Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Extreme0 posted:

I'm wondering if it's associated more with stench unionists or stench zoomers.

Do you mean "staunch"? Not that the other word doesn't fit both parties, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Jedit posted:

Do you mean "staunch"? Not that the other word doesn't fit both parties, but still.

I always thought it was stench for some reason. I never even questioned it till now.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Slovak leader (Robert Fico, next EU president) promises help with velvet divorce

quote:

The European Union’s next president has offered to help broker the divorce between Scotland and the rest of the UK should voters elect to dissolve the Union over disagreement on Brexit.

Robert Fico, the prime minister of Slovakia, who is due to take over the EU’s rotating presidency on Monday, said his diplomats would help to negotiate an amicable separation modelled on the so-called velvet divorce that resulted in the break up of Czechoslovakia in 1993 if Scotland decides to leave the UK in order to stay in the EU.

Looks like "we want you to join the EU and we'll make it easy for you, but you have to be an independent country" is definitely the narrative the EU are going for.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lets be independent and stay in the EU, my partner's career depends on it and she can make so much more than I ever will.

Please pretty please.

EDIT: She's actually a No to Yes because of this referendum loving up her plans.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

https://twitter.com/mjkeatings/status/748558601124450304

Anyways I can't find the article from that newspaper so take with a hint of salt.

baronvonsabre posted:

Slovak leader (Robert Fico, next EU president) promises help with velvet divorce

Looks like "we want you to join the EU and we'll make it easy for you, but you have to be an independent country" is definitely the narrative the EU are going for.

Yea I think this is the narrative that many were expecting and it's preety much comfirmed. Also wasn't Slovkia in the EU chamber supportive of us just recently?

At this rate Scotland is going to win the Eurovision contest no problem and the UK is going to be last place. If that happens I'm going to get a bottle of lube and a live viewing of social media having a meltdown :munch:

keep punching joe posted:

Lets be independent and stay in the EU, my partner's career depends on it and she can make so much more than I ever will.

EDIT: She's actually a No to Yes because of this referendum loving up her plans.

This is also going to be another sticking point that this stupid referendum has done. People that rely on moving freely and the implications of business and careers on the EU is going to get hosed and I'm honestly pissed off that some of my friends from Europe are going to be affected by this poo poo because they can't move freely now nor is it going to be easy to do postage for them when I send them stuff.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm trying to imagine how comically bad a Scottish Eurovision song would be.

It'd just be Runrig, wouldn't?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
This is literally what I suggested in the Europol thread. What a sensible people, those Belgians, assuming it's true.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I'm trying to imagine how comically bad a Scottish Eurovision song would be.

It'd just be Runrig, wouldn't?

Do what Finland did and pull a lordi. It should be Alestorm.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

You are all proving yourselves to be No True Scotsmen if you don't know full well that this will be Scotland's entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_-Bjt30PU

Also lol bless at stench. I thought it was a crack at the crazies!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Do what Finland did and pull a lordi. It should be Alestorm.

I'm sure I've said this before, but oh my god Alestorm are one of the very worst bands I've ever seen live. Horrible. And all their goofy fans dressed as loving pirates. Heavy metal is serious business, stop having fun!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They aren't terribly good recorded either.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Alestorm is the best thing to come out of Scotland and you know it :colbert: Yes, above even Gloryhammer.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I'm sure I've said this before, but oh my god Alestorm are one of the very worst bands I've ever seen live. Horrible. And all their goofy fans dressed as loving pirates. Heavy metal is serious business, stop having fun!

Right.

So why is this bad for a eurovision entry?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I have to confess that I actually quite like Runrig. I think it's like the law if you grew up in the Highlands in the 90s?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Acaila posted:

I have to confess that I actually quite like Runrig. I think it's like the law if you grew up in the Highlands in the 90s?

I like Runrig, I've seen them live six or seven times down the years and still have an ancient t-shirt from the 1991 Festival Tour I think. The albums after Donnie Munro left weren't as good, but I was still kind of sad to hear they were hanging it up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Alestorm is the best thing to come out of Scotland and you know it :colbert: Yes, above even Gloryhammer.

They get full marks for effort but I've never heard anything by them that I'd actually listen to.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Mogwai are the best musical thing to come out of Scotland. Indisputably. (Feel free to dispute it though, I'm being hyperbolic, in case that needs to be said) As for the best thing full stop? It's tablet.

Extreme0 posted:

Right.

So why is this bad for a eurovision entry?

Because it would remind me that I paid money to go to see Alestorm, & I try to forget that, even if it was just to see the support band. Because I still saw them. And the terrible Christian power metal band who opened. Don't scratch a healing scab or something.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm not sure Mogwai would go down particularly well at Eurovision, though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

I'm not sure Mogwai would go down particularly well at Eurovision, though

Bet they would. Just 4 guys on a stage playing some good music. Maybe a couple of strobe light effects. It'd be wonderful, they'd get max points from everyone except England, & the French who are mad the song wasn't sung in French. Despite being an instrumental.

I fully concede that I may not be fully connected to the views of the average Eurovision viewer though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Isn't vocal performance one of the criteria judges have to consider? I guess if you don't sing anything then you technically haven't hosed up the vocals any. Wikipedia says "No entirely instrumental composition has ever been allowed in Eurovision contests." but I'm not sure if that's just because nobody's ever been stupid enough to try.

I will admit that part of me wants to see Mogwai subjecting people to With Portfolio for three minutes while Europe gazes on in horror, but then I hate seeing anyone enjoy themselves so

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think Alestorm are the Scottish equivalent of the Dropkick Murphys. This is not a compliment.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Clearly the answer is to send the Proclaimers every year and win for all eternity.

Also Alestorm are boring, there's far better bands to come out of Scotland.

Jedit posted:

I think Alestorm are the Scottish equivalent of the Dropkick Murphys. This is not a compliment.

gently caress off, the Dropkick Murphys are ace.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Belle and Sebastian are the obvious choice

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Are Idlewild still alive?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Jedit posted:

I like Runrig, I've seen them live six or seven times down the years and still have an ancient t-shirt from the 1991 Festival Tour I think. The albums after Donnie Munro left weren't as good, but I was still kind of sad to hear they were hanging it up.

My first proper attendance at anything political (as opposed to being babysat at bakesales or running around some politician's house while the grownups talked) was at Donnie Munro's campaign launch for challenging Charles Kennedy back in the day.

I looked into going to see them at the Black Isle showground the other year, but tickets were super expensive. I do regret that a wee bit in hindsight, but I was saving up for uni and if the tickets had been 20 quid instead of 40 I'd totally have gone.

Also, Dropkick Murphys are awesome.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...4b0b320cf128772

quote:

Michael Gove’s clear hint that he could scrap the Barnett formula, the Treasury system which fixes Scotland’s budget, and change the fiscal framework under the Scotland Act has brought a furious response from the Scottish National party.

Mike Russell, a long-serving Scottish government minister and now convenor of Holyrood’s finance committee, has accused Gove of threatening to rip up a deal only recently signed by the UK government, to guarantee a fair funding deal for Holyrood to underpin Scotland’s new tax raising powers.

That deal, the fiscal framework, was agreed in February after some intense and bitter negotiating between the two governments, where the deal came to the brink of collapse.

“It’s absolutely outrageous that a prospective prime minister is now using a Leave vote to imply that Scotland’s budget could be slashed – just months after the Tories agreed a new financial settlement for Scotland,” Russell said.

At his Tory leadership campaign launch, Gove said he saw the Brexit vote as a “chance to renew and reboot the union. I think we need to explore how we can develop a fairly funded, flexible and robust union for our new circumstances – and I will work across political divides, with respect, to build that new union.”

Despite’s Gove pledge to work “across political divides” on any new deal, his implied threat to cut Holyrood’s funding will very quickly fuel demands for a second Scottish independence vote, and widen the gulf between Scottish and English voters.

Russell said all Tory leadership candidates should publicly pledge to honour the fiscal framework agreement since earlier this year by George Osborne, the chancellor, and he urged Ruth Davidson, the Scottish Tory leader, to “condemn these undemocratic factions within her own party looking for any excuse to hammer Scotland”.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I can think of a sure fire way to end the Barnet formula.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Are Idlewild still alive?

They got renamed to JFK.

Also, Gloryhammer for Eurovision would be amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

As twee as they are I actually do like a couple of dropkick murphys songs.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I don't really understand Europe's musical taste, but as a serious option Chvrches seem like they would be able to put together a nice song that wouldn't be entirely despised by modern audiences, despite their choreography likely consisting of "they just stand there, two of them behind keyboards going 'ohhh' on occasion"

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Chvrches would be great but probably too cerebral for Eurovision. Just bring Lulu out of retirement.

Also OP pretty sure Kevin McKenna's been Yes for a while now, he's just milking the brexit a bit.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Coohoolin posted:

Chvrches would be great but probably too cerebral for Eurovision. Just bring Lulu out of retirement.

Also OP pretty sure Kevin McKenna's been Yes for a while now, he's just milking the brexit a bit.

Yeah McKenna was a very late convert to Yes in 2014.

For Eurovision, we should just get Marti off the skag long enough to front a Wet Wet Wet revival.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Ugh no, I saw him in Evita a couple of years ago and he was god awful and completely unintelligible.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah McKenna was a very late convert to Yes in 2014.

Ah I'll amend it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

#1 - Is he trying to build up Scottish Support for independence?
#2 - what the gently caress is happening in that gif?

makes me think those people who say that the government is run by reptiles might have a grain of truth to them

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The chorus of minds within the shell of Gove are all attempting to experience the event at the same time.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cant believe that oval office is Scottish.

Aug 4, 2010

I can

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

tithin posted:

#1 - Is he trying to build up Scottish Support for independence?

Either that or he's trying to drum up support for insurgency for being a complete poo poo.

Tony Blair and Gordon Brown.

That's all that needs to be said really. We seem to have a black and white moral standard here and we seem to export the black to england and keep the white her-

actually... maybe that isn't a good choice of words to use...gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gordon Brown isn't especially evil.