Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Stopped reading Scotpol this time last year, got 5k posts to catch up on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

forkboy84 posted:

Not really worth it.

Probably, when I started reading it last night it was you and Coohoolin talking about LFI votes at a pub or some stuff. I stopped paying attention and went back to playing Invisible inc.

Gotta admit, watching this internationally has blown my mind, maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion (Very possible!) but it definitely seems like I'm witnessing the end of the union in my lifetime.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Kurtofan posted:

Scotpoll II: the Auld Dalliance

I like this one

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

baronvonsabre posted:

Yeah, that is what I meant. And to be fair, the Tories are doing the same, they just have the decency to stab each other behind closed doors rather than in public

Closed doors? you seem to have forgotten how the UK got into this referendum in the first place :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Lord_Adonis posted:

How likely is it that the First Minister will make good on her comments about having the Scottish Parliament block a UK Brexit? How likely or possible is this? Also, where do the SNP MPs in Westminster stand? Has there been any talk of SNP MPs linking up with sympathetic remainers from the Labour, Green, Lib Dem, Plaid and (a few) Conservative benches? Also, how easy do you think it would be for an English Electrician (With other associated electrical qualifications including a HND in Electrical Engineering) to find work in the Electrical/Electronics/Telecoms sector in Scotland?

I don't know this guys background, but he seems to believe that they actually don't have the authority to veto, but not to provide its consent, which Westminister would like but technically doesn't require

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2016/06/26/brexit-can-scotland-block-brexit/

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Why are you so pedantic, Mr Flaps?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pissflaps posted:

Can you quote the pedantry you're referring to? It's my experience that the word is usually misused.

I dunno, this seems ill advised.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

#1 - Is he trying to build up Scottish Support for independence?
#2 - what the gently caress is happening in that gif?

makes me think those people who say that the government is run by reptiles might have a grain of truth to them

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

We'd rather pretend he no longer exists

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, after they put up stickers in Glasgow I ended up reading their website. They seem like the worst of both the internet and fascism. The fawning over poo poo memes really lessens the fear factor. I mean maybe I'm just a crotchety auld fucker but "esoteric memes" is not a phrase any oval office should uttering, sincerely or otherwise.

Was commenting on this earlier in Discord, and the general consensus is that when she's talking "esoteric" memes, she's talking "gently caress the jews" sorts of memes

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's a pre-emptive strike against an argument to stay in the UK "we listened once, and look at all the poo poo that was promised, and subsequently broken - how can we trust these liars??"

I'd expect a formal announcement of indyref2 within a month tbh

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Extreme0 posted:

I would of waited till after the election of the new tory leader and to see what the stances of the other parties are. Doing this I feel like only alienates possible support from the other parties which is something they need.

True, Scottish Labour / Greens are ostensibly behind staying in the EU at all costs hence they were behind sending Sturgeon to Brussels to negotiate staying in. It's not a given to say that they'd support independence at all costs, but it's a reasonable assumption.

My personal thoughts are that the SNP are looking at this as a time limited opportunity - public outrage will only last so long, and with Labour divided, and the tories leaderless, this is possibly their last big shot to push for independence.

I'm surprised they couldn't get anyone from labour / tories to comment on the inappropriateness of this list - do the scottish lib dems even have an MP?

Just my 2p

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Was Sunday Herald anti-independence the first time around?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I left Scotland to move to aus before I needed to move out of my parents place, so I never got to experience that but it surprises me that landlords keep the deposit money in Scotland. In Australia, all deposits are lodged with a government agency and only released if both parties agree to a distribution of funds between the parties.

Any disagreement goes through VCAT, which is a separate government department to sort out the disagreement. I thought that was how it was done everywhere.

Otoh, Australia basically runs concentration camps, so it's not all good :shrug:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

PiCroft posted:

Anyone who orders one will be added to a watch list.

:golfclap:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm not sure that it's not true.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Angepain posted:

I have an opinion on this matter.

Controversial

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

lol

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think I made it through about two sentences before my eyes glazed over

you are utterly unintelligent and live your life as a martyr in a world that caters to your every whim

gently caress off

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

moonraker posted:

Ohh that nasty man said gently caress off ohh i am so hurt by that , can i report that as a hate crime ? . With out doubt this is a sad little corner of SAF .
I will leave this circle jerk think tank Byeeeeeeeeeeee

SAD LEFTY LOSERS :p

Yes, feel free to report me.

I'm not spitting the dummy, I'm just utterly unimpressed with you, why don't you go complain to the right run media about how the left are ruining your country, which is and has been run by a right wing party for umpteen years, and will continue to be run by a right wing party for umpteen more.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So what's Theresa May's opinion on Scotland, out of curiosity?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'd love to attend a scotpol booze up but unfortunately a little out of my attendance radius.

Jedit posted:

Extreme0, why did you just decide to become an aggregated news feed?

I appreciate it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm skeptical it will work tbh

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think it's less that and more that they prefer the narrative of the scots unwillingly being dragged out of the EU, as it gives them a good front to push for indyref2

I say that and I want Scotland to be independent, but I can also recognise that this is probably the narrative they're going to stick with even if they do get a decent place at the negotiation table. either they'll set demands so outrageous that Westminister will have no choice but to say gently caress off (at which point, indyref2), or they'll actually extract favourable concessions from westminister (which will serve to placate them for all of a five minutes until they find the next excuse).

Either that, or I'm getting extremely cynical :shrug:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wouldn't it be better to adopt the euro as the currency as opposed to a new scottish currency, given the ostensible reason the SNP are pushing for indyref2 is due to wanting to remain in the uk

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jedit posted:

Stupidity angers me.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Not sure how Kezia's been missing, she's had a lot of opinion pieces in the grauniad's uk/scotland section here in the AU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Disappointed, I was expecting the goat man

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I actually thought that WAS parody. A photoshop. Jfc

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I hope there's a second referendum