Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

The bench I posted in the first post is pretty drat solid and foolproof, it uses 1 8x4 sheet of your choice, the bottom shelf is 8" thinner and shorter than the top because of the 2x4 frame and legs. I used 3/4" ply, you could use OSB. I'd recommend topping it with 1/2" or 1/4" mdf as a sacrificial layer.

Top is 96"x28", bottom shelf is 88"x20". Build a 2x4 frame to fit under each, butt joints and screws is fine. Decide on the height you want, minus the top thickness. Build 4 legs that height (2x4 and 2x6 if you want them to look even, 2x4 & 2x4 if you don't care). Legs go inside the top, outside the bottom shelf. More screws. Done. Beer.

Rather than MDF, I use Hardboard, which is smoother and thinner, plus it doesn't turn to dust quite to fast.

Rather than trying to bolt the bench to the wall, you could always use a cleat system. That's what I've done for a lot of my cabinets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Having shallow chemical shelves is great too. no more digging to the back of a bunch of cans. These cleared up an entire 5 shelf 18x40x72 rack. It's nothing but fenceboards and 50 cent shelf brackets.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

Perfect timing, my garage isn't a total mess right now.

Some of you may remember from my long out of date thread (I seriously need to get on that) that my brother bought a house with a garage that could fit a Divco. Since I rent a room from him I get to use it!

Overall it is 23ft wide x 33 ft long so it just big enough for 3 cars. Plus it has 10 ft ceilings so tall vehicles will fit but it isn't quite tall enough to make a lift worthwhile.

Originally the garage had 8ft doors, which wasn't quite tall enough for the Divco.

So we had the door opens enlarged and an additional 18" panel added to the garage doors. The doors are really nice 2" thick insulated Overhead Door brand doors so we wanted to keep them.

The only downside is that the doors have faded a bit over the years so its a bit obvious there is a new panel. But the truck now fits so meh.

It has a full attic with pulldown stairs which is great for storing all the misc truck parts that we've accumulated over the years.

Plus there are some pretty good views from up there :)

There is a 10x10 room in the back for tool storage with a good sized workbench the previous owners left behind

Of course with the required garage computer & harbor freight toolbox

There are a bunch of florescent lights but most of the bulbs are on the way out. Slowly but surely we're swapping them for LED replacements

It just would have been nice if the garage was a couple feet longer, the Mustang and Divco have to be parked pretty closely together for both of them to fit

The next big purchase will be a natural gas heater for the garage. Just need to trench a line 120' or so from the meter to the garage. The projects never end...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Good idea on the shelving system guys.

Took a couple hours after work today to finish moving boxes and demo a bit.

Progress...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

Now we wait for slung blade to come in and make us all jealous.

I thought I wasn't allowed to post my garage in here :smith:

Also your paint can shelves idea is awesome, I really like that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You're always welcome, we'll just be jealous.

Chemical shelves is a good idea, consider putting a bungee/tension cord across the front as well to keep things in place.

I need a dry day to cut and prep timber for my gate then I'll see what I've left, I want to strengthen the kids play house then what's left becomes more shelves. I've permission to gut the old pushchair for go kart parts too, all of this is gradually making space a piece at a time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Admittedly, this is cheating a bit. It's my dad's garage and it's ~2 hours away from where I live. It is heated and very spacious, though.

We've recently added a DIY tire rack and a wood workbench, too.

The reason why it's so drat clean is that we hardly ever work on cars in there :ssh:, we mostly do various DIY projects such as woodworking, building speakers and home improvement projects.

The latest project was this loading ramp for my dad's van. It'll come in super handy for when he's out playing gigs with his band.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

KozmoNaut posted:

The reason why it's so drat clean is that we hardly ever work on cars in there :ssh:, we mostly do various DIY projects such as woodworking, building speakers and home improvement projects.

That garage may actually be TOO nice to work in.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

I thought I wasn't allowed to post my garage in here :smith:

It's not done yet.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sandbagger SA posted:

That garage may actually be TOO nice to work in.

Also, my dad is a real stickler for cleaning up after any project.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It ain't much, but it's mine. Deep 2 car garage in a townhouse. Can't say much for the width, but it's deep enough to keep plenty of poo poo between the wall and the cars.

If you guys aren't running surround sound with your garage stereos, then I don't know what to tell you.

Plywood cabinet, 2x4 tote storage, and tire rack pictured here:

Workbench disaster area here:

Found some plans for the workbench and tweaked them a bit for dimensions to fit in that space. Swapped the suggested 2x4 legs for 4x4s. Top is 1/8" luan on top of 5/8" plywood. Mini fridge in that last picture is loving dead so that needs to go away as it's just taking up space.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
For a neat shelving option I rip a 2x4 down the middle then dado in a slot the width of the shelf material, glue and screw on all sides of the shelf then bolt to wall studs and hang them from the ceiling joists with garage door rail. They can be kept high enough to park under and strong enough to climb up and reach the stuff buried at the top.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 4, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I made this workbench with my wife and son the other night. He helped me make the screw driver holder on the stairs. He thinks drills are amazing and wants to now build a little car he can drive.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Grabbed some pictures of my tiny garage in a state of semi cleanliness. Still have a lot of stuff to move out and find space for. Pictures might actually make it look bigger, I need to move the stool next to the workbench in order to fit my station wagon inside. The end goal is to be able to store a small project car inside if everything is put away properly.

Ladders hang on the wall and I might put one of those paint can racks next to it but I think I'll need to put ends and rails on it so I don't clear a shelf while swinging lumber around.

The large tools ie. bandsaw, table saw, belt and disc sander are mounted on locking casters so they can be moved against the wall.
Above the large tools I used some garage door rails to make a small lumber rack which also firms up the door a bit.
An old aluminum laundry shelf just happened to hold these $1 sterilite bins perfectly it is not very sturdy and I need to get around to bolting it to the wall.

above that is another shelf with bins for rags and "raw materials"(random bits of strapping, metal extrusion off cuts, gasket material and the like.
The desk is 2x10 laid flat sandwiched between 2x4 on edge and bolted to the wall studs. I decided to put my baby vice on it, glad I did as even with it turned in I hip check it occasionally when walking by. I find I don't really use the white board as much as I thought I would. If I used it more it might stop me from overthinking projects and changing plans half way through.

Future plans include making a spot to wall mount a small craftsman lathe, find a decent 30gal 5hp compressor, decide whether to modify my garbage harbor freight blasting cabinet or just buy/build a new one and running a 220v dedicated circuit for the welder and compressor

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Finished demoing out my garage. Ocd took over. Now to start building a bench and adding light.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cakefool posted:

You're always welcome, we'll just be jealous.

So my house has a 3 car garage. But it seems to be full of poo poo.

The poor coronet is a shelf. :smith:

I needed to do something about this, it's impossible to work on anything in here without excavating for 2 hours beforehand.

THUS, a recipe for materialistic happiness to fill that gaping void in your life:

Start with a hole.

Add cement and gravel.

Insert wood.

Extra rebar.

Add siding and doors, mix in snow for fun.

Comes with a heater (trenched in the natural gas line) and a big exhaust fan.

And of course...

Oh and some lights and stuff.

Wifi, I had them trench in cat 5 while they put in the electrical. I made the shelf arms, they are not perfect but eh.

The lift is fun.

I need an oil change drain pan for under the hoist.

And today I tidied up a bit.

Engine storage corner.

There's a fair bit of room in front of the truck there.

I need to build a proper fabrication table for welding and cutting on. TIG, MIG, and a plasma cutter on the floor. Oh and a beer fridge of course.

And some basic storage. I need some shelves and tire racks for certain.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Okay you can stop posting, I think that's bigger than my house.

noice.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
My god it's huge.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I love all of these garage pics. I'm getting lots of ideas from them.

Keep posting!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So my shop is a drat mess because I only have time to throw my tools and such in there in between doing stuff (like the 3000' of pasture fencing my wife and I have run), so enjoy this picture from two years ago, when I first moved in.

The interior walls are what the previous tenant used for an office. I plan to gut/remodel, add a shower to the 1/2 bath and have a proper place for guests to stay.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

angryrobots posted:

So my shop is a drat mess because I only have time to throw my tools and such in there in between doing stuff (like the 3000' of pasture fencing my wife and I have run), so enjoy this picture from two years ago, when I first moved in.

The interior walls are what the previous tenant used for an office. I plan to gut/remodel, add a shower to the 1/2 bath and have a proper place for guests to stay.

And by guests you mean more cars, right? RIGHT?!?

Hehe awesome space, I love this thread.

Slung Blade posted:

There's a fair bit of room in front of the truck there.

Ya know, folding those engine hoists up really makes them less annoying to store. I actually don't mind mine even though it's literally right in the way between my cars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can barely squeeze into my garage right now, there's landscaping materials everywhere for a new patio but we're planning the next step already.

Currently there a gravel patch next to the garage, planning permission and cost means I'll struggle to extend the garage into it but a car port is in my future. The gravel is about 2" decorative yellow stuff, then about 4-6" of heavier chunky hardcore. I want to replace the gravel with something I could work on a car on, options I can think of are slabs laid properly & cemented down, or poured concrete. Any other suggestions?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

And by guests you mean more cars, right? RIGHT?!?

Hehe awesome space, I love this thread.
Thanks man. It's slightly less awesome because the previous tenant (an ambulance service who rented the space) removed the 2 post lift AND the heavy duty cantilevered electric crane that was situated between the bays.

All that's left is the 8" pipe cut off at the concrete. :bang:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Cakefool posted:

I can barely squeeze into my garage right now, there's landscaping materials everywhere for a new patio but we're planning the next step already.

Currently there a gravel patch next to the garage, planning permission and cost means I'll struggle to extend the garage into it but a car port is in my future. The gravel is about 2" decorative yellow stuff, then about 4-6" of heavier chunky hardcore. I want to replace the gravel with something I could work on a car on, options I can think of are slabs laid properly & cemented down, or poured concrete. Any other suggestions?

Remove the yellow gravel, then use a whacker plate on the hardcore underneath.

Then just buy some of the proper heavy duty 2x2 or 2x3 slabs and lay them on a dry mix of sharp sand and cement which you have run over with the whacker (then raked the surface back very slightly).

You can lay brick pavers in lines inbetween the slabs if you want to make it look a bit more ornamental for when the car isnt there.

(ive got an electric whacker you can borrow in exchange for beer)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tomarse posted:

(ive got an electric whacker you can borrow in exchange for beer)

Oh God I was so close to buying one of those last night for the patio work. I'll be in touch, you're a star.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a lot more than I used to have and a lot less that I want, but I can't really complain:

3 sq.m. storage unit, filled to the rafters with valuable, essential possesions:

It's basically a phone booth with tools/shelves on 3.5 of the four sides:

Jack, crappy toolbox:

Good toolbox, home made foam race ramps, fluids and sprays:

Parts, odds and ends:

More bits and pieces:

The entire thing is super full, and the majority of the time there's something sitting in the middle that needs to be taken out before anything can be accessed. It's a pain in the dick, but such in condo living.

Anyhoo, off to the work bay. Walking about twenty paces through a couple of doors, we find:

It's a rarity I can get both spots. We don't have assigned parking, but I park in the right one whenever I can get away with it. I don't technically have 230V, but I've finagled it nonetheless, but I'm not really supposed to. Light is the biggest issue. It's a pain in the rear end without.

The parking garage (basement, really) is open to the elements, so it can get a bit cold down there in the winter. Still, it's dry, and a lot better than wrenching in an uncovered unpaved driveway.

I can't really complain, but I would lie if I claimed I wouldn't at least consider it if someone wanted to trade a Slung Blade/FuzzKill grade place for my mum. Biggest gripes are access to 230V and the possibility of just leaving things out for the night.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So my work bench area was great but it was starting to be too small to be both a workbench AND store my garage PC.

So I changed some things around.

The gorilla rack went on the opposite side of the bay door which opened up the whole area right of the original work bench. Then I cut an OSB shelf I removed from another rack in the garage down to size to extend the bench all the way to the wall.

The "extra" bit that was cut off became a shelf for the garage PC. It looks like poo poo but it's a garage and I don't give a gently caress.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sure, one of the toilets in my house doesn't work, but I have more important poo poo to do.

Like build a workbench and organize.

Nice little 12'x3'x3'. Using old cedar bottomed dresser drawers for bins, smells like the forest! Going to grab some tapcons and throw a shelf up top to hold the reciever, PC and speakers.

Then we'll focus on lighting and that should be it!

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
I'm really torn at the moment on building a table. I need to shuffle a few things around to see if I can park my Jeep in the garage and still have enough room for a table. Even if I don't park in there all the time, I think I need a work surface that isn't a couple of saw horses and a piece of plywood.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

What about something like this:
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/skills-and-know-how/tools/how-to-make-a-fold-down-workbench
Edit: Or this,
http://www.instructables.com/id/Wall-Mounted-Folding-Workbench/?ALLSTEPS but don't use the lovely paper towel holder legs.

Here's my garage:

Where I park my car. (this is my old car). I've since removed some of the shelves that are closer to where I'm taking the picture from so my wife's van can fit in the garage with room to walk behind it.

My old work bench

My new work bench, I now have a radial arm saw too, but that wasn't there when I took this picture.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 21, 2016

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Actually, those are both great ideas. I might use them as a starting point later this year. I think my next project is going to be installing a lift on my XJ so I can free up some shelf space.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought some shelving at Home Depot so I could finally get all my car parts up off the floor and move the Datsun inside for the tranny swap. No before pics, unfortunately, but here's the semi-decent after pics, standing in a corner and turning to my left as I go:

In the last pic you can see a big sheet of MDF left by the previous owner of the house, I intend to use that (along with some 2x4's and 4x4's) to make a workbench in that corner under the grey cabinet.

Also on the list: hooks to hang the bikes on the wall or from the ceiling.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I picked up a metal filing cabinet from a skip outside my archery club, bent 1 tab back into place, make some loving terrible handles to replace the broken ones and put everything I most commonly go hunting for within arms reach.

Then I threw up a quick shelf for my bow kit because it didn't really have a proper home before.

We moved a few bits of gardening crap into a little shed, more to go soon but I was then able to break down some stuff I didn't need and actually clear a space

Okay it's not a big space but I can walk around and I can probably mount the extra tube lights safely now.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The garage is coming along.

Still want a MIG welder and press at some point, but I still need to get poo poo on the walls and maybe another tool box.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just about done now.

Got a mess of those costco shop lights, anchored in a shelf above the bench. Just need a longer hdmi cable and I can watch TV or whatever on my baby screen though an old media pc. Figure once I get a white board and a vice I should be about good. Also some conduit and cable cleanup...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

In some ways your workshops inside the building envelope that are heated and cooled make me insanely jealous as its currently 7.6 degrees in my shed outside.

But then I look up at my 4M overhead clearance and figure I can always install a fire place...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mcqueen posted:

Just need a longer hdmi cable

If you're not already familiar with them, Monoprice is insanely cheap for that kinda stuff.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Oh for sure. I think I have one I'm just being constantly bombarded with real issues like "5 of our windows are failing" and "our front door has sagged and now the deadbolt doesn't catch" and "the upstairs bathroom toilet is running". Typical new homeowner poo poo.

It's also all new to me so all my poo poo is taking way too long; EN poo poo.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

The poor coronet is a shelf. :smith:

NO LONGER.

I bought 2 sets of steel shelving. 2 sets = 4 verticals and a pile of horizontals, enough to make 3 units with room to wheel stuff underneath.

Looks alright. I'm probably going to take that shelf under the tires out, doesn't serve much purpose, but I needed it while assembling.

Man it's weird having a small car in here where the Dodge used to loom.

So yeah, the electric tractor and the Coronet are now housed in the shop, where they belong. I might actually work on them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

• Locked thread