Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Extreme0 posted:

Scottish National Party's Current Mood

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I strongly suspect that a second indyref would fail to pass. Emotions are high right now, everything is in flux and the dust is still settling - when/if a second ref comes about, we'd necessarily have to revisit all the old arguments that sprang up in the first one (albeit with the EU situation significantly changed). Economics, currency (really, would Scotland want to change to the Euro? I'm not entirely sure), the deficit and building a border between us and England.

That last one is, funnily enough, the one I'm most concerned about - I'd find that state of affairs heartbreaking, regardless of the current state of politics.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Are there people in Scotland who thought the EU would negotiate with Sturgeon? Or allow EU membership of a constituent part of a nation state?

Everyone I know thought it was either a ploy to justify Indyref2 or that she genuinely was trying in a desperate sort of way to see if anything at all could be done or negotiated (but still wanted to build up a case for indyref2).

e: but no, no-one thought a special snowflake deal was on the table at any point.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I've wanted to learn German for a while. Never knew Angus Robertson could speak fluent German. Wonders never cease.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Boris ain't running for PM. One bright spot in the dark.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm very disappointed they didn't ape GTAV and call it BAWSAQ

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The prospect of indyref2 worries me. None of the economic arguments from the first round have been answered. In fact, the collapse in oil prices if anything makes it harder to justify. Lots of previous No voters I know have turned Yes or at least undecided since the EU ref result, but all of them have cited the EU ref specifically, not a change in economics. I'm worried people are letting an emotive result cloud their judgement.

I get that what we signed up to in the last ref has kinda fallen apart, but in my mind this hasn't answered the unanswered questions of the previous referendum.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anyone who orders one will be added to a watch list.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Judging by some media output it's clear the result has come as a shock for some traditional No voters and made them reassess their position - I think a hypothetical Indyref the Friday after EUref could well have produced a Yes result.

But as time goes on, and the pragmatic arguments come to the fore, I think it'll be less and less of a factor.

I agree with this - if Indyref2 happens, it's likely to take a year or more to go through the whole process - runup, campaigning, debates etc like it did last time. Once that occurs, it is inevitable that arguments will need to turn to practical concerns, such as currency, economy, what share of the debt we inherit, borders etc.

If someone was a No voter last time, they will still want answers to these questions and as time goes on, the emotional impact of Brexit will fade. Perhaps when we actually pull the trigger on Article 50, these feelings will renew, but I doubt it's enough to sway people from last time.

I think, however, the larger impact will be as that article Extreme0 linked - the resurgent English Nationalist sentiment and especially within the Tories. Whether it's wise to base an irrevocable political breakup on something that is transitory like that, I don't know. All I know is, what is happening in the political system at the moment and the kind of people looking to become the leader of the nation is making me deeply uneasy and even pragmatic economic arguments are somewhat dry and bitter against that at the moment.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

People who rely on human beings as bargaining chips or think the LGBT are mentally ill and have power to do so is the type of shithole I want to get out of regardless of the consquences. That's near sociopath behavior and anyone who thinks it's going to be OK are deluding themselves.

It seems quaint that when Cameron won the last election, I was worried of the state of the welfare state and the NHS - now I worry for the state of basic civil rights.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

The National headline about dying of bagpipe lung is something I'd have expected from the Onion. I am struggling to believe someone decided that was front-page material.

I find it weird that a paper that apparently seeks to make the case for independence as a national newspaper seems to use weaponised twee to sell copy much like the Daily Sport uses tits.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Nicola Sturgeon is going to introduce a "Baby box" for every newborn in Scotland after 2017:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/scotland-baby-boxes-nicola-sturgeon-speech-live-snp-conference-a7363256.html

Don't read the comments.

I think it could be quite good provided its followed up with free and mandatory ante-natal exams and check-ups which is what purportedly is responsible for the reduction in child mortality.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Seems to work well for Finland at the moment from what I can gather.

Also :lol: at the subhumans wanting babies to die of cot death in the independent article.

You just want to give sweaty jock babies free heroin and buckfast and deep fried mars bars and

wait

wonder if they will extend this to adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm watching news articles of current events and thinking it would be fitting to have a montage of them with Bob Dylan's "the times they are a changin" over it, like in Watchmen