Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
There's something absolutely adorable about the way she says "Yay!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Knorth posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/r5oppv.webm

Terrific

also, boooooo to the witch hat only sometimes being part of the uniform

Her skirt seems longer and more modest than in the ED/other materials, which I like; and what ever happened to the thing where the skirt for flying on the brooms is also supposed to be some sort of pajamas for modesty security reasons? I liked the idea but I haven't really seen anything to indicate it since.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Knorth posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/r5oppv.webm

Terrific

also, boooooo to the witch hat only sometimes being part of the uniform

Would they even object if she just wore it? If a teacher gave her grief for it, it would probably end up like the 'boy's uniform' scene in the first episode of Utena.

Kibibit posted:

There's something absolutely adorable about the way she says "Yay!"

:agreed: It's the perfect delivery.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Darth Walrus posted:

And also coming from a very powerful, very influential, and very different magical legacy herself, I guess. I mean, her performance this episode put forward a pretty compelling case for 'our way is best' (before she got shown up, of course, but even that doesn't exactly negate her power, knowledge, and talent).

She's wrong, but she's wrong for pretty reasonable reasons.

Yeah, it's not hard to see things from her side considering that this school expects a certain basic level of knowledge in the subjects when Akko doesn't even know that magic is hard. To an outward observer, she seems like someone who got it by accident and will wash out in the first semester when they find out what work at the school is really like. She, being someone who likely has worked hard, feels no reason to hide her feelings--but does feel a certain level of disgust or is unsettled by the bullying behavior of her sycophants. And she is certainly unsettled by unwarranted praise (further evidence of her work ethic and how much she values hard work).

I found it interesting how she never mentioned her family history--only her sycophants did.

Also the animation is top-notch. What, did Netflix throw OVA money at Trigger?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

My favorite detail: of course Akko would cheat at Magic the Gathering lol

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

My favorite detail: of course Akko would cheat at Magic the Gathering lol

early magic had a LOT of errata

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tattun says that one of the producers has a cheat sheet for the cipher but won't share it until the series is over. She did agree to an AMA on /a/ if there was demand.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The thing that confuses me right now is *why* the headmaster would make an exception for Akko and admit her to the school.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fangz posted:

The thing that confuses me right now is *why* the headmaster would make an exception for Akko and admit her to the school.

Maybe a special education quota needed to be met?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

They already explained it, didn't they? Magic isn't a hereditary talent, but it is a hereditary profession, so they've been limiting themselves unnecessarily, and now witches are starting to die out, so they need to start bringing in kids from non-magical families to ensure they still have enough pupils to keep the school running. Akko was just the first one to sign up.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Darth Walrus posted:

They already explained it, didn't they? Magic isn't a hereditary talent, but it is a hereditary profession, so they've been limiting themselves unnecessarily, and now witches are starting to die out, so they need to start bringing in kids from non-magical families to ensure they still have enough pupils to keep the school running. Akko was just the first one to sign up.

Since they apparently require you to fly through a portal on a broom to even get in the school, Akko may also be the last non-magic user to sign up :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pursued by bees posted:

Since they apparently require you to fly through a portal on a broom to even get in the school, Akko may also be the last non-magic user to sign up :v:

They can find their own wacky and/or dangerous adventure that leads to a ride and new friends :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It'd be funny if some nonmagical whiz kid built a jetpack to get through the portal. On the other hand, that brings us dangerously close to Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.

EDIT: Or - er - wait, couldn't they just use a ladder or some climbing rope?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
pretty sure the portal has gravity though
good luck climbing five miles through a magical whirlpool thing

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pursued by bees posted:

That is the basic problem here, yes - while anyone can learn magic, a culture that's immersed in it is going to have serious difficulties with adjusting to people who don't come from a culture immersed in it. It's quite a rich little theme they've decided to build the show around here, actually.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Harry Potter except instead of just being raised by Muggles, Harry's just straight up a Muggle.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Harry Potter except instead of just being raised by Muggles, Harry's just straight up a Muggle.

And the wizarding world has even less idea about how to deal with muggles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

And Harry's not a rich jock and Draco's not a poo poo

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
And magic gives even less of a poo poo about bloodlines, apparently

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I like the idea of Akko being Neville Longbottom X Harry Potter.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Her dad paid a donation to get Akko into the academy.

I don't think she's poor or even middle class.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

TFRazorsaw posted:

Her dad paid a donation to get Akko into the academy.

I don't think she's poor or even middle class.

They're at least well-off enough to afford tickets to a Shiny Chariot performance, and that did not look like the kind of show where the tickets are cheap.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Command Ant posted:

They're at least well-off enough to afford tickets to a Shiny Chariot performance, and that did not look like the kind of show where the tickets are cheap.

Not to mention well off enough to send her to magic school, which doesn't seem to be a universally respected vocation. They're basically paying for a liberal arts degree here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe we'll get a summer-holiday episode where Akko takes her friends home to her parents' ultramansion.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
And while she wasn't able to get the Black Lotus she was able to get all the other super premium cards when they were all hoooooot poo poo. I think Akko turning out to be loaded would be a funny twist.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This is mostly exactly what I was hoping for but man that OP is so bland.

e: ED is really nice though

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2017

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think I get why this show isn't clicking for me: the script was written for literal children. I mean, yeah that might not be a revelation to some people, but for me its making all the difference to have figured that out. It spends its sweet time overstating every single sentiment a character has about a situation by having characters literally overstate it (sometimes having multiple characters restate the same sentiment unecessarily), even though it's usually a single straightforward and simple to understand perspective. The show hammers you over the head with the simplest of concepts about the characters and their relationships, just in case someone out there was not mentally capable of understanding those basic ideas the first time around. They could certainly develop and improve the characters in interesting ways over time, sure, but the moment to moment interactions are just so childish.

As much as I absolutely love the fantastic animation and visuals in this show, I don't know that I can stand that. I see how the third episode is before I leave because when the action got going it was a blast to watch, but I found it hard to watch nearly everything else.

*cue thread erruption*

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Nah, you may be right about that, but if it's not too dumb about it I will enjoy it anyway, same way I can with Pixar cartoons, etc.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ViggyNash posted:

It spends its sweet time overstating every single sentiment a character has about a situation by having characters literally overstate it (sometimes having multiple characters restate the same sentiment unecessarily), even though it's usually a single straightforward and simple to understand perspective. The show hammers you over the head with the simplest of concepts about the characters and their relationships, just in case someone out there was not mentally capable of understanding those basic ideas the first time around.

Maybe the target audience is just people with autism.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Aaaaaaaaaand we're off to the races.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Jokes on you, I watch American kids' cartoons, too :smug:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

ViggyNash posted:

I think I get why this show isn't clicking for me: the script was written for literal children. I mean, yeah that might not be a revelation to some people, but for me its making all the difference to have figured that out. It spends its sweet time overstating every single sentiment a character has about a situation by having characters literally overstate it (sometimes having multiple characters restate the same sentiment unecessarily), even though it's usually a single straightforward and simple to understand perspective. The show hammers you over the head with the simplest of concepts about the characters and their relationships, just in case someone out there was not mentally capable of understanding those basic ideas the first time around. They could certainly develop and improve the characters in interesting ways over time, sure, but the moment to moment interactions are just so childish.

As much as I absolutely love the fantastic animation and visuals in this show, I don't know that I can stand that. I see how the third episode is before I leave because when the action got going it was a blast to watch, but I found it hard to watch nearly everything else.

*cue thread erruption*

Eh it's just a fun show. Maybe don't read too much into it.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Also Akko best.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

*cue thread erruption*

loving children acting so loving childish

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Parallax posted:

loving children acting so loving childish

Eh, 'this isn't my thing because it isn't geared at my demographic' is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. He doesn't seem to be blaming it for being aimed at kids, just saying that he, personally, isn't all that into kids' shows.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

LWA airs at loving midnight in Japan, it's not a kid's show just because you don't like it, lol.

Like, you're allowed to not like a thing, you don't have to lie to justify it.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 20, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

LWA airs at loving midnight in Japan, it's not a kid's show just because you don't like it, lol.

That seems like a pretty badly missed opportunity, though - it seems like it could do pretty great in a kid-friendly timeslot. Like really, there seems to be absolutely nothing about it that suggests you should lock it away for adults only.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's because kids don't have the otaku disposable income that drives the industry. Anime airing late like this is super common.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

That seems like a pretty badly missed opportunity, though - it seems like it could do pretty great in a kid-friendly timeslot. Like really, there seems to be absolutely nothing about it that suggests you should lock it away for adults only.

Shows tend to air several times a week, on different channels and time-slots.
The first airing isn't necessarily the one they bank on for getting the most eyes on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

LWA is definitely a kids show but that doesn't make that criticism sound any less overblown

• Locked thread