Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Scotpoll II: the Auld Dalliance

Poll the other one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

baronvonsabre posted:

Yeah, that is what I meant. And to be fair, the Tories are doing the same, they just have the decency to stab each other behind closed doors rather than in public

Closed doors? you seem to have forgotten how the UK got into this referendum in the first place :v:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Glad to see ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die is polling strong

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

tithin posted:

Closed doors? you seem to have forgotten how the UK got into this referendum in the first place :v:

Well of course, but I mean right now when it's important for a show of unity and cohesion. The Tories certainly aren't managing to do that, but Labour are doing a really good job at distracting everyone.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Blurred posted:

Wtf? How can someone be for national self-determination and independence from a larger union in one case and then oppose it in another? Like, what reasons do they have for believing that Scotland should remain in the UK that don't conflict with their reasons for the UK leaving the EU? Apart from them just being vicious, self-interested dumb cunts of course?

Because Scottish nationalism is excessive and dangerous whereas British nationalism is merely sensible.

Nigel Farage posted:

“A sensible degree of nationalism is a good, healthy thing,” Mr Farage said. “But excessive nationalism is really very dangerous, and Salmond has stirred up amongst 16 to 24-year-old Scots a kind of anti-English hatred and it’s pretty unpleasant.”

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

wtf

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I like you guys, you need to split from the shitshow that UK is.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Downing Street: Scotland doesn't need independence referendum

quote:

Scotland does not need a "divisive" second referendum on independence, according to Downing Street.

The comments were made three days after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said a second referendum was "highly likely" and is "on the table" following the EU referendum.

A spokeswoman for the Prime Minister said on Monday afternoon that the UK Government's position is Scotland does not need a second referendum on independence.

The comments were made in a briefing to journalists in Westminster.

The spokeswoman said: "The last thing that Scotland needs now is a divisive independence referendum".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
She's clearly giving the go-ahead for independence, no need for expensive formalities when the result is a given.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
They're only against a divisive second referendum, so Boris will be doing everything he can to make sure the referendum is pretty much unanimous for independence. Division averted!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Blurred posted:

Wtf? How can someone be for national self-determination and independence from a larger union in one case and then oppose it in another? Like, what reasons do they have for believing that Scotland should remain in the UK that don't conflict with their reasons for the UK leaving the EU? Apart from them just being vicious, self-interested dumb cunts of course?

Because UKIP is really more of a pinstripe BNP than it is a "libertarian self-determination party" or whatever the poo poo they pretend to call themselves. And British nationalism involves, well, being poo poo to parts of Britain that aren't (specifically the south) of England. It becomes glaringly obvious when you look at anything UKIP have said about Scotland and Scottish politics- Farage is in favour of removing the devolved government or severely limiting the level of devolution, and it was UKIP's Scottish party leader Monckton (not that they need one) who came up with the phrase "subsidy junkies"- "The Scots are subsidy junkies whingeing like a trampled bagpipe as they wait for their next fix of English taxpayers' money." They've been using anti-Scottish stereotypes to play up anger and support in the south and it's not really endeared them to anyone up here.

When Nigel came up to campaign last time, this is what happened.

He got locked in a pub in Edinburgh by protesters and had to leave in a police van because two taxis refused to take him:
(Link has video)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/may/16/nigel-farage-edinburgh-protesters-van

He came to Aberdeen, swerved to avoid the waiting protest in the city centre, but got tracked down in Bucksburn and my mate Richo got him and David Coburn with some coca cola.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...to-8665937.html

Farage got all pissy and started bitching about how terrible and nasty and violent Scottish nationalism was and how we would all be fascists if we voted Yes and then someone threw an egg at Jim Murphy and it was just the worst thing to ever happen and the SNP should be ashamed of itself and never ever campaign for independence again.

He was surprisingly silent when Jo Cox was killed though. Hmm.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Blurred posted:

Because Irony is dead

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/747026741588332544?lang=en-gb

https://twitter.com/DavidCoburnUKip/status/747018692349702144?lang=en-gb

Sion posted:

Preety sure that Pretty is spelled with two t's and one E, OP

:v: fixed and updated.

Baron Corbyn posted:

My suggestion is currently leading the polling for thread title. Is that enough to get me Scottish citizenship should you go independent?

You're smart so yes.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Don't they think meeting with representatives of a constituent nation of a larger sovereign country who hosed off to all hells is a dumb move politically?

Not really. The SNP are fully justified in what's happened and the EU having talks with us is far more progress then Britain has done with the EU.

tithin posted:

I like this one

Kind of late to the party I'm afraid.

:lol: they must be trying to keep things steady but the ship is already sinking and the lifeboats are appealing every minute.

Coohoolin posted:

Farage got all pissy and started bitching about how terrible and nasty and violent Scottish nationalism was and how we would all be fascists if we voted Yes and then someone threw an egg at Jim Murphy and it was just the worst thing to ever happen and the SNP should be ashamed of itself and never ever campaign for independence again.

Nigy Farage is a wanted man in Scotland right now.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 27, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blurred posted:

They're British Nationalists, which means they're not in favor of independence as a concept, they're in favor of British Supremacy, which means 1. Britain must be preserved, and 2. Britain shouldn't be doing anyone any favors.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Extreme0 posted:

:v: fixed and updated

it's also "undecided" op

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

:lol:

chuggo is BACK posted:

it's also "undecided" op

:suicide:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pretty sure that's in response to this:

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

The fact that it looks like the UK's flag without the scottish standard can't be a mere coincidence, right?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

The fact that it looks like the UK's flag without the scottish standard can't be a mere coincidence, right?

Yes it can. See above.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36639770?SThisFB&#38

Gibraltar's coming with.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Is Gibraltar a nice place to go for a hoilday?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Extreme0 posted:

It has monkeys.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It has monkeys.

Scottish Nationalism showing it's true racism. Shameful.

Aug 4, 2010

I thought David Cameron said something interesting today

Dave Cameron posted:

Scotland benefits from being in two single markets. In my view the best outcome is to try and keep Scotland in both.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Scottish Nationalism showing it's true racism. Shameful.

lol

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

www posted:

I thought David Cameron said something interesting today

He's wrong. The EU have stated that isn't going to happen. It's either Scotland-EU or Scotland-UK.

Aug 4, 2010

Who in the EU said that?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

How glad am I my UK citizenship stems from Scottish parents.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

www posted:

Who in the EU said that?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-scotland-commission-idUSKCN0ZB0LQ

quote:

The European Commission said on Saturday Scotland was part of the United Kingdom and declined to "speculate further" after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon called for talks with the European Union to keep Scotland in the bloc.

"Scotland is part of the UK," a Commission spokeswoman told Reuters. "Constitutional arrangements apply. We will not speculate further."

Sturgeon said Scotland would prepare for a possible fresh independence vote after Britain voted to leave the 28-nation EU on Friday. Scots voted heavily in favor of staying in.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Yes we get it Nikola, you need Scotland to be independent to join the EU. You can stop the show.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It has monkeys.

Only 823 of them.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I am staking my claim to retain my position as third top poster in Scotpol (behind the luminaries that are Pissflaps and Coohoolin, that is truly an honour to be proud of)

Gibraltar is nice. It feels like the UK with way way better weather. It still has things like M&S, and then the rest is duty free shops and military.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Yes we get it Nikola, you need Scotland to be independent to join the EU. You can stop the show.

Nah she needs to demonstrate to the voters that she has tried every conceivable method of keeping Scotland in both the UK and EU. The reality is though that independence will be required, and so hopefully Westminster will continue to display the current level of competence and leadership for the next few months until that can happen.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Yes, because what an independent Scotland really needs is another way to piss off Spain

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Indyref II: Electoral Toodle-oo

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

Nah she needs to demonstrate to the voters that she has tried every conceivable method of keeping Scotland in both the UK and EU. The reality is though that independence will be required, and so hopefully Westminster will continue to display the current level of competence and leadership for the next few months until that can happen.

If there was some magical way of still staying in the UK while getting the benefits of the EU then I'd argue it'd still be in Nicola's interests to take it. An indyref right now is still going to be a bit of a risk, the SNP have barely had time to rebuild their case after the last one. I think independence is going to end up the least worst option that's actually on the table, though, that's my Forums Poster Prediction

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I shall put the motion that Scotland should replace it's flag with a saltire made up of two middle fingers.

You can even use your own middle fingers to make the flag. It's perfect.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
How likely is it that the First Minister will make good on her comments about having the Scottish Parliament block a UK Brexit? How likely or possible is this? Also, where do the SNP MPs in Westminster stand? Has there been any talk of SNP MPs linking up with sympathetic remainers from the Labour, Green, Lib Dem, Plaid and (a few) Conservative benches? Also, how easy do you think it would be for an English Electrician (With other associated electrical qualifications including a HND in Electrical Engineering) to find work in the Electrical/Electronics/Telecoms sector in Scotland?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!
Grimey Drawer

Extreme0 posted:

I've been there once and it was quite nice. Yes it has monkeys which are always cool. It was a bit like a sunny UK tbh only the people were much nicer. I had an idea they'd all be lovely snobby expats but it didn't seem that way at all. Basically it's the med only you can shop at Morrisons and it has monkeys.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lord_Adonis posted:

How likely is it that the First Minister will make good on her comments about having the Scottish Parliament block a UK Brexit? How likely or possible is this? Also, where do the SNP MPs in Westminster stand? Has there been any talk of SNP MPs linking up with sympathetic remainers from the Labour, Green, Lib Dem, Plaid and (a few) Conservative benches? Also, how easy do you think it would be for an English Electrician (With other associated electrical qualifications including a HND in Electrical Engineering) to find work in the Electrical/Electronics/Telecoms sector in Scotland?

I don't know this guys background, but he seems to believe that they actually don't have the authority to veto, but not to provide its consent, which Westminister would like but technically doesn't require

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2016/06/26/brexit-can-scotland-block-brexit/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PeterMueller9/status/747728783311015939

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/747729114828779521

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 28, 2016