Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

If I remember the press of the time correctly, CfE is a great example of the downsides of trying to please everyone by building a "consensus" policy based on stakeholder input, rather than starting with any really defined vision for how the sector should change. It (originally) tried to please all of the involved parties; teachers, parents, councils, etc. But it was just a vague mess that (originally) they could all put up with because they'd been consulted so thoroughly during the drafting.

Then the bodged on-the-fly crafting of the new curricula during the 2011 term meant the whole thing fell apart because none of the teachers knew what learning outcomes they had to cover, which pissed off parents who didn't want kids to fall behind so demanded the return of assessments, which the government did because of the bad press. Now we basically have exactly the same system as before except the qualification names are different and everyone involved has more paperwork.

Did anyone here know of anyone at secondary who began poorly and went on to excel? I went to a pretty shite school and I didn't know anyone like that. Those who started at the bottom stayed there, those who could muddle through with passes kept muddling, those who excelled did so in spite of a teaching strategy aimed at helping the muddlers get their General-4 standard grade award and no greater. It's also striking how those three groups would conform to class structures.

I'd guess secondary education reforms fail to make a difference because the problems that cause half of students to fail to meet reading standards by 2nd year are set much earlier in primary school, nursery, and at home. Seems pretty impossible unless we start whole-scale holding back low-income kids in primary till they twig how to read and do maths to the appropriate level because their parents can't/won't help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

From the experience of my coursemates during uni (not long ago in glasgow), I'd guess that university participation by the working class would be significantly worse if we had fees in Scotland.

There seemed to be a real aversion to even taking out the maintenance loan amongst most of the lower-middle/working class folk in my class. Most of them would commute in from home, and work a detrimental (to their studies) number of hours somewhere their home town. The story was always the same - they'd love to move out but their parents had drilled into them that the maintenance loan would be like private debt. So instead they'd work to pay for their travel costs, while being fairly miserable that they had to put in so much effort to join in the social things.

If you put up a "loan debt" barrier then the old scottish stereotype of being tightarsed and debt-adverse comes roaring back to life, IMO.

twoot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 4, 2018

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I suspect that after we've left the EU an independence referendum underpinned by a desire to rejoin will be fatally flawed. There won't be a majority for it when the Remain* camp's major argument will be about eventually having to re-denominate everybody's pensions into Euros. Search your hearts, the Tory unionist argument will definitely be about that.

If the SNP are on the ball they'll try to avoid this with a semi-close arrangment like Norway - but then obvious attack is why would somebody vote to leave the UK to gain powers only to immediately secede them to a one-sided supranational arrangement where we have no vote in the chambers of power.

I'm not very hopeful for the next few years here in the driech.

(*if there is an official section-30 referendum there's no loving chance the Tory government lets the SNP own the "Yes" slogan again)