Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

Costco does have some good deals but I feel like it's a bit overhyped in general. Winco is the main place I shop but I occasionally hit costco with the gf for stuff like detergent, toilet paper, milk, couple other staples costco typically has great deals on but whenever i compare the pricing of their meat/vegetables/fruit to winco they always come up short. Pretty much all the chicken is 10-20 cents more a pound than winco for literally the same brand, pork is even worse than that, and for poo poo like apples not only do you have to get way more at once than you'll realistically go through but the price is a wash. They do tend to be better on stuff that's usually more expensive tho, like pricier cuts of beef or salmon etc.

I think people tend to assume they must be getting a good deal cause they're buying in bulk but I've found when it comes to fresh stuff they're mostly comparable to cheaper chains like winco or yolks and often more expensive.

You can definitely get better deals elsewhere if you pay attention to sales/coupons etc. The thing with Costco is that even if you do find a better deal elsewhere it's very rarely all that much better than the Costco price, and the Costco price will usually be significantly better than what you'd pay if you weren't comparison shopping multiple stores and taking advantage of discounts. This can be nice if you don't have the time/don't want to do that sort of shopping, since even if you're paying a small premium over the cheapest price you could find you're also guaranteed to be getting a good/competitive price on everything, and from a place with consistently good quality and a very generous return policy.

I mean my fiance and I do extensively comparison shop and are only two people, and consequently don't buy much of our food there for the reasons you've outlined, but if/when we have kids I can definitely see that changing in a hurry.

e: Plus it's nice to shop at a place where the retail workers aren't obviously hating life.

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread