Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
First episode was perfect. Glad to know that Sucy is still the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

First episode was perfect. Glad to know that Sucy is still the best

Was there ever any doubt?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also yeah, this first episode was kinda reminiscent of the opening to Chamber of Secrets in "Oh no, we're gonna be late to the opening ceremony oh no we fell into the woods oh no we're being attacked"

Oh no this creature that petrifies people is after me but luckily the gryffindor sword appears to save me

I don't really remember much about Harry Potter though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sucy in the first episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LxITlJplhw

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I love that Sucy had no plans to actually go to the academy.

It just kind of happened, and now she's rolling with it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just found out that Lotte is from Finland. She also apparently brought with her some salmiakki.

I'm very amused about Akko and Sucy's reactions. Come on, it ain't so bad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And Sucy is Filipino.

https://twitter.com/blackbookalpha/status/818561395683782656

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

That's cool but it makes me wonder why they romanized her name into Manbavaran instead of Mambabarang (they're the same in katakana).

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Negrostrike posted:

Just found out that Lotte is from Finland. She also apparently brought with her some salmiakki.

Haha, I thought that thing falling out of her bag looked familiar when I saw it flying by, but wasn't paying close enough attention, apparently. That rules

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

chiasaur11 posted:

she had the pamphlet for the school

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, I think she was on her way to school reading a book, and that was just some blunt foreshadowing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I feel bad for characters in a show where there is someone who is so extremely ahead of the pack and by far the best that they can't compete.

The entire cast could be 10/10s but they just won't ever compare to Sucy

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

me irl

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Sucy is my least favourite character in the main cast, to be honest.

e: Not saying she's a bad character or anything, I just think Akko and Lotte are more fun.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 10, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I tried watching the second movie and I hate everyone. Should I just skip it or is it important to the show?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

ViggyNash posted:

I tried watching the second movie and I hate everyone. Should I just skip it or is it important to the show?

You should just skip the whole show haha

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the show is a reboot

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

You should just skip the whole show haha

Well I liked the first movie a lot so that's not the issue.

Davincie posted:

the show is a reboot

Oh cool. I don't have to bother finishing that then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Future characterisation is going to be more like the second OVA than the first, considering it's more recent and a newer take on the characters personalities so you're more likely to not like the show than to do so

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe, but the first episode was great. I think we just need more time to get used to the characters (the different version of them at least), which is what having a TV format allows. Akko is still kinda annoying but since she wasn't just screaming about poo poo the whole time ( like the 20 minutes I watched of the second ova) it was more than bearable.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

My extremely qualified opinion is that the first episode was Good As Hell

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

More Suomi stuff in LWA:
https://twitter.com/Nieidanine/status/818430247842566144

Lotte has some surströmming with her holy poo poo. She will definitely use it for something that's not eating. :stare:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This first episode was a pure delight. The characterization is just as strong here as I remember it being in both movies.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i saw many comments here and in the past complaining about akko in the second OVA but she never bothered me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
She was incredibly annoying / kind of a lovely person in it, and the redemption or character development or whatever you want to call it by the end didn't really do enough to make up for it IMO.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Wait, is this really a reboot? I never got around to seeing the 2nd OVA, if it's not vital I might put it off a little longer.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I recently rewatched both of the ovas, and honestly Akko being annoying didn't bother me.

She was just about as annoying in the first OVA, and it just seems like it's her character. She's ... just kind of annoying, but also very endearing and earnest. So I expect her to get even more annoying in upcoming weeks - because she was pretty annoying in ep1 too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really hope not. If the argument is that she's just as annoying in both (which I don't necessarily buy) then what makes her insufferable in OVA2 would be the longer running length - and for the longer still length of a two cour series that would be loving terrible.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
what the gently caress is wrong with all of you trashing akko

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just saw the second episode. I know it's early yet, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this series is going to be an all-time classic. I love everything about it.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

i like that in this, unlike the ovas, akko actually has some use other than "can use the protag-stick"

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Astro Ambulance posted:

i like that in this, unlike the ovas, akko actually has some use other than "can use the protag-stick"

She does seem to be getting a looooooooooot of mileage out of it, though...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, I mean, if Harry had gotten the Sword of Gryffindor in Philosopher's, he woulda used it a lot more.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I guess they're changing the rod to be less vitally important to the school's well-being

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

While I like the episode, I hope the series doesn't turn into her resolving every problem with the Shiny Rod suddenly coming to life at the end of every episode.

But the atmosphere is so warm and fuzzy that I'm sure I'll love it regardless.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i like that the cardgame is just, mtg.

also check out the girl in the top right looking real pissed of at our mcs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/tohoanimestore/status/820843471351099392

Yes please.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

While I like the episode, I hope the series doesn't turn into her resolving every problem with the Shiny Rod suddenly coming to life at the end of every episode.

I think it probably would have worked normally throughout this episode had Akko been actually casting spells with it instead of just yelling commands.

Also, those little scenes in the ending song :allears:

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 16, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is it me or was Diana nicer than in the OVAs? She didn't seem to care for her groupies' bullying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think it probably would have worked normally throughout this episode had Akko been actually casting spells with it instead of just yelling commands.

Also, those little scenes in the ending song :allears:

My fave was the one where they were stopped out on a scenic drive, with some little European car and Akko and the teacher were looking at a roadmap. I feel like I've seen that car before somewhere in an anime -- Castle of Cagliostro perhaps?

• Locked thread