Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It has monkeys.

Only 823 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

baronvonsabre posted:

Goddamn, I didn't realise it was that bad for Wales.

Wales got shagged harder than their sheep. When people were bandying about the figures for % of average per person contribution to claim that Scotland was net wealthier than the UK, the Welsh figures came with. I believe it was 78%. You can talk about the lies on immigration and the NHS and everything else all you want, but the single lie that Westminster would keep paying the EU's subsidies to Wales and Cornwall swung the referendum. Without that the two regions would have been harder to Remain than Scotland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

Wait till Jedit comes out and tells us he was right about the SNP being Nazis.

:v:

You're out of luck, I'm afraid. I'm not in, so I can't come out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Not that I've seen - I've actually noticed quite a few anti nazi stickers on traffic lights and like. I live right in the centre though, so other areas may be different.

You've not been down the beach, then, where "POLES OUT" is scrawled on the walls faster than it can be scrubbed off.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

Why the beaches? Is that where they think all the dastardly poles enter the country, rather than y'know, walking straight through an airport terminal like they've been legally entitled to for some time now

No, it's for the much more prosaic reason that fascists and racists are cowards. They do their scrawling down at the beach because they can go there at 2am without fear that anyone will see who is doing it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

I guess we'll just have to fight them on the beaches then.

:thumbsup:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Some good news as Martin Kitts-Hayes, the defector who handed Aberdeenshire Council to the SNP in exchange for the deputy leadership, is being sent before the Ethics tribunal after walking out on a conference in Denmark and using taxpayers money to fly home because he didn't like the hotel. Whether or not they do anything is to be seen, but at least the SNP voted to get rid of their useful idiot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

I'm wondering if it's associated more with stench unionists or stench zoomers.

Do you mean "staunch"? Not that the other word doesn't fit both parties, but still.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Acaila posted:

I have to confess that I actually quite like Runrig. I think it's like the law if you grew up in the Highlands in the 90s?

I like Runrig, I've seen them live six or seven times down the years and still have an ancient t-shirt from the 1991 Festival Tour I think. The albums after Donnie Munro left weren't as good, but I was still kind of sad to hear they were hanging it up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I think Alestorm are the Scottish equivalent of the Dropkick Murphys. This is not a compliment.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

How will I know which schools are the nazi schools?

EDIT: if you actually read the national action link *shudder* i think it says she's 19.

Edit 2: nope, that's another contestant. Hah, I didn't even notice it was different people. Look at this poo poo though

You need to ingratiate yourself with a link to the "Hitler reacts to Brexit" Downfall video. Now that's what I call "Danke, memes!"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TomViolence posted:

The thing is the No camp didn't exactly make a strong case for how things would be more stable either. Certainly in retrospect it seems either choice was a massive leap in the dark and any hope that maintaining the untenable status quo was somehow more stable was naive and largely unfounded. The quite reasonable belief that tory England would drag us kicking and screaming from Europe and otherwise punt our hopes and dreams into the loving sea is not so much an emotional argument as an astute observation of the way the wind was and is blowing. That the Scottish electorate only a year later mobilised en masse to vote overwhelmingly for one party without having any kind of decisive effect on the election result (thanks FPTP) illustrates perfectly how misserved they are by Britain's democratic deficit and begs the question, "How can things meaningfully improve for us without independence?"

But I suppose anybody that disagrees with the idea that a No vote was the sensible, adult, non-idiotic choice should just shut up and eat their cereal.

What the gently caress planet are you living on?

1) A vote for the status quo is by definition not a leap in the dark because we know what the status quo is. Nor was that status quo untenable in the mind of anyone other than the most frothing nationalists.

2) If you were really capable of making the "astute observation" that Tory England would vote us out of the EU then you were the only one. The bookies didn't believe it would be a Leave result, the city didn't believe it, even the people who were campaigning for it didn't believe it. Nigel Farage thought he was going to be defeated half an hour after the polls closed.

3) The failure of the SNP to decisively affect a UK General Election despite overwhelming Scottish support has gently caress all to do with the FPTP system and everything to do with the fact that they stand in less than 10% of the constituencies and are voted for by less than 10% of the electorate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Don't invite him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sion posted:

BRAVE

PROUD

ADJECTIVE

BRAVE
PROUD
PERSONALISED

Also it appears there are only 4,999 True Scotsmen. Order now to avoid missing out!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PiCroft posted:

Anyone who orders one will be added to a watch list.

:fuckoff:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

I dunno, I still haven't met anyone who's been turned pro-Indy by Brexit. If they're out there they're keeping quiet about it.

How large can that constituency really be? We're looking at the intersection of Remain and No, and the subset of that for whom EU membership was the deciding factor in their No vote. I'd be surprised if there's five points in it, if that.

EU membership doesn't have to be the deciding factor. All that is required is the belief, now, that Scotland is hosed if it remains in a non-EU UK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

There is a difference between being hosed under the Tories and hosed under the SNP within the EU. The Tories will make sure the poorest bare the brunt of Brexit's downsides. They will still have human rights while someone like Leadsom is busy removing ours in order to wage her war on political correctness. What you're actually saying is there is no downside to splitting. If the UK somehow pulls back then they will still be a valuable trading partner with the EU, including Scotland. If they stay hosed then at least Scotland can look after its own and protect things like health services while the UK ravages itself.

To add another point to this: while Scotland will almost certainly be just as massively hosed by declaring independence as it would be by remaining in the hosed UK, the independent Scotland is preferable simply because it will be easier to leave it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The SNP sided with the Nazis 70 years ago. I don't blame Jews in Scotland for hoping they have changed when the Tories are enabling the rise of Nazis in the UK right now.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Scottish notes are not legal tender in the united kingdom either, the bank of england just accepts them.

For that matter, Bank of England notes aren't legal tender outside the UK. They just exchange for it.

Extreme0, why did you just decide to become an aggregated news feed?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

If you're going to insist on continually doing zero effort, zero content posts that mindlessly (and without any actual argument) defend the government, you could least occasionally make them funny or something.

Please, Coohoolin isn't even the biggest mindless nationalist HTB in Aberdeen. He's got a long way to go before he can aspire to be Peter Dow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

keep punching joe posted:

Question for Nats (and non-Nats of course).

If the UK government was to devolve basically everything except defence, and some useless royal family bullshit, while also negotiating full EEA status for the UK. Would you be happy with that as a constitutional compromise for the foreseeable future?

No. It's remain in the EU or nothing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Tomorrow's National headline claims the SNP are announcing a new currency for an independent Scotland.

Shortbread is not legal tender.

Meanwhile, here's some fun news.

quote:

The leader of UKIP in Scotland has said his party is full of "total tossers".

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 17, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Finding myself in agreement with David Coburn, what is the world coming to?

You don't have to agree with him, he only said "some".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Who the gently caress is being polled there?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Leggsy posted:

Looks like Indyref 2 is dead for the time being. Tomorrows Herald has YouGov showing No at 53% and Yes at 47%. Turns out the SNP's caution was justified.

Brexit here we come :smith:

EDIT: And for those who think that EU membership will affect anything. The poll also found that 55% of Scots would prefer to remain in the UK outside of the EU, as opposed to the other way round.

They should stop polling exclusively in Banff and Buchan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Statistically the poll would suggest that there's broadly very little change on the subject.

No, it suggests that the number of Remain/No voters is roughly the same as the number of Leave/Yes voters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Scrapping air passenger duty is moronic from a financial point of view and in direct opposition to the SNP's own policy on meeting carbon targets. On the other hand, it's a solid populist move, so it's hardly surprising they did it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Jesus, those are a lot of words to say "I want to gently caress my sister". Creepy.

But it would save a great deal of pubic money!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Angepain posted:

It's got an acronym now, everything's fine when there's an acronym for it.

I'm not sure I 100% agree with his "France is a terrorist target because incest is legal" theory though

One would think the terrorists would be in favour, they're a bunch of motherfuckers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

They really are the newspaper for sad, bitter racist fucks, aren't they? "Och, I'd never have lost ma job on the telly if only Scotland had voted tae be free, but the English want tae oppress us!" Elaine C Smith was on the board of both YES Scotland and the Common Weal for two years, and as soon as she stepped down from that the Beeb gave her a new sitcom. If this loving idiot lost his job for his Indyref tweets it was for bringing his employer into disrepute, which is not a political matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alertrelic posted:

Calm down, friend.

Stupidity angers me.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The fate of all sensible men who live where The National front pages can be viewed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sion posted:

One fisherman dies, hopes fade for second.

I mean, I don't like fishermen much but I don't think i'd hope for them to drown or something....

They voted for Brexit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Extreme0 posted:

And now one has already left Britain.

It wasn't a creek, but he was without a paddle.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Acaila posted:

Relevant to the current discussion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrBBphznfw

I got about 45 seconds in before I could bear no more of the soulless husk muttering in a monotone about regional news programmes. How is it relevant?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Acaila posted:

Speaking of, who is up for late August Edinburgh goon meet and hopefully grabbing some free Fringe comedy?

Not me I'm afraid, I'll be at the Discworld Convention.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Niric posted:

Speaking of, would you recommend reading the last couple? Haven't read Pratchett in ages and really like the series, but wasn't keen on Snuff and not sure I fancy reading anything less good than that (both for literary and :( reasons)

Absolutely read The Shepherd's Crown. I enjoyed Raising Steam enough, but it wasn't one of the greats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be sad if Dundee no longer has two football stadiums on the same street.

The story in the P&J about people playing Pokemon Go at the Piper Alpha memorial is quite funny though. In a dark sort of way.

It seems Pokestops get put at places where lots of people pass by. Practically every memorial anywhere is going to get one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sturgeon does realise she's robbing Peter to pay Paul, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheHoodedClaw posted:

Council funding is an ongoing catastrophe right now. An utter, utter disaster for things like adult services - services that once they are gone will be practically impossible to start up again.

Don't worry - it's all the fault of Westminster and when Scotland is free, money will rain down from the skies to fund everything we need!