Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I wish there could be a way of having a referendum without the campaigning - the two sides just lay out dispassionate statements of facts (or as close as can be possible to facts) then they just shut up and direct people to it. It would possibly end up with the same effect anyway and save lots of money and sanity.

I know that's not going to happen but the thought of another 6 months of people screaming Liar! and Fearmongerer! at each other fills me with dread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Acaila posted:

My favourite news story of the day - Knit your way out of prison, aka the judge that says "Did ye, aye?"
https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/221746/road-rage-incident-leads-to-knitting-challenge/

While I do understand the allure of a good wool shop (they are pretty hard to find these days) that challenge doesn't make much sense - she could just trawl second hand shops buying up knitted clothes. The judge should have set her a more specific challenge.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It's something I'm more likely to do when I'm stressed and want to have something mindless to distract me from whatever fuckery is going on - since the results of the EU referendum I've made 2 dresses, a jumper and a minion.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Most of the parents I know who are aware of the legislation hate it. I don't think it's because they hate the SNP, they just don't like the idea of being watched and judged.

I'm not particularly bothered but then I'm really bad at caring about privacy laws anyway.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

They aren't being watched though, it simply means that if a kid goes to the hospital one week with a broken arm, goes to scouts with a black eye, and possibly mentions to a teacher that dad sometimes gets angry. The NP would receive this info to determine if there is anything to be concerned about, which they can then report to social services if required. It's completely benign and will hopefully save children from abusive situations that may not otherwise be noticed.

I know, I think it's a good idea (if it actually works like that and kids don't just end up falling through the gaps like they do now). But for whatever reason a lot of parents feel like this amounts to people keeping tabs on them.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is it even illegal to gently caress your step-sister?

No it isn't (I just googled it). Step parents and children can't but siblings are okay.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

So the answer to his question about Abraham coming to Scotland is "no".

I did a bit more googling and it turns out that Sarah was Abrahams half sister, not step sister so it would have been illegal.

I just can't imagine it is a massive problem that needs to be resolved unless a lot more people want to gently caress their sisters than I thought. The main problem these days I guess would be the increased number of more extended families caused by parents separating, remarrying and having more children who might not even know each other and get together without being aware of a family connection. But if that happened I assume the police don't come barging through their doors with a blood test and arrest warrant.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Jedit posted:

Absolutely read The Shepherd's Crown. I enjoyed Raising Steam enough, but it wasn't one of the greats.

I'd agree on Shepherds Crown, I think the fact that the Tiffany Aching books had a very slightly different tone anyway helps, and there are so many moving bits in it (I cried a ton and that's pretty unusual for me).

I really really struggled with Raising Steam though. Snuff was the Vimes one in the country? I'd say Raising Steam was on a par or possibly a bit less good than that. Obviously it's completely understandable why.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I don't know. I've lived with an alcoholic who would drink solidly for a week or however long it would take for him to turn yellow, go to the hospital to dry out then stay sober for a month or whatever and do the same again. The cost of what he was drinking was so far down the list of what he cared about I can't see it affecting his drinking patterns. He'll just nick it or steal money or scrounge off friends - when you're used to having a drinking problem and no money then it doesn't matter if superbeer costs £2 or £4.

But I get that the policy might not be aimed at people with that level of problem, more people who just drink too much. My husband now drinks more than he should - over the recommended amount every week - and I can't see it changing his drinking habits either. I'd love it if it did but I am confident that in reality in my house we'll just have a bit less disposable income and he'll maybe do a couple more cash jobs than he does now, so on nights when he fancies a drink he doesn't have to feel guilty about taking it out the household budget. My mum is the same, she drinks a bottle of wine a night and going by our families previous financial history I know there's a lot that she will give up or cut back on before she gives up her wine.

Maybe it will work and I'll be happily surprised. It's good they're trying something I guess, I just hope that if it doesn't have the desired outcome they reverse it because the budget is going to be tight enough when brexit inflation hits the shelves.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Does anybody want to talk about baby boxes? Or the latest independence preference polling data?

I like the idea of baby boxes (although slightly sad that i missed out on them like I did with the baby bonds - my baby timing was rubbish). What would be even better would be putting the child benefit forms in them too and kicking Bounty out of maternity wards. Or just kicking Bounty out of maternity wards and giving new parents child benefit forms at any of the other times people see them. They could just have a big pile of them on the desk - whatever.

(For people who don't frequent maternity units Bounty is a company that give out free samples and try and get you to buy photos of your baby. They also give you your child benefit forms and can make new mums - who have probably been through a fairly sleep deprived and painful 24 hours - feel obliged to hand over personal information that they use for marketing as well as spending money on fancy photos because of the legitimacy that providing government forms gives them.)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Here we had ten candidates, 2 SNP, a Green, a Conservative and 6 Independents. No Labour people - or I think maybe one of the Independents used to be a Labour person?

Argyll and Bute council is a shitshow though.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Assuming some random group on Facebook know what they're talking about Oban (North and South) has gone from 6 independents, an SNP and a Labour to 4 Independents, 2 SNP and 2 Conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've had two leaflets today, one for "Ruth Davidson's candidate" and one for the Lib Dems. They both have bar charts proving that they are the only ones that can beat the SNP (one based on the 2015 election the other based on the council elections). Labour haven't sent me a leaflet as far as I can tell and there is absolutely nothing online about him (Michael Kelly if anyone knows anything about him).