Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I think mainly you're excited at the prospect of scottish nationalists being excited. You should really seek a different form of entertainment one of these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

He runs the Scottish Government’s favourite political blog.

this is true, I have contacts within the scottish government who all agree those are the only five websites the firewall allows them to access

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

You’re not going crazy I edited it to something more topical. The original post was my about my continued surprise at the inability of the SNP to turn the Brexit referendum vote into support for independence.

That post was a bit on the tedious side but at least it was an actual contribution to the subject of scottish politics, as opposed to the weird Corbyn-humiliation wank fantasy you replaced it with. Are you doing okay?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Not like we've chatted about the budget, or Sarwar being targeted with racist abuse during the Labour leadership contest, or Humza Yousef coming forward recently to reveal he's been getting death threats. Definitely does feel like ScotPol can be wrapped up.

It does feel like there there was an initial hope that after the excitement of the referendum many worthwhile policy and political questions could be discussed in depth to the betterment of the national discourse but everyone (including myself, very much including myself) is rarely bothered to actually discuss it and instead allows scotpol to devolve into long periods of silence interrupted by occasional partisan bickering because that's easier and everyone already knows how to do it without really thinking. And on top of that so has the scotpol thread on forums dot something awful dot com.

I guess commonweal are probably still publishing papers from time to time? hopefully somebody actually reads those

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Its actually a perfect example of the toxic discourse is Scottish politics, question a policy of our glorious leaders? Not on our watch!

By assuming that the only reason people disagree with you on this issue is that they're blind followers of a political party that supports them you're kinda contributing to the partisan toxicity of scottish politics discourse yourself, here.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

it was the "glorious leaders" bit I was mainly finding fault with.

Aramoro posted:

Yes again I'm not saying we should be charging tuition fees. What im saying is our overall education policy is not working, but Holyrood will do nothing about it whilst they can crow about free tuition.

Looking back on this conversation you were really unclear on this. I can understand why people would be unclear what your real argument is when you start off with saying "Free university tuition has failed as a policy" and only explicitly clarifying several posts later that you were in favour of free tuition as a policy but wanted other things done as well.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Not Operator posted:

This isn't political, its just funny.
https://twitter.com/fredmcneill/status/986737931661529088

e: Eh, I guess its kinda political.

That twitter account is locked now, what did it say?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

how do babies manage not to burn to death in finland? i have met finnish people before so I know a few of them must survive it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

casually accusing someone else of being motivated by sectarianism probably wasn't the most diplomatic way of bringing up that section of her backstory if you wanted to talk about it

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Unreasonably precise amounts of money being lost or gained by each individual in Scotland is legally the only possible way to talk about any kind of economic projection, I believe we all learned this from the indyref

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

I think it’s a very good look because the guy is a scumbag on the make.

I think we can all agree Stuart Campbell is a terrible person. Particularly his rampant transphobia, which I'm sure all posters in this thread will join me, a woman, in condemning

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I don't think your 'because' there is supported by the text, flaps.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I've found the best solution to the issue.

https://twitter.com/cocteautriplets/status/1001918779717226496

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I'm sure there's capacity in this thread to make fun of both Wings and Pissflaps. It would be nice if anything remotely interesting or novel ever happened in Scottish politics so we could talk about that instead, but I don't have a whole lot of hope about that one.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Would you say it was time this thread was brought into a closer political union with the rest of the UK?

Let's join up with the Scandinavian thread instead, we have baby boxes now so I believe that makes us officially Nordic.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Rumor has it that today's announcement about gender recognition reform will be further delaying it to make room for more consultation, so it's a good week for SNP Disappointments

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

Rumor has it that today's announcement about gender recognition reform will be further delaying it to make room for more consultation, so it's a good week for SNP Disappointments

Announcement just made: delayed, another consultation of unclear length, no recognition for non-binary people or under 16s, the trans discourse hellscape continues on

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

so yeah, what happens now

even a tory party leader who cared about decorum would probably hold off until a big Holyrood result before even allowing the thought of possibly allowing a referendum, and even then it seems unlikely. Do the SNP just keep trying to embarrass Boris on The World Stage and hope something gets to him? Do they do a Catalonia and try their own home-grown vote and get beaten up by the police? Seems like poo poo's hosed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Guy has such a valuable twitter handle that could be used as a vital hub for discussion of the 1996 extreme weather movie "Twister" but chooses instead to post nonsense about trans kids for some reason. A tragedy for all concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

we have to wait for everyone Nadine Dorries has been in contact with to die off and then there won't be any westminster government anymore and we can do whatever we want