Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Since we've turned ScotPol into "bad power metal: The Thread", here's a really bad song by some Swedes, Lost Horizon

It's called Highlander (The One) so I've decided that's enough of a connection to Scotland to warrant posting here.

Is doing a 12 minute "epic" song about The Highlander better or worse than an entire album about The Silmarillion? And why is that I will tolerate black metal bands referencing Tolkein but instantly hate every other song that references his works?

Are you saying you hate They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Among EU members, Denmark would clearly be the most appropriate. Not only are there historical links, we bring experience with North Atlantic dependencies to the table.

We'd insist on ruining your flag though:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Niric posted:

Ach, well if it's unreadable I'll stop; it's just to pass the time on my morning commute.

I'm mostly lurking the thread but I'd appreciate it if you'd put the front pages in [timg] tags as it's a lot to scroll through if my browser doesn't jump correctly to unread posts.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Have I just missed her appearances or has Kezia Dugdale gone missing since the election?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jedit posted:

No, the union of the crowns was the official declaration that the Scottish and English crown were one and the same. Before that they had already been worn on the same head, but were still distinct and could in theory be inherited by different people. What the SNP were proposing was a return to that state, albeit with no real chance of them separating through inheritance.

It sounds like you're referring to the proclamation concerning the Kings Majesties Stile issued by James VI, that had no real legal force beyond what he just wanted people to call him, and is not what is usually meant by the phrase Union of the Crowns; rather, the act of his first inheriting the crown of England is what that term commonly applies to:

Parliament's own website on the Union of the Crowns posted:

http://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/evolutionofparliament/legislativescrutiny/act-of-union-1707/overview/union-of-the-crowns/
...England and Scotland now shared the same monarch under what was known as a union of the crowns.

Unified state

James was not satisfied with this arrangement. He wanted a complete or perfect union that brought the two kingdoms into a single, enlarged and unified state...

...James's failure to win hearts and minds with his vision of a single British kingdom under one imperial crown meant that he had to be content with symbolic reforms and gestures.

In October 1604 he decreed that he would in future be known by the style and title of King of Great Britain and not by the divided names of England and Scotland.
Here you can see that the term "union of the crowns" refers to the state of affairs before the proclamation concerning the Kings Majesties Stile, which was the state of affairs James was not happy with.

Further, his son readopted the style "King of Scotland, England, France and Ireland", and a primary impetus for the actual Act of Union was the Act of Security and the Act of Settlement, where the Scottish and English parliaments each asserted their right to pass the crowns of their respective kingdoms to a person of their choosing, and not necessarily the same person.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

On one hand Torrance is like a marginally less poo poo Daisley so I'm fine him being shat upon, on the other when you see the Labour video on the NHS which was genuinely emotional and very power this is just unbelievably petty and lame. Who even knows who Torrance is but people who already pay too much attention to politics? What's the Scotsman's circulation these days, 8?

It's pretty childish but when your achievements are as uninspiring as the SNP's in government I suppose it can't be very easy.

I don't see you have to have any idea who Torrance is for the ad to work. Almost everyone knows someone who bangs on about politics at parties, it works on that level.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Lobster God posted:

Not sure arsonist is a job per se. More of a calling.

Glasgow gets enough fires in listed buildings on sites perfect for new flats that it could probably sustain a few arsonists professionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Angepain posted:

so yeah, what happens now

even a tory party leader who cared about decorum would probably hold off until a big Holyrood result before even allowing the thought of possibly allowing a referendum, and even then it seems unlikely. Do the SNP just keep trying to embarrass Boris on The World Stage and hope something gets to him? Do they do a Catalonia and try their own home-grown vote and get beaten up by the police? Seems like poo poo's hosed.

I don't think it's wise for Scotland to try to repeat Catalonia's mistake. A wildcat referendum supported only by words will just spell disaster, like you say. I don't know, abstentionism? I almost think SNP voters would support that at this point.