Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I just realized there is a costco 10 min drive away. Do you need the membership to just get in? Can you get a trial membership?

no to the latter, but because of federal law, you can just say "pharmacy" and you can go in. you can't buy anything from the checkout though without a membership but you can look around or eat food stand stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Costco does have some good deals but I feel like it's a bit overhyped in general. Winco is the main place I shop but I occasionally hit costco with the gf for stuff like detergent, toilet paper, milk, couple other staples costco typically has great deals on but whenever i compare the pricing of their meat/vegetables/fruit to winco they always come up short. Pretty much all the chicken is 10-20 cents more a pound than winco for literally the same brand, pork is even worse than that, and for poo poo like apples not only do you have to get way more at once than you'll realistically go through but the price is a wash. They do tend to be better on stuff that's usually more expensive tho, like pricier cuts of beef or salmon etc.

I think people tend to assume they must be getting a good deal cause they're buying in bulk but I've found when it comes to fresh stuff they're mostly comparable to cheaper chains like winco or yolks and often more expensive.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

OctoberBlues posted:

Can you please take pics? My day is going to be boring, I need this more than you will ever know.

please excuse some of the bad cellphone photos

medicine for your posts

you can even buy a life there!

$5 lunch, very tasty

Xaris posted:

no to the latter, but because of federal law, you can just say "pharmacy" and you can go in. you can't buy anything from the checkout though without a membership but you can look around or eat food stand stuff

I just said I was gonna browse to see if I wanted a membership and they let me in

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

God bless you Hector!

I feel like I was actually in the store!

48 packs of beer, what a world...

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

*snickers nefariously*

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Wow what a stroe

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How the hell did you know I was going to Costco today?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Costco does have some good deals but I feel like it's a bit overhyped in general. Winco is the main place I shop but I occasionally hit costco with the gf for stuff like detergent, toilet paper, milk, couple other staples costco typically has great deals on but whenever i compare the pricing of their meat/vegetables/fruit to winco they always come up short. Pretty much all the chicken is 10-20 cents more a pound than winco for literally the same brand, pork is even worse than that, and for poo poo like apples not only do you have to get way more at once than you'll realistically go through but the price is a wash. They do tend to be better on stuff that's usually more expensive tho, like pricier cuts of beef or salmon etc.

I think people tend to assume they must be getting a good deal cause they're buying in bulk but I've found when it comes to fresh stuff they're mostly comparable to cheaper chains like winco or yolks and often more expensive.

Costco sells everything at cost or at a loss. Their yearly profit margins work out to the membership fees.

I have had a few duds, but for the most part what I buy there is pretty nice quality for the money.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

You can definitely get better deals elsewhere if you pay attention to sales/coupons etc. The thing with Costco is that even if you do find a better deal elsewhere it's very rarely all that much better than the Costco price, and the Costco price will usually be significantly better than what you'd pay if you weren't comparison shopping multiple stores and taking advantage of discounts. This can be nice if you don't have the time/don't want to do that sort of shopping, since even if you're paying a small premium over the cheapest price you could find you're also guaranteed to be getting a good/competitive price on everything, and from a place with consistently good quality and a very generous return policy.

I mean my fiance and I do extensively comparison shop and are only two people, and consequently don't buy much of our food there for the reasons you've outlined, but if/when we have kids I can definitely see that changing in a hurry.

e: Plus it's nice to shop at a place where the retail workers aren't obviously hating life.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 27, 2016

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

Costco sells everything at cost or at a loss. Their yearly profit margins work out to the membership fees.

I have had a few duds, but for the most part what I buy there is pretty nice quality for the money.
And yet for a lot of stuff it's cheaper elsewhere :shrug:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What if they changed their name to Costcow and got a cow for a mascot??

This could be big, brb...

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I'm almost out of probiotics and 5-HTP, and I need more Kerry Gold butter. I think I'm down to 1 6-pack of TP so I'd better get more just to be safe. I keep eyeing the giant bag of dried blueberries. Is today the day???

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

LGD posted:

You can definitely get better deals elsewhere if you pay attention to sales/coupons etc. The thing with Costco is that even if you do find a better deal elsewhere it's very rarely all that much better than the Costco price, and the Costco price will usually be significantly better than what you'd pay if you weren't comparison shopping multiple stores and taking advantage of discounts. This can be nice if you don't have the time/don't want to do that sort of shopping, since even if you're paying a small premium over the cheapest price you could find you're also guaranteed to be getting a good/competitive price on everything, and from a place with consistently good quality and a very generous return policy.

I mean my fiance and I do extensively comparison shop and are only two people, and consequently don't buy much of our food there for the reasons you've outlined, but if/when we have kids I can definitely see that changing in a hurry.

e: Plus it's nice to shop at a place where the retail workers aren't obviously hating life.

Yeah winco is my dig for similar reasons, employee owned and consistently cheap, sometimes you can find better deals with coupons or w/e at places like albertsons but on a day to day basis yu can just buy whatever at winco and it's probably gonna be cheaper than elsewhere.

I just meant specifically I compare the non specials between winco and costco and for fresh food it's mostly cheaper at winco. Chicken is like 10-20 cents a pound cheaper, pork is like 50+, apples, potatoes, onions, etc all cheaper at winco than costco and you don't have to buy in as much bulk.

Costco is great for stuff you can stock up on like tp and detergent and they got some great deals on prepackaged stuff but if you actually like to cook with fresh ingredients it's honestly not that much cheaper than good stores like winco/yolks and comparable to typical chains (with sales/coupons).

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

The meat at Costco rules, buy a whole beef tenderloin and go hog wild

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

deadwing posted:

I do this and it's the correct thing to do. And prime sirloin caps.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

King of Bees posted:

I do this and it's the correct thing to do. And prime sirloin caps.

Do you have one of those large stand alone freezers

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

deadwing posted:

you're supposed to go hog wild with pork, idiot. i bought a giant pork loin, made NC BBQ, cut pork chops, cutlets, and still have a loin in the freezer for carnitas.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Edgar posted:

My work buys costco pizza for us worker bees every friday. It's awesome, I can polish off 5 slices within 2 hours.

I went to a LAN once where somebody polished off two entire combo pizzas in less than 48 hours. I think that ends up around 10,000 calories.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
they have fresh ceviche at my local costco

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
Trident fish sticks are the bomb. You can tell it's real fish instead of mechanically separated fish paste. They also have less breading than those bullshit Gorton and Van de Kamp fish sticks you get at the grocery store.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
is costco good? the only one i know of is like over 35 miles away. is it better then sams club?

i'm a member of sams and bj's (bj's membership is about to expire and i'm not going to renew cause bj's selection of certain stuff sucks).

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

poopnanners posted:

Trident fish sticks are the bomb. You can tell it's real fish instead of mechanically separated fish paste. They also have less breading than those bullshit Gorton and Van de Kamp fish sticks you get at the grocery store.

HAHAHAHA GAY FISH

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

KennyLoggins posted:

is costco good? the only one i know of is like over 35 miles away. is it better then sams club?

i'm a member of sams and bj's (bj's membership is about to expire and i'm not going to renew cause bj's selection of certain stuff sucks).

yes u idiot!!!!!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Do you have one of those large stand alone freezers

Yes, full sized. Plus garage fridge/freezer. Plus kitchen. :smuggo:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

King of Bees posted:

Wow, what a braggart. :rant:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

King of Bees posted:

That's what's keeping me from switching to costco. It's gonna be Aldi for now.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

OctoberBlues posted:

Wow, what a braggart. :rant:

*Nods at fridge full of seltzer and other refreshing drinks in the garage*

*Winks*

:smuggo:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gonna buy enough nutella to wrestle a couple strippers in

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Moridin920 posted:

gonna buy enough nutella to wrestle a couple strippers in

Costco is the place for you!

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Costco just got all the acuvue oaysis 2 weeks negotiated down to 95$ for a year supply , which is awesome.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

Costco is the place for you!

i also saw this MASSIVE stuffed bear the other week and I was gonna buy it and take the stuffing out and wear it like a giant bear suit but then I realized furries made that poo poo way too gay so I just kinda shook my head and moved on to the sample carts

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
Shopping at Costco is a nerve wracking experience. It starts with the parking lot of coked out Lexus driving douchecanoes fighting for the 30 spaces that aren't in a different zipcode and then once you get inside its like a rodeo extravaganza navigating through those extra big carts and hoardes of half conscious fats shopping while smartphoning behind the helms, ready to run into you on their way to the 30 muffin special at the bakery. The check out is the worst part though, its always a massive line stuck behind people buying like $500 worth of food for the week.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
or just park in the back of the lot and walk 20 seconds more like people have done for literally thousands of years

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Only Sunday is Costco Day.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
What are you going to buy at Costco today?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Keg posted:

What are you going to buy at Costco today?

I wasn't planning of going, but if you insist I could get that 64oz jar of capers.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Are the fuel pumps at costco open 24/7 or only during business hours?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

King of Bees posted:

*Nods at fridge full of seltzer and other refreshing drinks in the garage*

*Winks*

:smuggo:

Beverage fridge buddy
:classiclol::hf::cool:

Keg posted:

Only Sunday is Costco Day.

ESPECIALLY in Utah.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I'm buying the new Hector model for the sa forums, the old one is a bit stale and due for replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I have a membership but can't often shop there since I live alone in a smallish apartment with only one fridge. :(

My mom can just toss the forklift load of tp she buys there into her garage and the sides of beef into her seperate freezer. I am poor though so I can't.

Oh well. I live in SA which means that heebs are everywhere and heeb is almost as good as costco. Fresh torillas at least.

• Locked thread