Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Niric posted:

Scotland's papers: Student squeeze and police attack

Who is it that publishes the star? The current story seems a bit removed from their usual tits and celebs (preferably both) beat, much more the mail or the express's style of random politicised hatred at poor people or foreigners (preferably both).

The guy who publishes the Express. And reminder that the Star was really pro-EDL 5 years ago. To an extent which is still shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The biggest failure of the last 9 years of SNP government is undoubtedly their miserable failure at replacing the terrible council tax with a more progressive system of local taxation.

At the very least there needs to be a revaluation because it's been 25 years. Might actually start to deflate the insanity of the housing bubble, though god forbid a politician actually comes out and does anything that might lower house prices. But yes, a local income tax would be a much fairer system.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I've just found out that one of the Highland Tory MSPs is their Land Reform spokesman. And obviously he is a landlord (& 4th Baronet). For all that Ruth Davidson does well, you have to say that making a member of the landed gentry your land reform spokesman is a mite tone deaf.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nah, that's exactly what I was referring to. Well, I read about the exchange rather than watching it but that's what brought this realisation to mind.

I knew Mountain was a bad egg, he was the local constituency candidate here in 2015 & 2016 (bastard came second behind Fergus Ewing. Between those 2 very conservative candidates accounted for 68.3% of the vote. I loving hate Inverness) before getting in as a region MSP. I just hadn't realised he was the Land Reform guy for the Tories..

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

White probably straight man thinks he's onto a winner telling lesbian what to find offensive or not.

He's not telling her she has to be offended by it, but it's a context sensitive term. Me, a straight male, calling a lesbian a dyke is a bit different from a lesbian calling themselves a dyke.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

how can you not love andy wightman, he's the unkempt academic uncle this country needs

(pictured left)

I'd say between Andy Wightman, John Finnie & Patrick Harvie (I don't really know enough about the rest of their MSPs, though from the little I've seen Ross Greer seems well-intentioned at least. Suppose all of them are. Scottish Greens are pretty good really as far as modern political parties go.) the Greens have far & away the highest proportion of competent MSPs at present.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Crossposting from ukmt: she's a loving idiot.

I agree with Pissflaps. Will she ever resign I wonder?

The dodgy nature of so much of the 2016 intake might be the only thing that can lead to a resurrection of ScotLab at this point

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Angus Robertson won the deputy contest with 52.5% so there's that I guess.

Shame. He was clearly the establishment choice, & while he's done a fine job as leader at Westminster, especially at PMQs, it'd have been nice to see Tommy Sheppard win. SNP leadership are in danger of becoming as complacent as ScotLab used to be and probably could have benefited with someone who hasn't been with the part for decades but ho hum. Not like Deputy Leader means much.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Anyone with access past the Herald's paywall care to post the rest of this?

http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...ers/?ref=twtrec

Just right click on the link & read in Incognito mode.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Did John Swinney just outright say that they are still keeping the pound?

What a loving retard.

I don't see the point of independence if we keep the pound. For people who've wanted independence as their entire reason for being in politics, god the SNP are so conservative in what sort of independence they want. I wouldn't say we lost the referendum because of the currency question, but it was handled absolutely atrociously during the campaign & definitely cost some votes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Leggsy posted:

In some good news, minimum pricing is finally on track to being implemented.

As someone who has been a massive proponent of minimum pricing, i'm over the moon. Although it's a disgrace that it's taken this long to finally be delivered.

It's a lovely policy because instead of being a tax which could see money going towards treatment centres to help people with alcohol problems it just means that poor folk will spend a larger proportion of their wage on bevvy and supermarkets will make more profit. That's hosed. I'd accept it as a worthwhile attempt to treat a social ill. Put the money towards the health service & social care, giving it to Billy Tesco & Bobby Walmart is a terrible policy though.

Now I don't drink too often, but when I do, I binge drink horribly. And unless I'm particularly flush at that moment it's far more likely I'll buy a dirt cheap bottle of Glen's gut-rot vodka rather than a bottle of Laphroaig. Of course it's easy for tee-totallers to back a law that doesn't impact them. But more than "middle class students" drink for fucksake, or this wouldn't be an issue in the first place. What an utterly asinine point.

On top of that, I'm just not sure it'll make a huge dent into how much people drink. Just into their wallet. It's a very SNP policy, more about posture than the actual outcome, and a wee bit old-fashioned paternalistic too. Daddy (or in this case Mummy) knows best.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 21, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I believe this conversation was making me want to drink before midday.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

duckmaster posted:

As cigarette and tobacco prices have risen, in combination with cheaper air travel across europe, the market for black market and grey market tobacco (where the duty has been paid somewhere in the EU but the tobacco is then resold illegally) has increased. If alcohol prices rise I see little reason why a corresponding market for alcohol won't take shape, although Brexit may well put the brakes on it a bit.

In other words if a bottle of vodka now costs £15 in the shops but wee Jimmy can drop one off for a tenner then actually there is a cheaper alternative.

Can't wait for Barrhead Travel or some other Scottish travel agent to start offering booze cruises to Carlisle & Berwick so you can take advantage of Tesco bevvy sales..

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jre posted:

It's not a tax it's a price floor. And even if it were a tax it would be a consumption tax on a luxury item.
Do people who oppose minimum alcohol pricing support cutting the tax on cigarettes ? Is that a tax on the poor as well ?

No, because it's a tax on fags. This is, as you say, not a tax. If the money raised from it would go towards social care services and the like that'd be one thing, but it's not. That's a different.

Though I'd still oppose it because I like to drink alcohol, & when I'm not raking in the cash I settle for drinking cheap alcohol, I'd just oppose it slightly less. Selfish but eh, there you go. We live in a bleak country, maybe if our governments would stop being so loving awful there'd be less reason for escaping through alcohol. Obviously that is involves slightly more effort than just increasing the price on a bottle of Glen's while doing gently caress all to a bottle of Lagavulin.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Leggsy posted:

Reducing prices before solving problems with abuse is just putting the cart before the horse and would likely make things a whole lot worse. Smoking has been declining pretty consistently year-on-year, partially due to higher pricing as well as other innovations. Do we really want to reverse that progress because some people are upset that they have to pay too much for what is essentially a luxury?

I don't like smoking. I think it's manky, people doing it smell, and the smoke irritates my lungs something rotten. And yet there's something hosed up about this attitude. OK, smoking is a luxury. Bevvy is a luxury. Aren't the plebs allowed luxuries too? If you get your kicks from a packet of Golden Virginia or whatever the gently caress, and that makes the 8 hours you spend at your pointless barely-better-than-minimum-wage job slightly more tolerable, I don't really grudge you that.

Yes, encouraging people to stop smoking is good, on the whole. But some people just don't want to stop smoking, like my parents. They will continue to pay the increasing costs, and if they are pensioners then they are probably doing it at the expense of something else. I don't really feel comfortable with the idea that the plebians should just be priced out of "essentially a luxury".

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I dunno. This is really bad. Now, I know it's The National and so obviously will be embarrassing, but they've come up with this monstrosity. Yes, a really ugly cover for your passport that will let you pretend Scotland is a real cover. Jesus.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sion posted:

This is some pretty tribalist poo poo, but none more than we've come to know and expect from the national.

I dunno. It feels like a step up from their usual cringeworthy drivel. When The National launched, I really did think it'd be a positive thing to have a pro-indy paper just because the balance in the press failed totally to represent almost half the population. But they totally half-arsed it and we got the biggest pile of drivel that may as well just be the party paper of the SNP because it's so unwilling to hold them to account from a pro-indy perspective.

Do we know what it's circulation is?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Christ, is that all? About half of what the Evening Times manages despite that only being sold in Glasgow. I'd have thought they'd at least match the Sunday Herald, or get near it's 50,000.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Niric posted:

Best I can tell that's as of January 2015; Wings Over Scotland (I know, I know) has it at 12,100 in February 2016:

Some of these figures definitely surprised me. The Sunday Herald being significantly down on the daily is strange, and I would've thought the FT would be doing better, what with the finance sectors in Edinburgh and Glasgow. I know print is struggling and the Grauniad has plenty of unique issues, but its really quite pitiful presence was still a shock

The Graun's Scottish coverage is next to zero, it's little wonder they do so poorly up here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/JohnMasonMSP/status/794680109504622593

John Mason thinks that there was no legislation dealing with sectarian behaviour at the football.

That man is spectacularly thick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Derek Mackay, the Cabinet Minister for Finance, has been quoted as saying that PFI is "essential" for Scotland.

Good to see lovely SNP are outing themselves as lovely. If they keep doing this then people surely have to stop supporting them eventually right?

Y'know, in a decade or two...:suicide:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

They're probably including "Sassenach", "Southron bastard" and any swear word prefixed or suffixed with "English". That would be enough to skew the stats hugely even if Scots were less likely to be trans/homophobic.

Who on earth says "Southron" anything?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Racists in the Highlands and Islands, mostly. It lets them insult the English and infer that lowlanders aren't real Scots at the same time.

Well, in over 25 years living in the Highlands, can't say I've heard one person utter it. Sounds like a term that belongs in a fantasy book, Tolkein or some such. I've also only ever heard people utter Sassenach ironically though so maybe I live a sheltered existence. (Which isn't to say I haven't heard anti-English abuse, but "English bastard" seemed to be the go to)

Oh, & "white settler". Definitely heard that about English folk moving up here, taking advantage of house prices being cheap relative to what they'd pay in the south east and flying up & down to London each weekend.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 20, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Niric posted:

Interesting tactic this from the Tories - the SNP have fairly clearly been chasing the soft-left vote for some time (with rhetoric far more than action, but still), so painting them as extreme leftist makes some amount of sense propaganda-wise as a way of going after any right/centre-right SNP voters. Not sure it will have the desired effect (as calling out the SNP for not really being left-wing hasn't had any effect), but intrigued to see how, if at all, the SNP respond

It's quite smart really. The only place the SNP are really vulnerable is places like rural Aberdeenshire, Perthshire & so on, the sort of places that have traditionally been SNP heartland but who have probably become Nat supporters because they were Tartan Tories. And now that they've thrown their rhetoric to the left in order to pick up central belt seats, that absolutely leaves those traditional seats more vulnerable than you'd expect.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The case for independence is weaker than it was when the UK was still in the EU & it didn't really look likely that we would leave?

OK Flaps. That's silly but par for the course I guess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Once again proving that the people involved in student politics are complete fuckwits, so good job many of them will go on to be elected officials in due course.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

The nation's lovable stuffy academic uncle Andy Wightman MSP is apparently getting sued by parties unknown for £750k over some blog posts he wrote. Thread favourite news source The National is the only place with anything approaching details at this point, of which there are few for what I assume are good legal reasons, but I've already decided he's in the right here.

Additionally, I didn't know insolvency disqualified one from being an MSP. Seems a bit odd.

This is crummy. Hope he wins, he's a credit to the parliament, we desperately need strong voices on land reform.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hadn't realised Edinburgh Trams were likely to be extended down Leath, but apparently, that's part of the reason Leith Walk is currently being dug up. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

I rather like the trams now they're here and it would be handy to have a stop near me.

The Sheffield tram system was my favourite part of living in Sheffield. Obviously they were a complete nightmare to build in Edinburgh because of all the disruption and the fact it went on forever and was about £375m over budget. It's like how we've forgotten to do infrastructure projects in the entire UK. They could probably do with another route that actually goes to spots where folk live, serving some of the schemes. But those are the sort of spots some of Edinburgh would rather forget exists.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

baronvonsabre posted:

The data on how every school in Scotland is doing on reading, writing and numeracy is now available here. Don't worry, they've taken every possible measure to stop league tables from being made.

They put a message on the home page telling you not to make one.

:ughh:

The Scottish Government really are bewildering sometimes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I really like the idea but the more I read about the people in politics championing UBI, the more suspicious that they are just trying to poison the well. £100 a week? Hmmm, scrap JSA, housing benefit, council tax assistance, and just give everyone a lump sum which sounds like more than JSA but is much less than the combined benefits. It's potential disastrous for people who will simply no longer be able to afford both the rent & keeping the electricity on and having enough money to eat healthily.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sion posted:

Okay, but when we do the referendum dance again does it not become more likely that the requirements for asking the question will get lower? this feels like one of those slippery slope things where it's just 'keep asking until you get the answer you want' things.
I'm OK with that. Though I'd prefer the SNP just to say gently caress it and have unilateral declaration of independence just to see what happens next. That'd be fun. Referenda are a poo poo idea.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Just to check, is anyone going into Glasgow today for the Trump protest?

I'd rather we were having protests against Theresa May but apparently she's not quite so transparently deplorable so nobody seems bothered

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The sad part is if there was a GE tomorrow I think she'd probably win with an increased majority, new politics indeed. You don't have to be good, just better than the next guy.

Also how did this happen?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=135937

Coohoolin isn't even Scottish

Coohoolin is Scottish if he wants to be. He lives here. No ethnic nationalism here.

But yeah, May is a terrible PM who is hopelessly out of her depth but unfortunately the leader of Labour is too polite to be much of a fire breathing populist outsider & too unpopular among his own MPs to seem like someone who can lead the party, and the Liberals just want to be the junior party in a coalition again, so basically Theresa May is getting a free pass & it's really bad.

Still don't think a Liz Kendall Labour Party would be doing much better mind.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The only good Scots poet is William McGonagall.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I don't know if I love the fact his middle name is Topaz or how he writes poetry with the rhyming scheme 14 year old me used.

"Good heavens the Tay Bridge has blown down". Good god man. A poet for the 21st century.

I also adore that there's one of those blue placards for him outside what's now a pub in Inverness, because gently caress the Temperance movement.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Too much to hope for a dramatic reading at this years Fringe?
Wallace and Gromit slash fic as read by Miss Jean Brodie could be a wonderful culture clash, as well as winding up the thread obvs.

Only Burns and McGonagall name-dropped as Scottish poets? smdh

High school built up a lifelong hatred of poetry in me, sorry.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

cargohills posted:

Really interesting article in Al Jazeera about how Nicola Sturgeon isn't very good: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2017/01/nicola-sturgeon-champion-liberalism-170123082649966.html

That's an interesting take. I enjoy left-wing critique of SNP & their turn into the establishment party, with all the conservatism that comes with that. I'll have to email it to my mum, She seems to take any criticism of Nicola personally & that is funny.

I also see some folk talking of a 2018 indyref2? Not sure if I believe that. Seems too soon.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

EmptyVessel posted:

Consider that an awful lot of what you listen to for pleasure may actually be poetry set to music.

I know this guy and think he's pretty good (audio is not the best).

And although not Scottish Kate Tempests 'Let Them Eat Chaos' should be required viewing for everyone.
One of the things that saved 2016 from being only poo poo imo.

Yeah, Kate Tempest is good. But then I've never had a teacher force me to analyse Cannibal Corpse' I Cum Blood (or more realistically, Dylan or whoever the gently caress is a respected lyricist) so I've not been turned off from it. Plus, good music can give bad lyrics a pass, but for me it doesn't go the other way. Although I suppose some might describe the Sleaford Mods as bad music/good lyrics, they'd be wrong. Naming no names, Jedit...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

They forgot to list the two SNP MPs who didn't vote to block it. I wonder why.

Could it be because abstention isn't quite the same as voting for?

So, the SNP & Greens have come to an accord on the budget, as you'd expect. Any feelings on it? I've not had a chance to read anything about it yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Nor is voting to table an act the same as carrying out the consequences, a distinction lost on the Nazi Anal.

Why do the SNP need an accord on the budget?

Because they don't have a majority at Holyrood? They only have 63 MSPs while there are 65 opposition MSPs? This has been the case for almost a year?