Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What poll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think there's any chance Scotland would retain the UK's opt outs and rebate.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baronvonsabre posted:

I think there's a good chance we'll keep at least some of them (though probably not the rebate). It's in the EU's interest politically to make Scotland's transition as smooth as possible since that makes them look reasonable and practical and respectful of the democratic wishes of a national electorate. Doing so will also make rUK look even more like a bunch of idiots who cut off their nose to spite their face, which reduces the chance of other members deciding to leave.

I think allowing Scotland to join the EU as quickly as possible would be reasonable enough on the EU's part, and Scotland would be in no position to demand opt-outs that the EU no longer offers to new members.

I don't think there's any chance of Scotland receiving a rebate when it would be - I believe - a net beneficiary of EU funding.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

To be honest what is there to opt-out and rebate now?

The Pound? Pretty much hosed and may get hosed again.

Schengen? It isn't the worst option on the table if the rest of the UK is refusing to go into a single trade market and help the movement of people. Already got people around Europe saying that they are pissed off about this as their friends, lovers and relatives are going to be a lot harder to get too. And we don't know if the UK would also have to take Schengen just to join the single market too.

I mean that's the only two I can think of and I know there is a lot more but there is going to be a lot of things that I think are worth sacrificing just to keep in the EU.

The rebate is the mechanism that sees the UK's financial contribution to the EU budget reduced by roughly 66%.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

baronvonsabre posted:

The rebate I agree on. But I still think the political advantages to the EU will mean they'll be more than happy to agree on letting Scotland keep some of the other options, particularly an opt-out of using the Euro, since that's a sticking point for a lot of people.

I think the argument that Scotland could be notionally required to join the Euro without there ever being any real pressure to do so is reasonable.

The problem, as before, is what would be used in the interim.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Niric posted:

can - and in my opinion should - frame the debate as a clear choice between two different, incompatible, but fundamentally known and tangible political and economic unions.

This could be tricky because of the objectively greater importance of the British union to the Scottish economy than the European one.

An indyref2 right now would again need be won again with the heart rather than the head - though this time round that might be possible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

IceAgeComing posted:

I thought that we'd done the whole Euro thing to death last time? Although Euro membership is technically compulsory, ERMII membership isn't and that's one of the conditions for Euro accession. You just refuse to join or say that you'll put it to a referendum when the time is right, that's the approach of the Swedes and the best way of going about it.

Not really 'done to death' when your post still doesn't resolve the question of what currency would be used.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Also sounds like somebody talked some sense into Tusk about playing along with Sturgeon's 'talks'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

Ooh can we chat about what to call our new currency?

Your new currency still says sterling.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Surprisingly low.

The SNP has failed to seize the initiative. An unexpectedly dropped ball.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Her 'path' seems to consist of wasting everyone's time in Brussels?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Leggsy posted:

I do wonder what you would have done differently in Sturgeon's position, pissflaps.

Well, in Sturgeon's position my focus wouldn't be:

quote:

exhausting all options in order to build a long-term case for independence

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Nitrousoxide posted:

Article 50 hasn't been invoked yet and there's the possibility of a Scottish veto, until those are initiated and exhausted people will probably still favor the status quo.

That Scottish veto is a non starter. There's nothing Holyrood can do that can't be overruled by Westminster.

The problem for Scottish nationalists is that if Brexit fails then it's an object lesson on the dangers of leaving political and economic union with your most important trading partner. If it succeeds then the case for leaving the UK to join the `EU is weakened.

People will quickly get used to the new status quo, and there is still a sizeable minority who are actually pro-leave in Scotland.

It all had to happen far more quickly than this for Brexit to lead seamlessly to independence.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Leggsy posted:

it might all be political pageantry but it serves to convey an image of Sturgeon as a world leader and Scotland as an emerging state.

She's been sent home and told they won't talk to her about anything meaningful. It's not done much for her image.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Someone with aspirations of being seen as a 'world leader' needs to come home with more than sympathy and some cheap fags. It was just a stunt.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Are there people in Scotland who thought the EU would negotiate with Sturgeon? Or allow EU membership of a constituent part of a nation state?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What's her next trick? Proving water is wet?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

What's your agenda here Pissflaps? You agree that Brexit is a bad idea. Why are you now opposed to Scotland getting to remain in the EU? Do you truly believe they'd be better in this sinking ship? You seem keen that Scotland doesn't get away. This is much different that before when the UK was a strong working entity and it made little sense to break it up. Now it's broken anyway. We're going to lose our banks, our few industries and our service sector. We're done. What has Scotland got to lose by jumping ship?

Try again without the hyperbole.

Things will be worse than they would have been, but the sky isn't falling.

Brexit demonstrates why breaking union with your most important partners is a bad idea. What's true for the UK is true for Scotland.

Nationalism got us into this mess. More nationalism is not the solution.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Some clarification is needed here, due to the subject matter: do you mean the logical fallacy, or has this thread had a problem with people accusing others of being fake Scotsmen?

People have attempted to shut down debate several times by describing others as not being Scottish enough to contribute, though that doesn't happen so much lately.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

It's me, I moved here six years ago and I'm an ardent independence supporter, and that really irks some people.

That's really not the problem people have with you.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/748274149806772224

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's ok, I'm party Scottish.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lady Galaga posted:

Hmm yes lets stay in this failing union because apparently Scotland wanting to have decisions about how Scotland is ran and not be dictated by England is nationalism

The sky isn't falling because Article 50 hasn't been triggered yet. Scotland will get their independence referendum soon enough, there's a lot on the line to get the ball rolling again before London companies decide to gently caress off to Paris/Frankfurt for good. I'm sure there's demand from people to move their HQ to Edinburgh over Europe once it happens too.

You are right though, more nationalism isn't the solution. Perhaps you can be the one to tell that to the boys down in England.

You forgot to say 'Wastemonster'.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tithin posted:

Why are you so pedantic, Mr Flaps?

Can you quote the pedantry you're referring to? It's my experience that the word is usually misused.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tithin posted:

I dunno, this seems ill advised.

It's also not possible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Unless an independent Scotland chose to mirror Brexit UK's immigration policy rather than have a hard border between the two.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I don't think constituency boundaries are to blame for the SNP not contesting seats outside of Scotland.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has anybody in this thread ordered this watch?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The SNP are planning to ditch Catalan separatists haha.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Judging by some media output it's clear the result has come as a shock for some traditional No voters and made them reassess their position - I think a hypothetical Indyref the Friday after EUref could well have produced a Yes result.

But as time goes on, and the pragmatic arguments come to the fore, I think it'll be less and less of a factor.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jedit posted:

EU membership doesn't have to be the deciding factor. All that is required is the belief, now, that Scotland is hosed if it remains in a non-EU UK.

If the UK is hosed then so is Scotland - with or without Independence, in or out of the EU.

It's the same as the facile argument that the UK should leave the EU because the latter is about to go down the shitter. As the UK relies on a healthy EU for prosperity, so Scotland relies on the UK.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

If they stay hosed then at least Scotland can look after its own and protect things like health services while the UK ravages itself.

I'm not sure this is true.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If this is true it's really sad.

edit: Did Alyn Smith really use that insane 'the UK is not a real country' argument in the European Parliament?

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 9, 2016

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It does serve as a useful reminder that those who accuse the BBC of bias - of any political persuasion - are usually off their trolley.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Why are you posting this in this thread and not the uk wide one?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

moonraker posted:

Yes i wil be off else where things are still a bit tender in here .Your about the only cool head in this place

That's very kind of you to say.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

You didn't quote my favourite bit of what he said:

quote:

It also has a chance for major tax reform, aimed at attracting inward investment and highly skilled migrants, but as that would mean low business and income tax rates, "it may also point to a smaller, more efficient state".

Sounds like a Tory's wet dream.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Extreme0 posted:

Oh, so you be all for it then.

If it's the will of the Scottish People, sure.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The purpose of today is to tie the SNP into the process of Brexit. It's to prevent them sitting on the sidelines complaining about what's been done to them and Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They do love a good moan.