Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The most primitive or regressive cultures underrepresented in the most advanced settings, you say?
Well there's always the Star Trek Next Gen episode "Code of Honor" where you can watch a legit show's take on tribal Africans in space.
Later on, the show figured out how to deal with the idea of cultures that were too stupid for a space-faring race to deal with. Ignore them. Even if those cultures were about to be wiped out, the solution is to look the other way and they get Prime Directived.

Black, asian, white, whatever. You can come, but your culture stays behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Probably the best sci fi book ever written is all about Arabs and space Islam on a desert planet.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
In space, no one can hear you scream ALLLLLLLLLLAAAAAHHHHHH AAACCCKKKKKBBBARRRRRRR!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

gary oldmans diary posted:

The most primitive or regressive cultures underrepresented in the most advanced settings, you say?
Well there's always the Star Trek Next Gen episode "Code of Honor" where you can watch a legit show's take on tribal Africans in space.
Later on, the show figured out how to deal with the idea of cultures that were too stupid for a space-faring race to deal with. Ignore them. Even if those cultures were about to be wiped out, the solution is to look the other way and they get Prime Directived.

Black, asian, white, whatever. You can come, but your culture stays behind.

How's life, Aatrek?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
In space, no one can burn a US flag.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
admiral ackbar?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wikkheiser posted:

There's a lot of Persians in The Expanse.

Came here to post this.

Give the OP 10 more hours on the rack.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

staberind posted:

its usually seen as wtf prescient years later like 1984, or Dr Strangelove, we are all laughing about the 3 sea shells.

i dont get why 1984 has a rep for predicting anything its so much removed from reality that its easy to read it and disregard it as fantasy

brave new world struck me as much more like the world is now than 1984 was

i didnt know until googling just now that 1984 was written like 20 years later. i thought it was the opposite. drat.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

The Dregs posted:

How's life, Aatrek?
lmao i get it lmao star trek wow zing
sorry i havent appreciated the vast wealth of science fiction tv shows like other have

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Wikkheiser posted:

There's a lot of Persians in The Expanse.

Persians aren't Arabs you dumb poo poo.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I've never seen Brazilians in sci-fi movies or even space native americans. Hell, where are the space Filipinos?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Persians aren't Arabs you dumb poo poo.

persians get offended irl if you call them arabs lol

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Didnt the King of Jordan get a role in Star Trek?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Dr. Bashir is supposed to be Indian, they just cast an Arab guy 'cause casting directors think all brown people look the same

Slightly off-topic, but it was pretty messed up how Firefly made a big deal about how there's a lot of Chinese influence in the space-faring culture and didn't cast any Asians in important roles. It's fairly obvious that Joss Whedon wanted his characters to be able to swear on network television, so he just had everybody curse in Mandarin

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Molentik posted:

Didnt the King of Jordan get a role in Star Trek?

well a cameo since he was a big star trek fan

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Edgar posted:

I've never seen Brazilians in sci-fi movies or even space native americans.
Can't say I've knowingly seen many space brazillians either but you get some space native americans in Canadian sci fi like Stargate and Star Trek.

quote:

Hell, where are the space Filipinos?
In the space engine rooms just like irl I guess.

As to arab sci fi, try Utopia (2010), it's about an intensely bored egyptian *shakes fist* MILLENIAL in a post-oil Egypt.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
Why the hell would there be OP

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Arab movie industry doesn't make a lot of sci fi films I guess. Or at least not that you end up seeing.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Rejection of infidel (western) technologies is one of the core tenets of modern Islam. Any muslims you see in scifi shows or in high tech fields are most likely apostates.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Two words: sand people

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Edgar posted:

Hell, where are the space Filipinos?

If they're anything like the filipinos I have to work with, they got fired for being completely unable to handle menial computer janitor tasks like resetting a password in less than an hour or knowing that no, you cannot remote into a computer that isn't connecting to the network.

If there was one on the bridge crew, she probably got blown out the airlock after everyone got fed up with who she would interrupt the captain during a tense standoff to ask the Romulans where they got their shirts or refused to raise the shields because she was too busy talking about the gastrointestinal consequences she experiences eating cheese with no concept of an 'inside voice' and the ship got destroyed.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

By the way, what kind of inbred hick says "how come?"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Who in the gently caress doesn't?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Edgar posted:

I've never seen Brazilians in sci-fi movies or even space native americans. Hell, where are the space Filipinos?
In the Starship Troopers novel the protag was originally Filipino.

poo poo tons of ANIME in space has a bunch of incredibly diverse characters and I'm going to bring that spite the retards with silly hangups about anime. Gundam, Bebop, Macross, Planetes, etc

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

gary oldmans diary posted:

By the way, what kind of inbred hick says "how come?"

The usually say, "Do what now?"

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Dregs posted:

The usually say, "Do what now?"

Why for?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Pththya-lyi posted:

Dr. Bashir is supposed to be Indian, they just cast an Arab guy 'cause casting directors think all brown people look the same

Slightly off-topic, but it was pretty messed up how Firefly made a big deal about how there's a lot of Chinese influence in the space-faring culture and didn't cast any Asians in important roles. It's fairly obvious that Joss Whedon wanted his characters to be able to swear on network television, so he just had everybody curse in Mandarin

Isnt bashir an arabic name though

Absolute Lithops
Aug 28, 2011

After one long season
of waiting, after one
long season of wanting
The first Independence Day briefly shows Arabs from various countries rallying to defend the planet.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Absolute Lithops posted:

The first Independence Day briefly shows Arabs from various countries rallying to defend the planet.

They have a lot of practice shooting guns into the sky

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Prettz posted:

When you say "sci fi" I take it you strictly mean space opera bullshit, and not any old sci fi?

i think its spelled scy-fy now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I didn't read the thread but literally all of Dune

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

oldpainless posted:

If you want Arabs and Indians in movies then watch movies made in India or Saudi Arabia OP

Saudi Arabia is not even close to the most populated Arab country and also they don't have cinemas anyway :/

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

DOMDOM posted:

while wathcing halo 4 : forward unto dawn today i came to an incredible realization

there are no arabs in any future sci fi movie. nor indians. or pakistanis. malayasians. etc

what the gently caress? is the future racist?

or have we all interbred into a singular human tan color

the answer may surprise you!

technology, reason and logic are haram because every jihadist majored in engineering and realized that our actual future is just continual OS patches and fart apps for your stupid telephone

https://www.amazon.com/Engineers-Jihad-Connection-Extremism-Education/dp/0691145172/

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe just like god wouldn't create another species and the earth is the center of the universe? Never bought the new mecca poo poo from chronicles of riddick

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I haven't actually watched it but I caught like 5 minutes of the expanse and some brown people got pulled over by space cops and then they immediately decided to commit a terror. Hope that helps.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wendigee posted:

Maybe just like god wouldn't create another species and the earth is the center of the universe? Never bought the new mecca poo poo from chronicles of riddick

He did do a shitload of work creating all the things on this planet...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The expanse owns

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hey wheres your av from? Also are they making that into a Amazon tv series?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

lol

“Such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam,” the committee said. “There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death.”

The committee warned that those who participate in the “hazardous trip” will likely die for no “righteous reason,” causing them to be liable to a punishment of those who commit suicide.

hahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicomo
Jan 22, 2015
Big Bang Theory has a token Indian called Raj who loves all things Sci-Fi

• Locked thread