes some lovely decisions sometimes but I bet you weren't a stellar beacon of perfection at her age and didn't do things that were selfish or spiteful

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Just because she's a flawed character doesn't mean she's awful

She makes some lovely decisions sometimes but I bet you weren't a stellar beacon of perfection at her age and didn't do things that were selfish or spiteful

that would be fine if she was the antagonist.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

HMS Boromir posted:

I'm sure we can all agree that Sucy is best girl.

:agreed:

yuna
Jul 11, 2016

They have this invention called toilet now. Maybe if you hang up the cell phone yould know this

i am debating whether to rewatch the ovas now or later right before the tv show airs. it's kind of dumb that i'm questioning this though because every time is a good time to rewatch lwa

also akko is cute and that makes her the perfect protagonist for an anime about cute witch girls. why overthink it

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I've heard all about LWA but I don't know where to watch the previous stuff of it, legally or otherwise.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Netflix is currently the only legal place to watch them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Solaris Knight posted:

I've heard all about LWA but I don't know where to watch the previous stuff of it, legally or otherwise.

I watched the first one on Crunchyroll some time ago. Not sure if it's still there.

e: nevermind, I guess it's gone.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My friend keeps bugging me to watch the original shorts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

My friend keeps bugging me to watch the original shorts.

You should! It's very sweet and honest, and it has a refreshing and innocent feeling that makes it feel like watching a Western Disney animation.

It's also quite nicely animated.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ah! Trailers! We have trailers!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsVDFa2AUXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgz2bMz-Zz8

(I'm bad and kind of forgot about this!!)

The new series premieres in January!! Set your calendars!

Anime news Network announcement

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Starting on the 8th of January is v good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking of Trigger, they are doing 3 minutes of animated cutscenes/intro for much-hyped indie game by the creators of Skullgirls, Indivisible(which is still backable if this is your first time learning of it, with a fully playable alpha demo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9gEU8Do8Q

I am very excited for this, both the game, and knowing that any animated cutscenes will be done by Trigger.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 7, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Little Witch Academia is cool. Indivisible is cool. Trigger is cool.

I really should finish Luluco already.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
indivisible looks good. no one ever seems to copy valkyrie profile's battle system, which is really too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

indivisible looks good. no one ever seems to copy valkyrie profile's battle system, which is really too bad.

There is/was a prototype on Steam and PSN. The mechanics are pretty drat solid.

• Locked thread