Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I keep having to remind idiots that my dad was an immigrant, whereupon they trot out "not that kind of immigrant". Even in fairly multicultural Aberdeen there are unwitting xenophobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

keep punching joe posted:

Does Aberdeen still have a fairly sizeable National Front presence? I lived there about 10 years ago and remember being shocked by the amount of NF and swastika graffiti around the place.
Not that I've seen - I've actually noticed quite a few anti nazi stickers on traffic lights and like. I live right in the centre though, so other areas may be different.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

CoolCab posted:

my sister (and I) are white british, it didn't stop a glasgow cab driver for cussing her out today for being able to vote because we have canadian accents.
loving taxi drivers - the guy who took me to the airport the other day trotted out the £350m figure...

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Imo there shouldn't be anyone on the council with a double barreled name anyway

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Belle and Sebastian are the obvious choice

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't think the challenge was specific enough. She should have been asked to knit a jumper with a depiction of the incident to a high degree of realism.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like the news feed, it's perfect for extremely lazy people like myself.

Extreme0 is performing a public service.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Please recall that Harvie and other greens have the power of levitation

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm happy for our Andy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I don't post much, but I appreciate the roundup because I'm extremely lazy and I haven't bought any of these papers in years.

Also I'm moving to Edinburgh in October so I'd be interested in talking to goons around a sticky boardgame table in a 'tavern' full of gross turbonerds. Bruntsfield will be my neighbourhood and it seems easy to get around from there.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Acaila posted:

Bruntsfield is a nice place :)
Though I'm moving out to Fife in November, but won't be far away. If you like that sort of gaming, walk down from Bruntsfield to Tollcross and go to the Edinburgh Games Hub. Me and my pal found it thinking it was a cafe, stayed for their panini and brownies, and they seemed terribly confused by these girls coming in just for the food not the games, but they were very nice :D. I noticed there's also a new one down by Lebowskis, but they haven't fed me brownies enough for an endorsement.
I've actually don't know much about boardgaming, I was making fun of 'flaps post. That place sounds nice though.

Jedit posted:

Missed this. You will not find a sticky table in any games cafe in the land, because one post on BGG saying "they don't clean the tables" and they will lose most of their regular business. Also you won't meet many "gross turbonerds" these days because the increased popularity of gaming in the mainstream has pushed the real trogs back into their holes. If you went to an event like Spiel, Europe's biggest games trade fair with footfall of 40,000 visitors a day, you'd be shocked by how normal nearly everyone looks.
I shouldn't have said that turbonerds are gross, I'm sorry.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 11, 2016

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's a good time to leave Aiberdeen

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Coohoolin you live in Aberdeen how can you still think oil is viable for us?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Well, I lost my job, among thousands of other people whose companies are no longer able to operate at the same staffing levels - fair enough, it was unsustainable and the boom period was always going to be finite. That's one of the reasons I'm very wary of using the oil as a prop for the Scottish economy.

Whether you notice a difference in Aberdeen depends on where you fit into the city, I guess. Many of my friends and former colleagues have simply moved elsewhere. I've also moved city to find work in another field, since I'm done with oil.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I completely believe that happened here...

Then again I haven't been around at lunchtime to see for myself because I try to avoid the street when the kids are out anyway.

On another note, I find it quite interesting just how white Edinburgh feels compared to Aberdeen. Didn't expect that.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah, "feels" is probably the keyword. I think the area I live in feels especially white despite its proximity to universities.

What areas would edinburghers consider more 'ethnic' than others so I can go and get food there?

I took a job at a removals company recently so I'll see more of the city soon.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Must be where we lived. There are so many Nigerian engineers and students in Aberdeen now.

I moved from Rosemount to Bruntsfield and somehow the latter feels even more bourgeois. When the lease is up here I'll look for somewhere in Dalry I think.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any Aberdonian ppl in Edinburgh tell me where I can find Moray Cup in edinburgh? It is for a joke gift.

If there's another Scottish thread, I can't be bothered finding it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Jedit posted:

Try chippers. They may have it in the fridge.
Good idea. I can't find it anywhere actually for sale online and I'm worried it'll cease production because it should be illegal, probably.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This has nothing to do with politics but my brother in law was visiting over Xmas and hogmanay and he became addicted to irn Bru and junk food such as sausage rolls and bridies. He even started eating rowies when we went up to Aberdeen...

No wonder men die so young in Scotland.

Oh we also went to the boardgame cafe down the road and it was actually ace. Maybe I am a boardgame dweeb now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm actually still a little amazed that they were able to phrase it "yes/no". "Yes" seemed a lot easier to market.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
fit a time to be alive

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Did you do this coohoolin
http://aberdeenlabour.co.uk

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Dithering over who to go for in Edinburgh south. Policywise I am a green but I'll vote for whoever can keep the tories-i mean RUTH DAVIDSON'S PARTY-out.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Tories were third in South in 2015, at 17.5%, with SNP at 34% and Labour at 39%. Ian Murray seems to be regarded as a very good constituency MP by his constituents, and (in my very limited campaign experience with South) any voters I've met who've been displeased with him are displeased with him because he's anti-Corbyn. I would be moderately surprised if he lost the seat with the SNP on a downswing, and very surprised if he lost it to the Tories.

Greens aren't standing there, in any case. You've got Labour, Lib Dem, SNP and the blues.

Ah, I just moved here so I didn't even know. Typical ignorant voter.

I actually haven't had anything through the door from Murray, just multiple Tory and SNP leaflets.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The flat next to mine is an Airbnb let and the owner is the worst person I've ever met. Any legislation that inconveniences him is something I'd vote for.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yep...I'm in Edinburgh and own my flat, but most of the flats in the building are short term lets. It's out of control.

I am a landlord myself (and thus scum) but it's a long term lease up in Aberdeen and my tenant was carefully vetted.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's cool how every political party is either repugnant or futile to vote for.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
*especially if you're an Airbnb landlaird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I will always vote green because I can't vote for anyone else in good conscience. Good thing I live in one of the safest SNP constituencies, so they're the worst that can happen due to my vote splitting...

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 21, 2019