Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sucy still the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Davincie posted:

also check out the girl in the top right looking real pissed of at our mcs

She looks like Sucy's evil twin, or what would happen if player two also chose Sucy.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Would Sucy's evil (opposite) twin just be a good Sucy?

Regular Sucy still the best.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what happened to Avery between episodes 1 and 2?

Did Diana make the three of them fight to the death for the sidekick slot?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Tenebrais posted:

Is it me or was Diana nicer than in the OVAs? She didn't seem to care for her groupies' bullying.

I noticed that too. It's actually a pretty nice change, and coupled with her getting undeserved praise at the end of the episode, I'm excited to see where they end up taking her character in the show

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

(Source)

I wonder if this was an intentional reference. The fact that the car color is the same makes me think it is.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Know of whether his art is based on anything? At any rate, insta follow because cute.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ursula's characterization is basically the exact opposite of how she was portrayed in the first OVA and that's interesting.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
I am liking how the characters are portrayed in this. Even if the Shiny Rod is a part of solving all of the show's problems I think that will be coupled with Akko learning the value of practical study as well. She can't use the thing without spells and her encyclopedic knowledge of her cards shows that she has the aptitude to learn actual spell casting/rote memorization

I feel bad for this version of Diana. Her not having friends, just followers, will probably come up in a big way later.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like Diana's being portrayed more sympathetically in this series, which I'm fine with.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they have an encyclopedia for relevant terms on the Japanese website and someone on Tumblr has been translating them.

Episode 1:

quote:

Witch
The history of witches goes back earlier than 2,500 BCE. A witch was a profession, and magic is an acquired craft that one learns. There is no race of witches, however there are necessary qualities. There are those who do not acquire magical power no matter how much they practice.

Nowadays, due to the advancement of science and technology, magic is not considered an art, but closer to a traditional entertainment form. The misuse of magic is strictly prohibited, and violators are subjected to harsh punishments.

Luna Nova
Established in the 5th century, and holds approximately 1,600 years of history.
Traditionally it is hereditary, and family lineage is greatly considered in succession. However due to a shortage of successors in recent years, the school has received new students universally. Currently the use of magic requires national qualifications, and at Luna Nova there are various subjects specialized for acquiring them and for joining various agencies that put to service one’s qualifications. By custom of mages, there are those who learn magic solely for the sake of the art, but there are many students of witch families who enter with little sense of purpose.

Chariot Card
A Shiny Chariot trading card that Akko has personally acquired. There is only one premium card that she has not been able to get no matter what. Even now she mourns over the fact that she has not been able to complete her set.

Alcor
Chariot’s familiar. A crow. Currently he lives on a barstool in the personal room of Ursula, of Luna Nova.

Alcor Doll
One of Akko’s possessions. A plush toy sold during the heyday of Shiny Chariot, made in Japan. Due to Sucy’s magic, it was temporarily animated. It is one of Akko’s favorite Chariot merchandise that she brought along. Turned inside out, it appears as a hat. It sits on Akko’s desk.

Arkturus Forest
An ancient, sacred forest protected by magic trees. It is inhabited by mandrakes, cockatrices, and other ecology yet to be confirmed, and entering is prohibited. Akko and her friends arrived losing their way on the ley line. It is said that even witches do not know its whereabouts.

Mandrake
A man-eating magical plant residing in Arkturus Forest. The one that attacked Akko and her friends was a violet mandrake, a diurnal species.

Cockatrice
A giant magical beast inhabiting Arkturus Forest. Its feathers are poisonous, and can be made into a poison rare even among poison collectors. Sucy sought after it. The beast can petrify with just its breath, and can even breathe fire from its mouth.

Shiny Rod
The magic staff of Shiny Chariot. In the middle of being chased by the Cockatrice in Arkturus Forest, it appeared (by chance?) before Akko.

Shiny Arc
One of the forms that Shiny Rod transforms into according to the wishes of its user.

Episode 2

quote:

Goblin Janitors
The janitors of Luna Nova, responsible for sanitation and setting tables for meals within the school. There are many different kinds of orderlies that work at Luna Nova.

Luna Alphabet
An alphabet system used by the witches of old. It is an introductory course, the first course in magic linguistics.

Finelan
A strict teacher at Luna Nova. She is an advanced magician, holding 2 Feathers. Unlike other more sloppy teachers, she holds to formalities the most.
Among her teaching responsibilities are Magic Linguistics and student counseling. She is an austere conventionalist. Being fastidious, she despises plots, tricks, and human attachments.

Lukić
She is called the Occult teacher. With 2 Feathers*, she is an advanced witch.
She is one of the oldest witches within Luna Nova. Superstitions, curses, and eschatology are her personal interests. Her age-old face and habit of speaking excessively has displeased even the teachers around her. Her teaching responsibilities include magical pharmaceutics, alchemy, and law. Her lectures are extremely boring to most students with the exception of Sucy.

Badcock
Her responsibilities include magical numerology and other subjects. She is also in charge of the school’s financial affairs and is an advisor to the headmaster. She holds 2 Feathers. Being part of Luna Nova’s management, she is troubled by the school’s finances. She manages the equipment of the students, and is a very fussy teacher.

Papilliodya
Butterflies that travel the five continents. They hatch once every 120 years. It is said that they kindle hope in the hearts of all those who see them.

Jennifer’s Memorial Tree
A tree inside Luna Nova’s botanical gardens, brought to life by the Nine Old Witches. It is said to inherit the will of the great witch Jennifer.
*If you look at the each professor’s hats, you can see they have one or two feathers stuck in them.

So now we know the names of the other teachers, including Ursula's boss.

I imagine the card Akko doesn't have will be important later.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets discuss the goblins. harry potter style slaves or not?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Badcock tee hee

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Neat little reference: looks like the magic books are written in the language of the Voynich Manuscript.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Davincie posted:

it was the elves who were slaves in Harry Potter

The janitor goblin seemed to have a uniform so Luna Nova has that on Hogwarts at least.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Davincie posted:

cute

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ursula's characterization is basically the exact opposite of how she was portrayed in the first OVA and that's interesting.

Indeed. A lot of characterization is different.

quote:

Alcor Doll
One of Akko’s possessions. A plush toy sold during the heyday of Shiny Chariot, made in Japan. Due to Sucy’s magic, it was temporarily animated. It is one of Akko’s favorite Chariot merchandise that she brought along. Turned inside out, it appears as a hat. It sits on Akko’s desk.
:aaaaa:
Whaaaaaaat?
I want one now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, like how as previously mentioned, Diana is less of a popular bully and more a prodigy rival.

E: I also like that the show does this

https://twitter.com/SeHNNG/status/820725167592611840

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 17, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Their written language is literally moon runes. :haw:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, like how as previously mentioned, Diana is less of a popular bully and more a prodigy rival.

E: I also like that the show does this

https://twitter.com/SeHNNG/status/820725167592611840

Oh! I noticed this!!! It's such a good attention to detail -- she does have huge coke-bottle glasses but they're not like attached to her face in a weird way, and she's got actual eyes underneath.

Actually, have you noticed all the backgrounds in the show? They're really quite beautifully drawn.

It's a gorgeous show. :allears:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Their written language is literally moon runes. :haw:

And Voynich text!

(mods: apparently Wikipedia doesn't care about hot linking their images, but let me know if you do)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I like how Sucy is shaping up to being something like an rear end in how she just experiments on you without your consent or knowledge but otherwise is kinda chill; like she takes it as payment for tolerating you in her presence.

Diana being actually flustered about praise she didn't earn, and perhaps guilty about it is really nice. Like what if Draco had a sense of honour.

The extra world building and Luna Nova being something of an international multicultural school is nice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There were hints of it in the first version, with Diana being willing to admit her errors and seeming like she was going to offer to help with the parade before Akko went "WE DON'T NEED YOU!" in a preemptive strike, but yeah. She's definitely being shown in a better light. A lot of changes, but the characters still feel reasonably consistent with their first iterations.

Good show, Trigger.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I noticed that too. It's actually a pretty nice change, and coupled with her getting undeserved praise at the end of the episode, I'm excited to see where they end up taking her character in the show

Agreed. When she was putting down Shiny Chariot, for example, it seemed more like she was just being matter-of-fact about it, like "She's not respected here anymore" rather than "Haw haw, your heroine sucks!" I'm preferring the change so far. Akko is slightly less overbearing than in the 2nd OVA too.

Lotte and Sucy are basically the same, which is good. Why mess with perfection?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nick Biped posted:

Agreed. When she was putting down Shiny Chariot, for example, it seemed more like she was just being matter-of-fact about it, like "She's not respected here anymore" rather than "Haw haw, your heroine sucks!" I'm preferring the change so far. Akko is slightly less overbearing than in the 2nd OVA too.

Lotte and Sucy are basically the same, which is good. Why mess with perfection?

Yeah, they're all changes for the better. Diana is confident and self-assured but she isn't smug about it. Akko's still energetic and brave (and clumsy), but she's less bullheadedly stubborn than in the first two OVAs.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Agronox posted:

And Voynich text!

(mods: apparently Wikipedia doesn't care about hot linking their images, but let me know if you do)
it's possible theyre using the text as some sort of cipher but the people who think they will solve the original are laughable

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

wow, that's great

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It'd be pretty cool if the Shiny Rod isn't a super-powerful artefact, but just a fancy-looking wand with some quality-of-life adjustments (like the gems that light up in the presence of strong magic), and all the really flashy, powerful poo poo is simply because Chariot/Ursula's mastered a bunch of highly advanced spells.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
diana's cool, she sees herself as the hero of her own story, and that means having strong moral bearings of her own

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Tattun (Trigger PR/translation/other poo poo) answered an important question on /a/

quote:

quote:

Hey Tattun, who would you say is your favorite witch?
Diana>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Ursula>>Amanda/Jas>others
he answered some other questions too (e.g. whether LWA gets figures is up to GSC, he bought every KLK doujin he could find after it aired, he does not masturbate at work) and then the mods got confused and banned him
oh yeah and the moonrunes can be translated, they're not gibberish

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Malloc Voidstar posted:

he answered some other questions too (e.g. whether LWA gets figures is up to GSC, he bought every KLK doujin he could find after it aired, he does not masturbate at work) and then the mods got confused and banned him
oh yeah and the moonrunes can be translated, they're not gibberish

I assume it's just a kana replacement cypher.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

I assume it's just a kana replacement cypher.

It is. So far all we've seen has been lorem ipsum though

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokinokaro posted:

It is. So far all we've seen has been lorem ipsum though

Do the Japanese also use Lorem Ipsum or do they have their own version?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There Bias Two posted:

Roren Ipusun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love Turn A Gundam.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

There were hints of it in the first version, with Diana being willing to admit her errors and seeming like she was going to offer to help with the parade before Akko went "WE DON'T NEED YOU!" in a preemptive strike, but yeah. She's definitely being shown in a better light. A lot of changes, but the characters still feel reasonably consistent with their first iterations.

Good show, Trigger.

It's still consistent with her being at the same Shiny Chariot performance Akko was at, but they're really developing the depth of her rivalry as closer to a reluctant rival rather than an out and out one. I'd imagine Diana was probably like Akko with Shiny Chariot but since she grew up in magical society, she had to weather the disappearance and shaming of her idol at a young age and internalized it. I'm also betting she has the one card Akko doesn't have because of course she would.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

There Bias Two posted:

http://generator.lorem-ipsum.info/_japanese

It's just complete nonsense, though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dang this is a good anime so far. its better than the shorts IMO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's still consistent with her being at the same Shiny Chariot performance Akko was at, but they're really developing the depth of her rivalry as closer to a reluctant rival rather than an out and out one. I'd imagine Diana was probably like Akko with Shiny Chariot but since she grew up in magical society, she had to weather the disappearance and shaming of her idol at a young age and internalized it. I'm also betting she has the one card Akko doesn't have because of course she would.

And also coming from a very powerful, very influential, and very different magical legacy herself, I guess. I mean, her performance this episode put forward a pretty compelling case for 'our way is best' (before she got shown up, of course, but even that doesn't exactly negate her power, knowledge, and talent).

She's wrong, but she's wrong for pretty reasonable reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://files.catbox.moe/r5oppv.webm

Terrific

also, boooooo to the witch hat only sometimes being part of the uniform

• Locked thread