Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
ever since I was 4 years old and knew what it was I thought it would be cool to die in a nuclear war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Iron Prince posted:

thanks for the intel :twisted:

there is really no point in nuking Australia. They have birds that will kill them. just let them be

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

thathonkey posted:

not so much if you're pretty far out from the blast and suffer in agony from radiation poisoning instead of dying instantaneously

I own a gun. no worries

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

The Goatfather posted:

the balkans are basically guaranteed to win the next world war

by saying that you made them get hit by the first icbm

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

PokeJoe posted:

i hope they bring back the chaingun from WW2

we still use it. the only thing that has changed is we have bigger boxes for ammo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Who knows what wacky inventions humanity will be forced to create for this inevitable conflict. Hopefully we get another space race out of it, or at least a better version of the Internet.

Edit: Who am I kidding it will just be bigger bombs and better drones.

the only thing that happens in the next world war is everyone dies

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I am going to war

with who?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

The scariest part of any of the recent scenarios, at least those declassified, is that Putin is counting on the West's fear of escalating to nuclear weapons. He's hoping that he can storm into the Baltics before NATO can deploy a sizable counterforce then basically sue for peace and everyone tip-toes around it, a bit like what happened in Georgia and Ukraine.

yeah, the Russian economy has been doing great.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Decebal posted:

Germany had a weak economy a while back and thankfully that distracted them from making any trouble.

the nazis didn't have to worry about ICBMs

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

how many nukes does Russia even have left?

not many that work, the US has been the only real nuclear power in the last 25 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Okay, back home, this is Russia's nuclear arsenal and delivery systems as of 2016.

Total warheads are about 7,300 warheads and physics packages, usable or not.

Russia's ground based forces are 299 ground-based launchers, with 146 silo-based and 153 on mobile launchers, and a total of 902 warheads among them. The Russian navy maintains 13 ballistic nuclear submarines, with a total of 512 warheads among them. The Russian aviation wings have 93 Tu-22M Backfire bombers (10 warheads per plane), another 68 Tu-22M used by Naval Aviation as maritime strike bombers for use against naval targets (3 warheads per plane), 11 combat-ready Tu-160 Blackjack (12 nuclear cruise missiles per plane), and 55 combat-ready Tu-95 Bear-H bombers (can carry up to 16 nuclear cruise missiles), giving strategic bombers about 2,146 nuclear-tipped bombs and cruise missiles. That's about 3500 warheads that be used realistically in an engagement. And this isn't including the smaller aircraft, like the Su-24 or the Su-27, that can carry tac nukes or the reserves like the 10 Tu-22 that are sequestered in warehouses and bunker hangers. Half to thee-quarters of those warheads would be lost in an American first strike (ideally, most of the aircraft will be destroyed before taking off or intercepted in route), leaving the mobile launchers and subs to lie in wait for retaliation orders.

Since I'm spouting off numbers, for comparison, the Soviets had to modify a Tu-95 bomber, which has a payload capacity of 15 tons, to carry the Tsar Bomba, which weight 27 tons. They also had to lower the yield of the Tsar Bomba test, because it was capable of 100 Megatons but, at that yield, it that would also produce about as much fallout as all nuclear tests at that point, plus the fallout would have hit mainland Russia and likely destroy the bomber delivering it.

send this poo poo to DOD, you have better number than they do

• Locked thread