Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Significant sounding stuff from the Guardian, though I've no idea how reliable the source is:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Haggis, haggis pizzas and haggis pakoras are all brilliant. Haggis burritos are an abomination.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My concern with Scottish politics at the minute is that the National Question looms over us to the point that we're not noticing how hosed we are either way. Either we stay in the UK and have to deal with the fallout of Brexit, or become independent and work out how to deal with our horrifying deficit which we're pretending doesn't exist. What worries me is that it's not really in anyone's political interest to say "everything is going to get worse regardless of what we do", but continuing to ignore that will likely mean the future gets even bleaker. I don't really know how to address this, and feel sad.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I think I'm right in saying that Scotland's deficit is now over twice the size of the highest deficit in the EU, right? That's terrifying if true.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I mean, while it's only been 27 months since the referendum, I'd argue that the Western World has changed more significantly than it has in the past 27 years. When I voted No in 2014 it was with the vague idea that a unified UK in the EU was important to the defense and coherence of the West as a whole, but I didn't expect the UK and US to veer away from Europe to the extent that they now have. I think it's wrong to say that generational changes can't happen abruptly, and if they do I'm not sure it's unreasonable to ask constitutional questions again regardless of how much actual time has passed.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Sion posted:

Putting aside how strongly I disagree with the statement of '27 months greater than 27 years' (Berlin Wall, 9/11 being pretty solid contenders for 'bigger events in the western world than brexit and a tangerine ballbag becoming president' imo)...

The Berlin Wall didn't fall in the last 27 years; I chose my time period carefully so I could exclude it in a sophistic way. But I honestly think 9/11 is vanishingly significant compared to the realignment we're seeing now.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Scotland's membership of the UK isn't contingent on the UK's membership of the EU: while it doesn't surprise me to see nationalists use it as a casus belli, that doesn't mean they should be indulged.

Jedit is literally the most anti-SNP member of Something Awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

working mom posted:

I really don't get the point in people protesting the president of another country

To make clear any attempt at emulating their policies here will be met by fierce resistance, and to show solidarity with women affected by those policies? It seems fairly clear cut to me.