Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baronvonsabre posted:

Goddamn, I didn't realise it was that bad for Wales.

If you think the central belt got destroyed by Thatcher, well, formerly industrial Wales got it at least as bad and has had a fraction of the recovery. The Valleys have really been forgotten, in that sense I can understand why they probably viewed voting to leave the EU as bloodying the nose of the establishment. If only because the case for the EU was made so abysmally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

forkboy84 posted:

If you think the central belt got destroyed by Thatcher, well, formerly industrial Wales got it at least as bad and has had a fraction of the recovery. The Valleys have really been forgotten, in that sense I can understand why they probably viewed voting to leave the EU as bloodying the nose of the establishment. If only because the case for the EU was made so abysmally.

you could make as good a case as you want but for the last 10 years the drum of 'immigrants and the EU are bad we agree' has been beaten by politicians, while they've never actually done anything to address why these things might be bad. This entire loving thing is an abject lesson in why we have a representative democracy rather than a referendum based one.

It should also be a good loving lesson about why particular elements of traditional rhetoric should be no longer acceptable.

but lol it's all because of racism

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Stuff like this just makes me sad about Wales and the state of it. We should be really loving angry at the British government but instead we just meekly follow English nationalists like lambs to the slaughter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baronvonsabre posted:

Goddamn, I didn't realise it was that bad for Wales.

Wales got shagged harder than their sheep. When people were bandying about the figures for % of average per person contribution to claim that Scotland was net wealthier than the UK, the Welsh figures came with. I believe it was 78%. You can talk about the lies on immigration and the NHS and everything else all you want, but the single lie that Westminster would keep paying the EU's subsidies to Wales and Cornwall swung the referendum. Without that the two regions would have been harder to Remain than Scotland.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Baron Corbyn posted:

Stuff like this just makes me sad about Wales and the state of it. We should be really loving angry at the British government but instead we just meekly follow English nationalists like lambs to the slaughter.

That's the thing though. People were angry at the British government but rather than get a viable alternative the only one that was there was... this.

Jedit posted:

Wales got shagged harder than their sheep. When people were bandying about the figures for % of average per person contribution to claim that Scotland was net wealthier than the UK, the Welsh figures came with. I believe it was 78%. You can talk about the lies on immigration and the NHS and everything else all you want, but the single lie that Westminster would keep paying the EU's subsidies to Wales and Cornwall swung the referendum. Without that the two regions would have been harder to Remain than Scotland.

When someone in Aberdeen is making sheep shagger jokes holy gently caress

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

IceAgeComing posted:

I thought that we'd done the whole Euro thing to death last time? Although Euro membership is technically compulsory, ERMII membership isn't and that's one of the conditions for Euro accession. You just refuse to join or say that you'll put it to a referendum when the time is right, that's the approach of the Swedes and the best way of going about it.

Not really 'done to death' when your post still doesn't resolve the question of what currency would be used.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sion posted:

This seems pretty alarmist. Is it not too early to say 'well, this poo poo is non-recoverable'

Eh, maybe. I'm not sure the EU would be happy if our currency was still in Pounds which is also the currency of a non-EU member though. I think if we were to join the EU, we'd have to either switch to Euro or adopt our own currency.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Also sounds like somebody talked some sense into Tusk about playing along with Sturgeon's 'talks'.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Direct Democracy is a good thing...IF

information wasn't beaten to death, that we have excellent education, that the media and the press doesn't lie and is punished for endorsing anything that is biased spun or made up and that our society is a equal.

Naturally we don't have any of that and hence the result happended :v: Pretty much proving direct Democracy isn't a good idea for now

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Eh, maybe. I'm not sure the EU would be happy if our currency was still in Pounds which is also the currency of a non-EU member though. I think if we were to join the EU, we'd have to either switch to Euro or adopt our own currency.

Ooh can we chat about what to call our new currency?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Coohoolin posted:

Nvm independence is a bad idea.

Aug 4, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Also sounds like somebody talked some sense into Tusk about playing along with Sturgeon's 'talks'.

its smart tbh he said that he doesnt think the time is right. And until "article 50" is triggered is there really anything to talk about? EU cant be seen to mess around with the internal politics of the UK while there is still a chance of the whole thing not even happening imo

www fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2016

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sturgeon's EU superhero team has been announced

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 28, 2016

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I only recognise three names there - the MEPs and Muscatelli, who IIRC everyone hates?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

Bitcoin, duh. Or Scotcoin.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Your new currency still says sterling.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Pissflaps posted:

It's legal tender mate.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Yea that's why I'm against it. No way we are going to have representation of a poo poo footballer and his team owned by Iceland.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Just scribble the E into an I.

(When I was wee I always thought Sterling was a spelling mistake. Stirlo-centricism at its finest)

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Extreme0 posted:

Yea that's why I'm against it. No way we are going to have representation of a poo poo footballer and his team owned by Iceland.

He didn't vote in the referendum.

Couldn't get a cross in the box!

hehehe

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
i still think that it actually is one

Acaila posted:

I only recognise three names there - the MEPs and Muscatelli, who IIRC everyone hates?

yeah everyone does; although I've forgotten why

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Acaila posted:

I don't know about the wider world, but Muscatelli is pretty despised within the University by everyone I know who isn't in upper management (granted, this isn't exactly comprehensive).

Not sure about the others, but John Kay is a very well-regarded economist and regular FT columnist. I'm not 100% sure, but he may also have been a part of Salmond's much-hyped but essentially pointless economic advisor think tank thing.

EDIT:

IceAgeComing posted:

yeah everyone does; although I've forgotten why

Within the university it's largely to do with the huge opposition to the restructuring that's gone on, a sense amongst academics that upper management really don't give a poo poo about teaching or students except as a source of income, and a long-running (and still ongoing) dispute about pay and conditions. There's been several bouts of strike action over the last 3 years or so, with the current aims being:

quote:

address the 14.9% loss in pay versus inflation since 2009
agree to eliminate the unfair gender pay gap among staff; and
stop the proliferation of casual, insecure contracts.

Niric fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 28, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pissflaps posted:

I choose to read that as "stealing".

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Thread title suggestion: "It's just like one of my Scottish Sci-Fi's!" :scotland:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Xerxes17 posted:

Thread title suggestion: "It's just like one of my Scottish Sci-Fi's!" :scotland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6zcir-IFdM

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

loving hell, Chewin' the Fat is even worse than I remembered.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Niric posted:

loving hell, Chewin' the Fat is even worse than I remembered.

It's why I prefer Still Game.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Acaila posted:

Who hates Vito Antonio "Banton" Muscatelli? everyone

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/747902570706907138?lang=en-gb

https://twitter.com/GlasgowMurphy/status/747887748728623104

I am never dissapointed with Ross Greer.

TheHoodedClaw
Jul 26, 2008

Acaila posted:

Lord Kerr used to be head of the Diplomatic Service, and he's about the most establishment person there is, or is possible to be. His wiki entry is an interesting read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerr,_Baron_Kerr_of_Kinlochard . The Trilateral Commission, Bilderbergs, Rio Tinto and Royal Dutch Shell, on top of the FCO work! But, a useful ally, perhaps, with the usual caveats about long-spoon supping.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/748151925938524160

I'm in "Don't know"

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

You know, I might be a don't know too.
I want to be sure we can win it. But equally waiting too long allows passion to dissipate, and potentially time for Tories down south to get their acts together (I know, I know). But I do want one. And I do want out of this island full of racists :(.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I wish there could be a way of having a referendum without the campaigning - the two sides just lay out dispassionate statements of facts (or as close as can be possible to facts) then they just shut up and direct people to it. It would possibly end up with the same effect anyway and save lots of money and sanity.

I know that's not going to happen but the thought of another 6 months of people screaming Liar! and Fearmongerer! at each other fills me with dread.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
the late Hitch would be having tremendous fun with all this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QYaDxgWc-Y

I don't disagree with him, it's just his criticisms now bizarrely apply ten-fold south of the border

because let's face it, actually laying the track to allow the british public to vote themselves out of the EU would be insane. it's a false issue. it just won't happen.

Good luck scotland, I am confident that shattering the UK to pieces is the right and good thing to do.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Surprisingly low.

The SNP has failed to seize the initiative. An unexpectedly dropped ball.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

Surprisingly low.

It's not fair to say that the SNP has failed to seize the initiative. Nicola Sturgeon appears to be the only party leader actually trying to forge a path through this mess for her party and country rather than running in circles and/or failing to take responsibility for the vote.

There's no dropped ball - if Scots don't want another referendum then that's their prerogative, but not a reflection on SNP activity post Brexit result.

Edit: Besides taking out the people without opinion, that's a 53:47 result for independence which isn't too shabby compared to the last time round.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 29, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Her 'path' seems to consist of wasting everyone's time in Brussels?

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...
I do wonder what you would have done differently in Sturgeon's position, pissflaps.

Nicola is taking the correct approach, exhausting all options in order to build a long-term case for independence. If she didn't go to the EU then she would have been (rightly) harangued by the press for not trying to secure a deal within the UK. As it stands, she is repeatedly being cited as one of the only politicians in the UK that seems to know what they are doing.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Leggsy posted:

I do wonder what you would have done differently in Sturgeon's position, pissflaps.

Well, in Sturgeon's position my focus wouldn't be:

quote:

exhausting all options in order to build a long-term case for independence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pissflaps posted:

Surprisingly low.

Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet and there's the possibility of a Scottish veto, until those are initiated and exhausted people will probably still favor the status quo.