Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Cakefool posted:

The bench I posted in the first post is pretty drat solid and foolproof, it uses 1 8x4 sheet of your choice, the bottom shelf is 8" thinner and shorter than the top because of the 2x4 frame and legs. I used 3/4" ply, you could use OSB. I'd recommend topping it with 1/2" or 1/4" mdf as a sacrificial layer.

Top is 96"x28", bottom shelf is 88"x20". Build a 2x4 frame to fit under each, butt joints and screws is fine. Decide on the height you want, minus the top thickness. Build 4 legs that height (2x4 and 2x6 if you want them to look even, 2x4 & 2x4 if you don't care). Legs go inside the top, outside the bottom shelf. More screws. Done. Beer.

Rather than MDF, I use Hardboard, which is smoother and thinner, plus it doesn't turn to dust quite to fast.

Rather than trying to bolt the bench to the wall, you could always use a cleat system. That's what I've done for a lot of my cabinets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Pham Nuwen posted:

Before I could tear apart the 280ZX's transmission, I needed somewhere I could work. I finally got around to that:

If you look close it's not perfectly square but it stands without wobbling and it only cost me five 2x4x8 studs and a box of wood screws (the plywood was left by the previous owner)

Slap a piece of hardboard over the top, secured with short screws in the corner. When it gets scored badly, or soaked in oil, you can easily replace it. Protip!

• Locked thread