Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
You missed a trick by not calling it Scotpoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Blurred posted:

Wtf? How can someone be for national self-determination and independence from a larger union in one case and then oppose it in another? Like, what reasons do they have for believing that Scotland should remain in the UK that don't conflict with their reasons for the UK leaving the EU? Apart from them just being vicious, self-interested dumb cunts of course?

Because UKIP is really more of a pinstripe BNP than it is a "libertarian self-determination party" or whatever the poo poo they pretend to call themselves. And British nationalism involves, well, being poo poo to parts of Britain that aren't (specifically the south) of England. It becomes glaringly obvious when you look at anything UKIP have said about Scotland and Scottish politics- Farage is in favour of removing the devolved government or severely limiting the level of devolution, and it was UKIP's Scottish party leader Monckton (not that they need one) who came up with the phrase "subsidy junkies"- "The Scots are subsidy junkies whingeing like a trampled bagpipe as they wait for their next fix of English taxpayers' money." They've been using anti-Scottish stereotypes to play up anger and support in the south and it's not really endeared them to anyone up here.

When Nigel came up to campaign last time, this is what happened.

He got locked in a pub in Edinburgh by protesters and had to leave in a police van because two taxis refused to take him:
(Link has video)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/may/16/nigel-farage-edinburgh-protesters-van

He came to Aberdeen, swerved to avoid the waiting protest in the city centre, but got tracked down in Bucksburn and my mate Richo got him and David Coburn with some coca cola.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...to-8665937.html

Farage got all pissy and started bitching about how terrible and nasty and violent Scottish nationalism was and how we would all be fascists if we voted Yes and then someone threw an egg at Jim Murphy and it was just the worst thing to ever happen and the SNP should be ashamed of itself and never ever campaign for independence again.

He was surprisingly silent when Jo Cox was killed though. Hmm.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pretty sure that's in response to this:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

The fact that it looks like the UK's flag without the scottish standard can't be a mere coincidence, right?

Yes it can. See above.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

www posted:

Who in the EU said that?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-scotland-commission-idUSKCN0ZB0LQ

quote:

The European Commission said on Saturday Scotland was part of the United Kingdom and declined to "speculate further" after First Minister Nicola Sturgeon called for talks with the European Union to keep Scotland in the bloc.

"Scotland is part of the UK," a Commission spokeswoman told Reuters. "Constitutional arrangements apply. We will not speculate further."

Sturgeon said Scotland would prepare for a possible fresh independence vote after Britain voted to leave the 28-nation EU on Friday. Scots voted heavily in favor of staying in.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Eh, maybe. I'm not sure the EU would be happy if our currency was still in Pounds which is also the currency of a non-EU member though. I think if we were to join the EU, we'd have to either switch to Euro or adopt our own currency.

Ooh can we chat about what to call our new currency?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Some clarification is needed here, due to the subject matter: do you mean the logical fallacy, or has this thread had a problem with people accusing others of being fake Scotsmen?

It's me, I moved here six years ago and I'm an ardent independence supporter, and that really irks some people.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Extreme0 posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/748153405089132544

Don't knows included would be Agree 61%, Disagree 39%

Seems fairly right enough as it matches the results Scotland gave a few days ago.

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/ZIB-2/1211/ZIB-2/13117502/Gespraech-mit-dem-schottischen-Politiker-Robertson/13117577

Apparently Germans are actually surprised in how Angus sounds more german then the presenter :lol:

Woah he speaks better German than me and I grew up speaking the language.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah pretty unfortunate to go from speaking Schwyzerdütsch to Doric. No matter where you go people think you have a dreadful speech impediment. :v:

It's actually an easy transition, lots of similar sounds.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't lie. Everyone knows you hail from Switzerland.

Hurrrrr.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

I bet you'd get on well with Dutch. The vocabulary already has a lot of correlates with German and Scots (sure you can figure out "Ik ken waar je een kerk kijken kan" from either language). And I reckon Swiss German in particular sounds sort of similar, plus for a German speaker the grammar is really simple.

Yeah I reckon.

I know where I can... keek a kerk? What's a kerk?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

stephenfry posted:

even I know that. Are you sure you're in scotland?

I thought it was a kirk but "I know where you can see a church" is a weird sentence.

E: Hmm. Ok.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

keep punching joe posted:

The area of Glasgow is probably a majority population of new Scots and the only hate crimes I've witnessed are yoons who don't event live here moaning about it on social media.

I'm just guessing they're yoons based on the high number of Rangers based avatars.

Careful now, that might be construed as sectarian bigotry.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Basically Brexit happened and a lot of people took that as a starting gun to kick off some ethnic cleansing and coincidentally the only people doing so were in England.

Although a friend of mine did get yelled at to get out walking back home so I'm sure there's a slight increase, just not statistically relevant.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

keep punching joe posted:

Does Aberdeen still have a fairly sizeable National Front presence? I lived there about 10 years ago and remember being shocked by the amount of NF and swastika graffiti around the place.

Davey McDonald and his ilk get shouted down by our active and on point antifa branch whenever they even try and breath a bit louder. Not that much graffiti as far as I've seen.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Clearly the answer is to send the Proclaimers every year and win for all eternity.

Also Alestorm are boring, there's far better bands to come out of Scotland.

Jedit posted:

I think Alestorm are the Scottish equivalent of the Dropkick Murphys. This is not a compliment.

gently caress off, the Dropkick Murphys are ace.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Are Idlewild still alive?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Chvrches would be great but probably too cerebral for Eurovision. Just bring Lulu out of retirement.

Also OP pretty sure Kevin McKenna's been Yes for a while now, he's just milking the brexit a bit.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
What the christ.

https://www.rt.com/uk/349162-neo-nazi-miss-hitler/

https://twitter.com/national_action/status/746166282072928256

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
She does have nice eyes though.

I wonder if I could convert her. With the power of my sociology degree.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 2, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

TomViolence posted:

This being National Action, a fascist youth organisation - and just from the looks of things - she's probably about 15.

Arghghghhhh whaaaaaat

How is a fascist youth organisation not illegal? I mean, adults, sure, you've got the freedom to have lovely political views, but how are they allowed to go around recruiting kids?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

tetsul posted:

Don't try to deflect blame now, we all heard you. You are now legally required to stay 100 meters from any nazi schools and anywhere fascist children may be playing. You will be registered in a database so hate-mongering parents will know you're in the area.

How will I know which schools are the nazi schools?

EDIT: if you actually read the national action link *shudder* i think it says she's 19.

Edit 2: nope, that's another contestant. Hah, I didn't even notice it was different people. Look at this poo poo though

quote:

Hypothetically if you could kill one person and get away with it who would you kill and why?

I would put Angela Merkel (without any protection) in one of her camps and let her pet refugees do the rest.

quote:

I am an NA activist living in Scotland and dedicated member of our organisation. I enjoy reading, browsing esoteric memes and watching the reds lose their poo poo over our publicity stunts.

quote:

Avid reader. Loves nature and animals. Loves European architecture and classical art. Enjoys walking, cooking, breathing. Memes are life. I feel so degenerate, like I’m writing a Tinder profile opening or something. Next!

Even thread relevance:

quote:

Hypothetically if you could kill one person and get away with it who would you kill and why?

Is it terrible of me as a nationalist to choose Nigel Farage? Do I care? I just cannot stand civic nationalism, it’s so cucky, lock me in a room with the idiot and I’d skin and salt him for promoting it. It might seem more palatable to the general public, but it’s just halting any real progress for the nation and doesn’t get to the root of the rotten tooth that is multiculturalism. We need radicals in the right, not people who play ‘working class’ and relatable but who are too scared to make any change that would give us true security.

quote:

Boris johnson! What an absolute shitshow that man is, I can’t stand him, he is like that idiot running UKIP, don’t know what it is with him but I think he’s a sly horrible devious man, an’ that Nicki Minaj! Id fit all 3 of them on baking tray and set them to gas mark 6!

Argh.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 2, 2016

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hahaha holy poo poo those heels.

Ok everything is just wonderfully bizarre. Scotlab tearing itself up over Corbyn, the EU pretty much winking at us to bail and go party with them, and Ruthie being Ruthie.

Oh and Nicola is still fantastic.

quote:

"We are more than five million men and women - adults, young people and children - each with our own life stories, family histories and our own hopes and dreams.

"We are the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of the thousands who came from Ireland to work in our shipyards and our factories.

"We are the 80,000 Polish people, the 8,000 Lithuanians, the 7,000 each from France, Spain, Germany, Italy and Latvia, who are among the many from countries beyond our shores that we are so privileged to have living here amongst us.

"We are the more than half a million people born in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, who have chosen to live in Scotland.

"We are the thousands of European students studying at our universities and colleges.

"And we are the doctors and nurses from all across our continent and beyond who care for us daily in our National Health Service.

"Whether we have lived here for generations or are new Scots, from Europe, India, Pakistan, Africa and countries across the globe, we are all of this, and more.

"We are so much stronger for the diversity that shapes us.

"We are one Scotland and we are simply home to all those who choose to live here."

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I flew back from Tallinn yesterday and the currency exchange in the airport had separate values for Scottish pounds and British pounds, with Scottish pounds being 0.70 and British ones 0.60.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

While I get that the last 6 years of austerity and welfare "reform" are a key factor here, it's annoying that the SNP/Scottish Government response to growing poverty in Scotland is a literal "it's all Westminster's fault and there's nothing we can do." Which is absolute crap. It's the same do-nothing-blame-someone-else routine from a party that's been in power for almost a decade. The SNP's record on the economy has been piss poor, and it pisses me off that they never get pulled up on this.

Except none of that is true?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Niric posted:

This bit:

Is true:

This bit:

Is true:

This bit:

Is true

This bit:

Is also true.

This bit:

Is my opinion, coupled with a negative claim which are, famously, very hard to prove.

If you're going to insist on continually doing zero effort, zero content posts that mindlessly (and without any actual argument) defend the government, you could least occasionally make them funny or something.

It's just as lazy to simply accuse them of "always blaming Westminster" instead of actually doing something. That's an empirical claim you've made, attributing blame to the Scottish government, and you're claiming stuff like "we're being forced to alleviate Westminster cuts" isn't true, I guess?

I mean unless there's an obvious way the Scottish government can subsidise Westminster cuts and at the same time invest MORE money into the economy, all without borrowing or raising taxes in an effective way (something the devolved tax powers do not allow for), or unless you can demonstrate a way that should be apparent to the Scottish government, then your claim is easily dismissible.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think the Theresa May visit was because Scotland had previously been excluded from all EU negotiations and now apparently we've been guaranteed a place at the table?

EDIT: Oh also apparently this?

"May: Article 50 will only be triggered when there is a UK-wide approach"
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-07-15/may-article-50-will-only-be-triggered-when-there-is-a-uk-wide-approach/

Jedit posted:

No. It's remain in the EU or nothing.

Kinda this, yeah.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Tomorrow's National headline claims the SNP are announcing a new currency for an independent Scotland.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Coburn is gay, isn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been on the receiving end of some nastiness or bigotry from some other party members.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Pack it in unionailures, Sabaton have thrown in with indy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7xBe5-M8k

My god is that cheesy as all hell. I love the awkward reenactment "battle" footage in the background.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Since we've turned ScotPol into "bad power metal: The Thread", here's a really bad song by some Swedes, Lost Horizon

It's called Highlander (The One) so I've decided that's enough of a connection to Scotland to warrant posting here.

Is doing a 12 minute "epic" song about The Highlander better or worse than an entire album about The Silmarillion? And why is that I will tolerate black metal bands referencing Tolkein but instantly hate every other song that references his works?

I used to love Lost Horizon when I was younger. Thanks for this wee nostalgia trip!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
It's one poll, interestingly published on the day of a large independence rally in Glasgow. Relax, I wouldn't take it seriously at all.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I'm gonna be in St Petersburg so would love to but cannae :(

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Good news for trade unions in Scotland- the government confirms plans to scrap tribunal fees.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/13639211.Scottish_Government_confirms_plans_to_scrap_tribunal_fees/

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

Anyone feeling any sympathy for the Scottish fishing industry being harmed by the EU exit should be aware that those cunts voted for it.

Christian Allard anxiously fiddles with his glasses and grasps his hair in despair.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Ok well that's just taking the piss.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Interesting approach, this! Scottish universities agree to lower entry standards for disadvantaged students.

Vonnie Sandlan, NUS Scotland president, says:

quote:

I love the widening access & widening participation agenda, and throughout the Commission on Widening Access I was clear that contextualising admissions had to go beyond dropping entry requirements by one grade, or maybe two. NUS Scotland has been banging on about truly contextualising admissions for ages, and so it's absolutely incredible to see the sector body representing Universities in Scotland has decided not to wait for the Fair Access Commissioner to be appointed, and to just plough on making admissions fairer.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/NEWS/14724626.All_Scottish_universities_to_drop_entry_grades_for_disadvantaged_students/?ref=rss

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The EU have appointed Guy Verhofstad to deal with Brexit. He has a fun perspective on Scotland.

BBC: "Can Scotland stay in the EU without joining a queue to get in?"
GV: "Yeah"

https://amp.twimg.com/v/a9b88577-e4...54-ce32affde399

Bonus cartoon:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

Stuart Campbell's had his Twitter suspended

L
O
L

For no reason, presumably because Siobhan McFadyen is having a tantrum. It was reinstated earlier today.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

do you really believe that there was no reason?

if this was his first warning from Twitter he doesn't seem to be taking it on board; instead crowing to his followers. which makes me think a permanent ban is inevitable. like Milo Yiannopolous got eventually

I mean he wasn't given a reason by Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
https://twitter.com/alexaitch/status/775699697084276736