Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Jedit posted:

I'm honestly more concerned about the apparent 300% rise in rapes in Glasgow.

Hopefully that would just be because people are more aware of the service or more willing to use it. Though "hopefully" might not be the best word considering what that would mean about the number of people not getting help beforehand.

Zalakwe posted:

as our system becomes more presidential

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

And how surprising that when the First Minister of Scotland makes a monumental gaffe, the newspaper for Scottish news ignores it and leads with an article criticising the English. The National should just change its masthead to "The Official SNP Newsletter". It'd actually be an improvement on the current masthead, which is one step away from "The Scottish newspaper fighting for the truth" - and in the wrong direction.

I'm not going to sit here and defend the national to any great extent, but dare I ask what Nicola's monumental gaffe was, outside of possibly continuing to exist? Given that it's not in any of those other papers from yesterday.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

how can you not love andy wightman, he's the unkempt academic uncle this country needs

(pictured left)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I thought 'SNP bad' came about from the standard scottish labour strategy of, when being interviewed, to take any question and immediately find the shortest possible path to attack the snp rather than talking about their own views/policies. Which got a bit tedious after a while. I'm not surprised that the hardline snp devotees have managed to ruin a phrase but.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

God, what idiots the SNP are. Don't they know most scots families don't even have £1bn in their accounts? This is going to create such a debt crisis, what are they thinking.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Good news everyone, Scottish blood is inherently less racist

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedBen/status/785126783163039745

though the Scottish part of that chart doesn't actually appear on the article linked, so I assume they threw it out in a later edit due to small sample size or something

e: well it's gone for me from the thumbnail as well, it showed "Scottish" with a slight lean to Hillary. now this post is even more pointless than it was to begin with

Angepain fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 9, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

Angus Robertson won the deputy contest with 52.5% so there's that I guess.

a clear mandate for Hard Angus

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm not sure which quote you're referring to but I assume he's claiming a moral right rather than a legal one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

if you were of real 1/2^8 scottish blood you'd already know all the news through your spiritual link to your homeland, get out foreign scum :mad:

but not much has happened, apart from the First Minister making some threatening noises and the Prime Minister predictably not looking too keen to walk away from Full Tory Hard Brexit Madness on account of some Scots who didn't give her many MPs to begin with. I figure things are just going to quietly simmer for a while until Article 50 gets activated and the shitshow of EU negotiations begins.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Of course I was joking. The spiritual plane of true scottish blood is mostly filled with talk about football scores and arguments about chip toppings, it's a terrible place for news

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The SNP made a big misjudgement in trying to appeal to people who weren't total racists. Didn't work. Sad! Next time insult some Muslims.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

Interesting. Most of the thread regulars would say Scotland is less racist but you're saying it's just as racist but the SNP failed to appeal to them.

I don't actually think insulting some Muslims is a good strategy for independence

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm looking forward to the upcoming war with America over wind farms.

quote:

Andy Whigmore, who was present at the meeting with Mr Trump, said: “We covered a lot of ground during the hour-long meeting we had.

“But one thing Mr Trump kept returning to was the issue of wind farms. He is a complete Anglophile and also absolutely adores Scotland which he thinks is one of the most beautiful places on Earth. But he is dismayed that his beloved Scotland has become over-run with ugly wind farms which he believes are a blight on the stunning landscape.”

Leave.EU’s communication’s chief added: “It is clear that it is an issue he is very passionate about and not because he is against renewable energy or green technology but because he genuinely thinks wind farms are damaging Scotland’s bountiful natural beauty.”

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I do wish the media could give a bit more context about these kinds of figures, rather than just throwing a big number in your face and running off. In my amateur attempt to understand it better, a wikipedia page i found gives Scotland's 16/17 budget as about 33bn, so if that's the right figure then 800m is 2.4%? Seems fairly decent, even if it is stretched out over a few years, but then I'm no budgetologist.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Can we use the cash to attach extra triangles onto our Scottish toblerones?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

OfficialGBSCaliph posted:

I don't get the point of unions for people who just sit around eating pot noodles

students tend to be very idealistic so it's good to teach them that all the structures that supposedly represent them are chosen entirely through name recognition and popularity contests and are generally just a meaningless front that gets to make a lot of noise and symbolic gestures while the people who actually make decisions go on making the decisions they would have done anyway, except maybe if you work really hard and relentlessly and everyone feels really strongly about something you might be able to enact a small change in actual policy which will then be overwritten in four years once everybody's forgotten about it and an entirely new bunch of assholes are matriculated in power

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

The nation's lovable stuffy academic uncle Andy Wightman MSP is apparently getting sued by parties unknown for £750k over some blog posts he wrote. Thread favourite news source The National is the only place with anything approaching details at this point, of which there are few for what I assume are good legal reasons, but I've already decided he's in the right here.

Additionally, I didn't know insolvency disqualified one from being an MSP. Seems a bit odd.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I remember when we had the referendum on a congestion charge which would have meant we would have a line that went from Waverley through the bridges/Newington/Kings buildings etc. As always referendums produce the wrong result.

oh god I remember this, I'm very sad that the fine work of campaigning art described here has since disappeared from the internet

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Just thinking this morning about the oft repeated nationalist threat that the Scottish government could 'call a second referendum'.

I assume this is how you spend every morning

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Fiction posted:

I didn't say the polls would go in one specific direction, but material conditions changing will definitely change public opinion. It's the only thing that matters.

what about people looking funny eating sandwiches

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

as National covers go, that's not too bad

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Glasgow City Council are cutting £1 Million from Sheltered Housing in Glasgow and the the remaining £2 million in December 2017, I know that much.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/827171297352310784

I think we've found a new quote for Patrick Harvie's twitter bio

e: also Matthew Broderick was not sitting in that class, him not being there is the whole point of the movie JEEZ MORE TORY SCUM GETTING IT WRONG

Angepain fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 2, 2017

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what exactly distinguishes a "back room" deal from the regular minority government deals

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Sick burn dude

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Leggsy posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39020443

Things are moving a lot faster than I would like. There's a bunch of reasons why Sturgeon could be going this fast and they're almost unanimously bad for actually winning a referendum.

I'm not sure how much we can actually read into this, Business For Scotland might well just be talking up the possibility in order to get its fundraising at a nice level. It's not like this is Sturgeon saying anything.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

What's so insane about letting EU citizens resident in Scotland vote?

I assume CoolCab was talking about this

Extreme0 posted:

The SNP are possibly better having just born-Scots vote if they want a better chance of winning the referendum.

which for the record it doesn't seem like anyone is actually seriously advocating, just getting that in before someone brings up their memory of it in a few months to justify calling half the thread racist or whatever

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I feel a bit bad for David Mundell, at least for a Tory. Dude was looking forward to hanging around on some back benches and not making much noise about anything of import and then as luck and FPTP and a (couple of) referendum(s) would have it he now has to look remotely charismatic in front of a camera on behalf of an entire party. Poor chap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLhZiEaefmw

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I imagine UKIP might actually start getting the odd council seat or two at those numbers. Not enough to actually do anything but I'm sure they'll claim they're winning over the populace. Also glad to hear the Scottish Greens are apparently on 85 percent, all hail king patrick

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah I mean Brexit was close but this will be closer: like Quexit close.

The referendum to ban portmanteaus ending in -xit, however, will pass in a landslide.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it sounds like she's just not committing at this point to running again for westminster in three years, which I think is a bit less extreme than talking about quitting. from what i hear westminster is pretty terrible so i can sympathise

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

if scotland becomes independent will we still be legally able to make fun of pissflaps

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Sinn Fein trying to steal attention away from us, those bastards!

as if anything could get people to pay attention to Northern Ireland

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

Anyone in this thread planning to attend this anti BBC demo?

oh good i can't wait to read this gag another 900 times

yes the future of this thread is looking luminous

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

An interesting article taking about an apparent shift in SNP rhetoric away from aiming for an independent Scotland in the EU, to some sort of EFTA membership.

that's a lot of article based on not a lot of actual quote, there

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm looking forward to another set of referendum campaigns that largely ignore any other aspects of possible independence in favour of competing claims of curiously specific amounts of money scottish people will 100% certainly gain or lose per year forever

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Hey it worked so well the first time and for Brexit right?

don't forget the AV referendum! a new voting system or baby medicine, we can only pick one

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

If the Tories are sensible then they will at least find a few scraps of meaningless but nice-sounding concessions on their brexit plans so that they have something to point at and repeat endlessly in interviews so that it sounds like they give a poo poo, but then if they were sensible they probably wouldn't be pursuing Hard Murderdeath Obliteration Brexit from a result of 52/48

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I'm going to move to the Orkney Islands, put on an outrageously accurate accent then agitate for independence from Scotland.

immigrants and new residents definitely deserve to be part of the political process so this is a good plan and i approve! :) i hope you enjoy your time participating in civic life in your new home :)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Leggsy posted:

The one interesting takeaway is that Labour seem to be slowly orienting their attacks more towards the Greens. Which might suggest they see them as a threat for the local elections.

In which case, lol

Given the general effectiveness of their attacks on the SNP I see a bright future for the Greens then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

It's ok everyone Britain is an unstoppable force. Britain cannot be stopped. Its will shapes reality. All hail.