Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

As in, Scotland is overwhelmingly white british. I think about 94%

While this hardly precludes the commission of hate crimes it does mean that you'll have to work about 3 times as hard to find someone to do a hate crime on than in England.
Oh, right, forgot just how white and British Scotland apparently is. I figured it was relatively close to Denmark in that regard, but apparently we're a multicultural haven in comparison, with only 89% people of Danish origin. (Meaning at least one parent born in Denmark with a Danish citizenship.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

keep punching joe posted:

The area of Glasgow is probably a majority population of new Scots and the only hate crimes I've witnessed are yoons who don't event live here moaning about it on social media.

I'm just guessing they're yoons based on the high number of Rangers based avatars.

Careful now, that might be construed as sectarian bigotry.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

baronvonsabre posted:

I presume that's from the European and External Relations Committee this morning. Didn't watch it myself, but the report will be available from 6pm today apparently. The panel of experts discussion doesn't appear to be up on the Scottish Parliament YouTube account yet, only the first part with Fiona Hyslop

You can watch meetings live or immediately afterwards on Parliament TV, they take a little while to get uploaded to Youtube after that.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That may also be as a result of Scotland being 95% white.

Well, yes and no. If we were just comparing raw total number of hate crimes occurring between Scotland and England then of course Scottish numbers are lower for that reason. However, this is about a proportional increase in reported hate crimes, so population size and the proportion of which are ethnic minorities don't really come into it, since it normalises those factors to a significant degree. Demographics probably do still have influence, but if the referendum was causing an increase in hate crime incidence in Scotland, we would expect that it would be clear that it was increasing here as well (though probably by less than what it has in England), rather than apparently not changing at all.

EDIT: thanks for the link. Parliament.tv has the full video in one part, and the second half with the Expert Panel is now on YouTube

baronvonsabre fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 30, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Basically Brexit happened and a lot of people took that as a starting gun to kick off some ethnic cleansing and coincidentally the only people doing so were in England.

Although a friend of mine did get yelled at to get out walking back home so I'm sure there's a slight increase, just not statistically relevant.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

baronvonsabre posted:

Police Scotland: No rise in hate crime in Scotland since Brexit

As they say, this doesn't mean that hate crimes aren't rising as well in Scotland, but it is at least something that it appears that there hasn't been the same drastic rise as has been reported in England.

While this is something, it's still a pretty bleak time to be someone with dark skin or a foreign accent. My mother works at a Primary School in the in the village I grew up in & she was telling me that a young family are going back to Poland. They've not had any abuse but they are absolutely terrified of it happening and so just don't feel comfortable staying here.

It's grim.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I keep having to remind idiots that my dad was an immigrant, whereupon they trot out "not that kind of immigrant". Even in fairly multicultural Aberdeen there are unwitting xenophobes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Chas McGill posted:

I keep having to remind idiots that my dad was an immigrant, whereupon they trot out "not that kind of immigrant". Even in fairly multicultural Aberdeen there are unwitting xenophobes.

Does Aberdeen still have a fairly sizeable National Front presence? I lived there about 10 years ago and remember being shocked by the amount of NF and swastika graffiti around the place.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Does Aberdeen still have a fairly sizeable National Front presence? I lived there about 10 years ago and remember being shocked by the amount of NF and swastika graffiti around the place.

I've had flyers from them a couple of times around elections, but I couldn't really say if they have any more presence than that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Not that I've seen - I've actually noticed quite a few anti nazi stickers on traffic lights and like. I live right in the centre though, so other areas may be different.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

As in, Scotland is overwhelmingly white british. I think about 94%

my sister (and I) are white british, it didn't stop a glasgow cab driver for cussing her out today for being able to vote because we have canadian accents.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

CoolCab posted:

my sister (and I) are white british, it didn't stop a glasgow cab driver for cussing her out today for being able to vote because we have canadian accents.
loving taxi drivers - the guy who took me to the airport the other day trotted out the £350m figure...

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Extreme0 posted:

Lol Labour getting hosed again and the Greens taking a wave of support.

The Greens always seem to get six extra points or so whenever there's not about to be an election

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Davey McDonald and his ilk get shouted down by our active and on point antifa branch whenever they even try and breath a bit louder. Not that much graffiti as far as I've seen.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

baronvonsabre posted:

I presume that's from the European and External Relations Committee this morning. Didn't watch it myself, but the report will be available from 6pm today apparently. The panel of experts discussion doesn't appear to be up on the Scottish Parliament YouTube account yet, only the first part with Fiona Hyslop
The report is a good read: http://www.parliament.scot/parliamentarybusiness/report.aspx?r=10487

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013
I think immigrants get an easy ride in Scotland primarily because when Scots need someone to blame all their problems on, there's a much more obvious candidate (Westminster). Secessionist movements, seeing themselves as the underdogs, tend to be unusually left-wing and unusually not-racist. In Scotland specifically, left-wing rhetoric and multiculturalism has also become a way of distinguishing the country's identity from that of England and the hated Tories.

I suspect Scotland will start shifting to the right on all sorts of questions when you secure independence and stop defining your culture partly as a negative of England's - immigration being foremost among them. There's almost no Western European country where anti-immigrant sentiment isn't a big issue, and I can't see why Scotland would be any different when it gets control of its own borders.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Unless an independent Scotland chose to mirror Brexit UK's immigration policy rather than have a hard border between the two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chas McGill posted:

Not that I've seen - I've actually noticed quite a few anti nazi stickers on traffic lights and like. I live right in the centre though, so other areas may be different.

You've not been down the beach, then, where "POLES OUT" is scrawled on the walls faster than it can be scrubbed off.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Pissflaps posted:

Unless an independent Scotland chose to mirror Brexit UK's immigration policy rather than have a hard border between the two.

Which depends if the UK joins the EEA or not.

Jedit posted:

You've not been down the beach, then, where "POLES OUT" is scrawled on the walls faster than it can be scrubbed off.

I didn't realise that Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire were home to more Nazi scum then I thought. :stare:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

If all of Pages 6, 7, 8 , 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 is just laughing and making a mockery of Boris Johnson then I might have to buy the Daily Record for the first time.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/14591154.Ex_Nasdaq_traders_bid_to_launch_new_stock_exchange_in_Scotland_by_2017/

Ex-Nasdaq traders bid to launch new stock exchange in Scotland by 2017

quote:

Scotland could have its own stock exchange again by 2017, more than 40 years after the Glasgow stock exchange ceased trading

PLANS have been unveiled to launch a new independent stock exchange in Scotland, more than 40 years after the country's last trading floor closed down.

Scotex will be based in Edinburgh, the UK's second largest centre for financial services and the fourth largest in Europe, but trading will be done via an electronic exchange.

The venture is understood to be the brainchild of a team of former Nasdaq traders, a US stock exchange and the second largest in the world. It will be set up in collaboration with Scots investors.

They are aiming to launch Scotex in the first quarter of 2017, pending the outcome of an application to the Financial Conduct Authority.

A statement on the Scotex website said the move had been spurred by recent political developments and by predictions that Scotland will become independent from the rest of the UK by 2019.

It said: "Recent developments in the UK promise to totally transform the UK capital markets landscape. A new political reality requires a new capital market for Scotland.

"Scotex is a new and innovative stock exchange that will offer capital markets access for the next generation of scientists, inventors and entrepreneurs of Scotland.

"It is crucial for Scotland that its wealth creators – now and in the future – have a visible equity capital market that is able to provide them with access to the capital they need to grow their companies."

Glasgow's last trading floor, the Glasgow stock exchange, closed down in 1973 after 129 years.

Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen also boasted their own stock exchanges at one time, but like the rest of the UK's trading floors, all were merged to create the London Stock Exchange (LSE), which has gone on to become one of the world's most important markets.

Scotex said it will create a "Scots-50" index to rank Scotland's leading listed companies, and that English, Welsh and Irish companies can also apply to join Scotex.

Shares in London Stock Exchange companies would also trade on Scotex.

A spokesman for Scotex said: "We are delighted to be going public with their plans for the new exchange. This is an important moment in the history of capital markets in Scotland.

"It is incredible to think that just over 50 years ago Scotland had four stock exchanges and since the merger with the LSE in 1973 - none.

"We hope we’ll be able to put that right and get the access to equity capital markets that the industrious and inventive people of Scotland deserve."

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Jedit posted:

Yeah , I did :stare: in real life first time I went for a walk on the beach and saw all that poo poo

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
As someone from Aberdeen who now lives in Glasgow it's always nice to go back and see the Nazi graffiti. The stuff we get down here is sectarian and uses slang nobody else can understand, which somewhat defeats the point in my opinion.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I'm very disappointed they didn't ape GTAV and call it BAWSAQ

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jre posted:

Yeah , I did :stare: in real life first time I went for a walk on the beach and saw all that poo poo

Why the beaches? Is that where they think all the dastardly poles enter the country, rather than y'know, walking straight through an airport terminal like they've been legally entitled to for some time now

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
For all the talk of 'leaving the failing union' you'd think the EU wasn't also on a similar precipice. There's a very good chance the EU looks very different than it does right now in just a couple years time-- even if they all hate brexit no-one in the EU can agree on exactly what the solution is or even the near term path forward. It's been some time coming but this is probably the beginnings of the actual crash.

It simply isn't viable in it's current form because the point of the shared currency was to bring about full political unification. That's failed completely and as such the current state of affairs cannot last, they need to move back to a much looser structure because of it. The UK needs the EU, but the EU needs the UK nearly as badly and a lot of people seem to have missed that part.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

Why the beaches? Is that where they think all the dastardly poles enter the country, rather than y'know, walking straight through an airport terminal like they've been legally entitled to for some time now

No, it's for the much more prosaic reason that fascists and racists are cowards. They do their scrawling down at the beach because they can go there at 2am without fear that anyone will see who is doing it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

No, it's for the much more prosaic reason that fascists and racists are cowards. They do their scrawling down at the beach because they can go there at 2am without fear that anyone will see who is doing it.

I guess we'll just have to fight them on the beaches then.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

PiCroft posted:

well that's what it's called now

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

For all the talk of 'leaving the failing union' you'd think the EU wasn't also on a similar precipice. There's a very good chance the EU looks very different than it does right now in just a couple years time-- even if they all hate brexit no-one in the EU can agree on exactly what the solution is or even the near term path forward. It's been some time coming but this is probably the beginnings of the actual crash.

It simply isn't viable in it's current form because the point of the shared currency was to bring about full political unification. That's failed completely and as such the current state of affairs cannot last, they need to move back to a much looser structure because of it. The UK needs the EU, but the EU needs the UK nearly as badly and a lot of people seem to have missed that part.

Counterpoint: while the UK was in the EU had to deal with a shitload more special interest bullshit. Now it's not completely hamstrung by tantrum-throwing crybabies on some rainy Atlantic island blocking everything anymore

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

blowfish posted:

Counterpoint: while the UK was in the EU had to deal with a shitload more special interest bullshit. Now it's not completely hamstrung by tantrum-throwing crybabies on some rainy Atlantic island blocking everything anymore

Having a state that represented the concerns of euroskeptics was a very good thing for Europe.

If you look at the mood in Western Europe and think ' now's the time to push for deeper integration', you're an idiot. Euroskeptic movements in France and Holland will eat Brussels alive if they try that. But they'll do it anyway because they're really stupid.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

I guess we'll just have to fight them on the beaches then.

:thumbsup:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

baronvonsabre posted:

Police Scotland: No rise in hate crime in Scotland since Brexit

As they say, this doesn't mean that hate crimes aren't rising as well in Scotland, but it is at least something that it appears that there hasn't been the same drastic rise as has been reported in England.

Dorset police said they've had no reported rise either. Seems to be localised to certain areas.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

PiCroft posted:

I worked on GTA 4 and there are so many dumb, wee Scottish jokes in it. There's a Greek take out joint on one of the islands called Gyro Day.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Dorset police said they've had no reported rise either. Seems to be localised to certain areas.

That's very interesting, given that Dorset was such a strong area for Leave.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Whiteness doesn't seem to stop it tbh. A friend of mine got told to gently caress off back to Poland, he presumes for the crime of glancing too long at the Polish section in Tesco. (and this was in Leith, not England)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some good news as Martin Kitts-Hayes, the defector who handed Aberdeenshire Council to the SNP in exchange for the deputy leadership, is being sent before the Ethics tribunal after walking out on a conference in Denmark and using taxpayers money to fly home because he didn't like the hotel. Whether or not they do anything is to be seen, but at least the SNP voted to get rid of their useful idiot.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Going to update the list again. Got some new entries like MEP David Martin, Former MSP Malcolm Chisholm and Kevin McKenna.

But right now...the News!

http://www.euractiv.com/section/uk-europe/video/commission-says-scotlands-eu-future-is-up-to-uk/

quote:

An independent Scotland could be part of the EU after Brexit without re-applying for membership if London and Edinburgh were to agree, EU officials have said.

European Commission spokesperson Margaritis Schinas said that the Commission respected the results in Scotland of Britain’s referendum, where a majority of voters supported to remain part of the Union.

The vote to Leave has led to calls for a second Scottish independence referendum. First Minister Nicola Sturgeon toured the Commission and EU Parliament yesterday in a bid to drum up support in Brussels.

Schinas said that Scotland’s bid to remain in the EU “is an issue that pertains to the constitutional order of the United Kingdom and will have to be dealt with this context”.

Officials later suggested a deal could be made but only if London and Edinburgh agreed it between themselves first.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/8725/barry-graham-peculiar-movement-yess-nos

I don't seem to understand this mindset. If you voted Yes the last time when Scotland was going to have an issue with EU membership then why the gently caress are you voting No now unless you really hate the EU more then anything else. I mean I can understand why people don't like the EU but why did they vote Yes the last time when a majority of Scots would of wanted Scotland in the EU anyways? Is there hatred so far for the EU that they were willing to burn a bridge with the UK just to spite the EU? Makes no sense... :psyduck:

Also is this accuate?

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/748800981844975618

Sion posted:

I worked on GTA 4 and there are so many dumb, wee Scottish jokes in it. There's a Greek take out joint on one of the islands called Gyro Day.

It's why I love the GTA Series. There is so many scottish references to things that I can get instantly that others have to look up.

Acaila posted:

Whiteness doesn't seem to stop it tbh. A friend of mine got told to gently caress off back to Poland, he presumes for the crime of glancing too long at the Polish section in Tesco. (and this was in Leith, not England)

Agreed. My friend before the Referendum was asked if he was Polish or not and said no. The guy asked if he was Scottish which he was and then he just went in a gleeful laugh and smile while shakeing his hand. I didn't think much of it as the guy did seem drunk but now after the referendum. I'm actually worried this is going to be a mindset that needs to be sorted soon enough if it continues.

I'm wondering if it's associated more with stench unionists or stench zoomers. It doesn't make much sense for the latter considering like everyone says the main target is Westminister and Tories which is very easy for everyone regardless of ethnic origin to agree on but I'm willing to believe there are nationalists who are both anti-EU and anti-UK that for some reason hate the polish? I don't know just dosen't sound right. I can understand it more from the likes of some rear end in a top hat Ranger fans and loyalists as they tend to target anyone I've noticed that isn't up to their standard plus kippers as well but Scottish separatists? I mean it's true in some regard that there will be a bunch of racists on both sides but i don't think they would be a big number in the Yes side let alone any side.

Then again Racists don't tend to need reason to hate someone :v:

Jedit posted:

Some good news as Martin Kitts-Hayes, the defector who handed Aberdeenshire Council to the SNP in exchange for the deputy leadership, is being sent before the Ethics tribunal after walking out on a conference in Denmark and using taxpayers money to fly home because he didn't like the hotel. Whether or not they do anything is to be seen, but at least the SNP voted to get rid of their useful idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Imo there shouldn't be anyone on the council with a double barreled name anyway