Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Extreme0 posted:

Yea that's why I'm against it. No way we are going to have representation of a poo poo footballer and his team owned by Iceland.

He didn't vote in the referendum.

Couldn't get a cross in the box!

hehehe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
As someone from Aberdeen who now lives in Glasgow it's always nice to go back and see the Nazi graffiti. The stuff we get down here is sectarian and uses slang nobody else can understand, which somewhat defeats the point in my opinion.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

jre posted:

Season ticket is worth at least £300

how exactly do you use this when you'll be expected to be at all the games anyway, prancing around in front of schoolchildren?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Niric posted:

Thinking about the implications of brexit, are there any real life examples of "federalised" immigration policies, or any interesting pieces that talk about something similar? Not that it would placate the SNP, and I suspect the immigration "debate" is so toxic right now that no PM will want to wade in with much more than platitudes, but separate immigration policies in Scotland and england might be technically possible, if obviously extremely complicated. I'm curious if there's (m)any practical mechanisms that already exist and could be applied to a Scottish context; for example, visas allowing the right to work in one state/region/place of a common travel area (whether national or inter-national) but not another, or if such a thing is too logistically problematic to bother with.

In Jersey any EU citizen (including British) can enter and work a job classified as "permit free" - on https://www.gov.je there are 136 permit free vacancies compared to 179 which require a work permit.

Jersey isn't in the EU but does have tariff-free agreements with the EU. In other words they actually do get free movement of capital but not free movement of people, although the treaties which govern this are linked to the UK as opposed to the EU. So when the UK leaves the EU Jersey also loses free movement of capital, although still governs their immigration policies seperate to the UK.

Which means Scotland needs to become a Crown Dependency, except not of the UK because they won't be in the UK. A dependency of the Netherlands or Spain perhaps.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
I sometimes wonder if anyone at the Mail knows Mo Farah is a Muslim immigrant called Mohammed.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Coohoolin posted:

Service industry, mostly, which is having a bit of a boom, it looks like. Loads of places hiring, new restaurants and bars opening up, places expanding. I'm not proposing using oil as a prop, but we can at least stop pretending it's completely worthless.

Aberdeen has a boom and bust economy. When it's bust rents go through the loving floor and things start popping up all over the place, hoping they can survive until its boom again. And even if they can't it doesn't really matter because they're owned by development companies anyway who just write that particular operations losses off against their overall tax.

The service industry is hiring because students make up a large proportion of the summer workforce and most of them have gone back to uni or cut down to part time hours. This is common throughout the UK in September/October. If they're hiring in February I'll concede the point.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Jedit posted:

This is true apart from the bit about the rents.

And the idea that Aberdeen is bustling is risible if you've ever walked down Union Street. There are a lot of units either vacant or worse, cycling through a number of short-lived businesses. I'm seven years in post now and bored to hell with it, but right now I don't dare consider switching jobs because I have the only position in my department that cannot be eliminated.

Through the floor in Aberdonian terms, obviously. Still eye watering to the rest of the country.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Sion posted:

Like, if it's done by unit then cheaper, stronger drinks (ie, the drinks that are usually consumed in large quantities) will be hit. This will raise prices and further raise poverty levels. Raising taxes on smoking did not seem to have that big an impact on the number of people that smoked.

Smokers just switch down a brand every time their brand becomes unaffordable, then go onto rolling tobacco, grey market tobacco and finally the black market. I can't see any reason why this is going to be different for alcohol.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

jre posted:

You don't get how minimum pricing works do you ? If your normal drink of choice has risen in price then there won't be a cheaper alternative, that's the entire point of the policy.
Also talking about "meths" misses the point that this policy is not targeted as sleeping rough alcoholics, it's targeted at the depressingly large proportion of the population who drink an unhealthy amount every week. I find discussing minimum pricing interesting because people with an unhealthy relationship with alcohol always out themselves with rants about how it won't work despite all the evidence.

As cigarette and tobacco prices have risen, in combination with cheaper air travel across europe, the market for black market and grey market tobacco (where the duty has been paid somewhere in the EU but the tobacco is then resold illegally) has increased. If alcohol prices rise I see little reason why a corresponding market for alcohol won't take shape, although Brexit may well put the brakes on it a bit.

In other words if a bottle of vodka now costs £15 in the shops but wee Jimmy can drop one off for a tenner then actually there is a cheaper alternative.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Calling it now that the SNP win 58/59, you can put that in the fancy prediction table someone will no doubt be starting soon.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Is there an IRC channel?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Not much to say at the moment though really. I'm watching the C4 election special, are the other channels any good?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

duckmaster posted:

Not much to say at the moment though really. I'm watching the C4 election special, are the other channels any good?

David Mitchell making quite an amusing speech/stand up routine at the moment but seems to have missed a couple of results because of it. Get the impression he's being told in his ear to wrap it up a bit.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
I'll tell you what I've got rid of and that's an absolutely superb bottle of Cotes Du Rhone. Starting on a distinctly average Jacobs Creek Shiraz Cabernet, hopefully the results stay interesting so I can start on the boxed poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

cis autodrag posted:

That's weird because when I was up in Edinburgh I saw a lot of people walking pit bulls or just chilling with them on the sidewalk. American pit bulls are descended from Irish or English pit bulls anyway, the differences aren't that pronounced.

Stafffordshire Bull Terriers aren't banned and are almost certainly what you saw. They're slightly smaller than American Bull Terriers.