Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

tsa posted:

It wouldn't be ideal, but 700 pounds a month would certainly be very much affordable at the national average by standard rules of thumb. You're wrong.

what rule of thumb are you using? at 30% I make that a salary requirement of £28 000. Median is £21k in the UK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Median and average are different things tho?

They aren't, average refers to whichever method you use (usually Mean) but in a tax haven full of millionaires, rank inequality, and 0 hour contracts and temp work being norm, a mean either including or excludion 2 sd doesn't reflect the income you can expect to make. Median is the preferred method for income.

You can make adjustments and come out with a good prediction of what's affordable but unless TSA is arguing that 50% is "reasonable" to spend on rent (it is absolutely not) then it wouldn't be relevant to argue that £700 + council tax is affordable for the average.

However, I did just check further, and the median income of the northeast of Scotland is still around £30k, so he's right in that this would make it affordable. Unless you lose your job, or don't work full time.

big scary monsters posted:

The median is an average. I wonder what the national income mode is, probably £0 I guess.

minimum wage, quite possibly now on 0 hours too

Spangly A fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 18, 2016

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's not what I meant at all - and the way that you failed to get it really highlights the problem. And as far as pubs go, I'm not some foreigner ignorant of the history of the UK who only ever goes to Irish pubs because those were all they had in his home country. I mean I'm a paid up member of CAMRA and all, and I've read their campaign goals a number of times and I'm pretty sure "making sure that all pubs have some lovely manchild playing bad covers of Catholic folk songs from the 70s" isn't on the list.

CAMRA's campaign goals are to cut taxes and stop having the government say alcohol is bad for you, I'm looking at the page right now

you do not come across the better man in this exchange

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

ookiimarukochan posted:

The main goal is - shockingly, it's in the name - to promote the Real Ale. The taxes thing is about having pub & supermarket alcohol sales taxation equalised which makes sense to me, and the drinking campaigning was spun off into a different organisation months ago.

I had no idea that lovely music was so important to so many people when they go drinking rather than not-poo poo-drinks or affordability. I shall consider myself informed then.

every CAMRA event I've ever been to (and I live in the home counties so it's somewhere north of 25) has had hours of folk music.

You can repeat the taxes nonsense if you like, but you'll notice that they want taxes to go down, not up, and have this weird thing with the lib dems. The "stop regulating alcohol and saying its bad" stuff is still on their campaign page. I am looking at it, still. I'm not defending poo poo music (I like poo poo music tho), I'm just mocking a CAMRA member. It's a pleasant privelege to speak to one young enough to use the internet.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Aramoro posted:

UC is one of those ideas which is theoretically great, but the implementation and surrounding issues have made it totally toxic. Its a bit like the Poll Tax in that respect, idea is not that terrible at its core, its the implementation.

UC was conceived and intended to be a punitive measure against the poor and a way to attack untouchable protected benefits like disability, it was not in any way a good idea, or better than the previous system

the fact they borrowed the branding of a good idea doesn't make it a good idea, much like the tory living wage is not actually a living wage by any understood meaning of the term