Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
There's any number of animes about kids out there and plenty of them have scripts that don't sound like they were written for 10 year olds. Being a show about kids is totally different than being aimed at kids, and if LWA wasn't aimed at kids then idk why the script writing is the way it is. I personally find the dialogue rather frustrating to listen to.

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, 'this isn't my thing because it isn't geared at my demographic' is a perfectly reasonable opinion to have. He doesn't seem to be blaming it for being aimed at kids, just saying that he, personally, isn't all that into kids' shows.

Exactly, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's weird to assume someone is lying instead of just not knowing the timeslot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's fine to stop watching a show because you don't like the scriptwriting but if you're making a big, critical post about it and immediately following it up with "heh, now for the thread to errupt and jump on me" you're kind of asking for it

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

it's fine to stop watching a show because you don't like the scriptwriting but if you're making a big, critical post about it and immediately following it up with "heh, now for the thread to errupt and jump on me" you're kind of asking for it

I'm just sharing my impression and that's it. But you guys pretty much always get up in arms when I say anything controversial, even if I think its reasonable, so I just acknowledge it before it happens. Plus it's kinda fun seeing the shitpost parade that follows.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I'm just sharing my impression and that's it. But you guys pretty much always get up in arms when I say anything controversial, even if I think its reasonable, so I just acknowledge it before it happens. Plus it's kinda fun seeing the shitpost parade that follows.

Dance, puppets

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Here's my edgy, controversial opinion: LWA is actually very good

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgB7dsIAKZc

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

And while she wasn't able to get the Black Lotus she was able to get all the other super premium cards when they were all hoooooot poo poo. I think Akko turning out to be loaded would be a funny twist.

While I don't think Trigger are going to read into the class politics that far, it makes perfect sense to me that Akko's family would actually be considerably wealthier than Diana's. She's a foreign student whose parents sent her to an exclusive British private school. That sort of thing generally takes serious cash. Diana on the other hand is old money who got in through family connections. (With British universities at least, I would generally be prepared to put money on the foreign students being, on average at least, considerably better off money-wise than most of the British nationals. But that's also because you take into account subsidies and student loans. That's way to far for a children's anime to go though.)

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 20, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Maybe Akko got in because she's super gifted or something.

*snickers*

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Yuss, technology-girl is back from the second OVA. I wonder how she gets wi-fi at that place?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Interesting.

I always kinda assumed that Professor Ursula was, well, the default look. She was a witch who put on this big act to inspire kids into magic as a career (and maybe take care of some problems on the side without raising a fuss), and then put things away once she couldn't hack it any more for one reason or another.

But that picture pretty clearly shows she was the same Shiny Chariot back in her school days. It could just be the magic community being tired of her poo poo and her making a fake identity just to hide away... but I kind of wonder if there's more going on here.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wonderful, I am looking forward to seeing Akko capture the Golden Snitch.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi this show is amazing. It's so good.

I haven't really watched new anime shows in about a decade after falling out hard with the medium but this makes me feel joy like nothing has in a long time.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Episode 3 was also great

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The race was a riot. Akko's team cheating like a bunch of motherfuckers was great and the Hoppy Broom was loving hilarious.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this show is perfect

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Aw, Sucy's so charmingly evil, especially when she's trying to help her friends.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Another solid episode. That race was awesome, and I love how expressive the characters can get (see Akko the absolute madwoman's face above).

I also dig how it looks like the ending credits will mix in new illustrations showing post-episode scenes and such.

Nick Biped fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 23, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Aw, Sucy's so charmingly evil, especially when she's trying to help her friends.

Sucy is the absolute best.

Though I wonder what happened to the broom?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Episode 3 was great. Such a good show. The writing is just really setting a high bar and is genuinely funny.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

akko's training montage is one of the funniest things i've ever seen in anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish every full-length trigger show was this good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Parallax posted:

akko's training montage is one of the funniest things i've ever seen in anime

Especially since the punchline is her faceplanting exactly as hard as she did before she started.

I do hope Akko starts to become at least a little competent sooner rather than later, tho. The show's really funny, but I'm just a little worried that Akko might start just feeling like a load if she doesn't start to get her feet under her soon.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

The race was a riot. Akko's team cheating like a bunch of motherfuckers was great and the Hoppy Broom was loving hilarious.

It's was mainly Sucy who cheated. She's clearly the brains of the trio

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Xelkelvos posted:

It's was mainly Sucy who cheated. She's clearly the brains of the trio

Between Sucy's creepy behaviour and Akko's manic energy, I wonder what Lotte must be thinking sometimes.

I did like how the race announcer lampshaded it by calling Lotte an average and ordinary girl when she was temporarily in the lead.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Every frame a painting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The faces really are a treasure in this show. Akko in particular is so wonderfully expressive and funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

there was one quick cut where it showed akko was able to light the cannon with her wand that I caught which might show that she's capable of channeling magic by herself but it's still a bit shaky

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0XPRn390n4

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Though I wonder what happened to the broom?

It wasn't a broom. It was some kind of magical critter that was fettered into service. Notice how it sprouts wings and takes off when the metal bits are broken off.

The Colonel posted:

i wish every full-length trigger show was this good

Seriously, can you imagine if, before their first show, someone sat down with them and said "Hey guys, maybe could you not make your debut series revolve around 15 year olds stripping each other naked? And also, could you cut back a little on the parent-child molestation? See, right now your script has it at 'some', but you really, really need to get it back to 'none' in order to not be incredibly creepy."

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

you'll take lewdness from imaishi's cold, dead drawing hand

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unfortunately, imaishi's lewdness works best when it's a ridiculous magical girl action drama ova where the main character is a lonely office worker, and not when it's the second half of kill la kill

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

theres no way that broom isnt coming back at a Climactic Moment, right

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There was a few frames of Inferno Cop in there when Akko flew through someone's living room and you can't sneak it past me, LWA

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jesus. Akko, calm down you absolute madwoman.

This show is almost too good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

There was a few frames of Inferno Cop in there when Akko flew through someone's living room and you can't sneak it past me, LWA

Inferno Cop is everywhere, Dicktron. But most importantly, he's always in... our hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Nipponophile posted:

It wasn't a broom. It was some kind of magical critter that was fettered into service. Notice how it sprouts wings and takes off when the metal bits are broken off.

Yes, but I'll keep calling it a broom because "the magical creature that's taped in a broom" is annoying to say.

• Locked thread