Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Pissflaps posted:

Try again without the hyperbole.

Things will be worse than they would have been, but the sky isn't falling.

Brexit demonstrates why breaking union with your most important partners is a bad idea. What's true for the UK is true for Scotland.

Nationalism got us into this mess. More nationalism is not the solution.

Hmm yes lets stay in this failing union because apparently Scotland wanting to have decisions about how Scotland is ran and not be dictated by England is nationalism

The sky isn't falling because Article 50 hasn't been triggered yet. Scotland will get their independence referendum soon enough, there's a lot on the line to get the ball rolling again before London companies decide to gently caress off to Paris/Frankfurt for good. I'm sure there's demand from people to move their HQ to Edinburgh over Europe once it happens too.

You are right though, more nationalism isn't the solution. Perhaps you can be the one to tell that to the boys down in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Jedit posted:

What the gently caress planet are you living on?

1) A vote for the status quo is by definition not a leap in the dark because we know what the status quo is. Nor was that status quo untenable in the mind of anyone other than the most frothing nationalists.

It was untenable enough for 45% of the frothing nationalists voting population to decide that a leap in the dark was worth it.

Jedit posted:

2) If you were really capable of making the "astute observation" that Tory England would vote us out of the EU then you were the only one. The bookies didn't believe it would be a Leave result, the city didn't believe it, even the people who were campaigning for it didn't believe it. Nigel Farage thought he was going to be defeated half an hour after the polls closed.

I disagree with my honourable friend Tom about the Brexit being a predictable result. However, it is quite believable that staying within the United Kingdom would result in major conflicts of interest between the people of Scotland and rest of the UK, especially with the election results of the past decade.

Jedit posted:

3) The failure of the SNP to decisively affect a UK General Election despite overwhelming Scottish support has gently caress all to do with the FPTP system and everything to do with the fact that they stand in less than 10% of the constituencies and are voted for by less than 10% of the electorate.

Yes and who exactly decides on these constituencies?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
What an odd way to find out my schoolmate is now a standup comic at the fringe and is in the shortlist for an award.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

forkboy84 posted:

High school built up a lifelong hatred of poetry in me, sorry.

Same, I'm surprised English wasn't rated higher in that poll

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
All this history chat is appropriate given 2017 is the Year of History, Heritage and Archaeology, according to VisitScotland's press release about their latest deal with TripAdvisor. Not exactly sure what the deal is actually going to bring other than a joint marketing campaign, though.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Seems like an easy Stephen Gethins vote for NE Fife

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I surprised that this website https://www.tactical2017.com doesn't seem to prioritize voting Labour over SNP when those two parties are the top two in the constituency. Surely a Labour majority is better than hung parliament?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Peep the replies to this tweet

https://twitter.com/Fergoodness/status/871688830839115778

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Does anyone in this thread still actually care about independence or is flaps just pissing into the abyss again

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Don't think you'll find any tory voters in here tho??

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Extreme0 posted:

You can't get rid of cancer sadly.

Evident by pissflaps' continued posting in this thread tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The next Scottish Parliament elections will decide on the SNP mandate. If they get another majority like in 2011 in a voting system designed to prevent it then there's a chance the bozza wozza giva reffa

But very unlikely, on both counts