Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Stuart Campbell's had his Twitter suspended

L
O
L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

A few hours too late it's back up now.

Let the crowdfunding commence.

What a shame

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

For no reason, presumably because Siobhan McFadyen is having a tantrum. It was reinstated earlier today.

do you really believe that there was no reason?

if this was his first warning from Twitter he doesn't seem to be taking it on board; instead crowing to his followers. which makes me think a permanent ban is inevitable. like Milo Yiannopolous got eventually

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Shocked that people stop supporting redistribution of wealth as soon as it hits their pocket

The Fraser of Allander institute report makes grim reading for the Scottish government.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/sep/14/independent-scotland-financial-future-westminster-holyrood-government
Any thoughts on how they'll react? Is a u-turn on the rejection of raising the top rate of income tax on the cards yet?

Cerv fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 15, 2016

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

We push hard left Scottish politics to borrow like gently caress and nationalise the oil.

could you clarify how much "borrow like gently caress" entails exactly? cos if you're still planning on EU membership you're constrained a bit there

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-snp-conference

Bill for second indépendance referendum to be published next week. This a good idea which will end well

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Town v gown is very much still a thing up there I take it?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

If your society drives people to self harm, the championed response should not be "well just make razor blades expensive."

(Emphasis added)

That's interesting, because nobody's said we should just do minimum pricing and ditch every other part of tackling the alcohol problem. It's just one tool that works on concert with all the other stuff

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Maybe if drinkers are telling you it won't impact their drinking habits, it'll just make the habits have a further negative influence on the rest of their lives...

Do you believe that all people saying it won't affect their drinking are accurately predicting the future? Because experience with other similar price rises show that they do impact on consumption for the signifiant bulk.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

Thank you. Now, what are your thoughts on the study in that list which openly stated minimum unit pricing is a tax on the poor?

I think that it's a good thing. Everyone should be paying tax, whether rich or poor. Although the overall burden should be lowered for those less / unable to pay, this can be done elsewhere. E.g adjust the income tax thresholds or reform council tax into something sane

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Scotpol, where universal free university tuition is a regressive subsidy of the upper classes and flat minimum pricing is a progressive empowerment of the working classes.
Careful with that gigantic straw man. It's a bit flammable

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

hit reply in the wrong tab

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jedit posted:

How is this going to help unions? Giving them £250k isn't going to help them reach the strike threshold, and it's not going to stop the reps having to jump through the hoops - unless they use it to hire a temp, I guess.

Set up new processes and change existing ones to seal with the new laws. A big issue of meeting the threshold will be having up to date membership lists at every branch, when previously it didn't matter if you took a couple of weeks to process changes, leavers, new enrolments. A one off data cleansing exercise now wouldn't go amiss either.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Angepain posted:

The SNP made a big misjudgement in trying to appeal to people who weren't total racists. Didn't work. Sad! Next time insult some Muslims.

Interesting. Most of the thread regulars would say Scotland is less racist but you're saying it's just as racist but the SNP failed to appeal to them.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

quote:

“Allowing an anti-choice group to form would be a barrier to freedom, equality and body autonomy for those with uteruses on campus and therefore not only violate existing standing policy, but also act against the interests of a large amount of the student population.”
What an odd phrasing. Makes it sound like students are carrying uteruses around in their laptop bags.

Think this will backfire. If they'd let the society affiliate to the union and get on with it they'd be small and unremarkable. Now they've got an excuse for a load of publicity

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Andy Murray has received a Knighthood and many nationalists are not happy about it.

how do they feel about Alexander McEwen's knighthood?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Can it even be called 'universal' anymore when you've restricted it down to one council area?

I'm willing to bet right now that whatever the council comes up with won't even be for everyone in the city, and won't be a basic income you could live off of. UBI will continue to be a pipe dream.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

That's was today's lesson in the Scots cringe

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

The SNP are not covering themselves in glory over Scotrail

You get the impression that no matter what, there will always be one more excuse for not bringing it under public control.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/15071199._Ferry_review_shows_nationalised_rail_service_is_open_to_Scotland_/

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/02/even-tony-blair-thinks-scottish-independence-credible-now

a helpful intervention?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

lol

in more serious news, the economic state for independence continues to be a worry
https://www.ft.com/content/9ca2e846-fe82-11e6-96f8-3700c5664d30

quote:

Ahead of the 2014 referendum on Scottish independence, Paul Marsh and Scott Evans of London Business School compiled a Scotsie 100 index of quoted companies domiciled north of the border, and backdated it to 1955. They found that Scottish stocks performed broadly in line with UK stocks until late 2007. Thereafter, they diverged sharply, thanks mainly to the near collapse of RBS. With RBS (and HBOS, before its merger with Lloyds) stripped out, Scotland outperformed the rest of the UK from 1955 to 2014. Scots shares returned 12.9 per cent a year against 12.6 per cent for “rUK” (rest of the UK) stocks.

Prof Marsh and Mr Evans have updated the index. The headlines are the same: Scottish shares have underperformed rUK ones by a large margin. RBS is still a big factor. But look at what happens when RBS is removed. Since September 2014, returns on Scottish shares have lagged behind the rest of the UK — even with the deadweight of the bank cut loose. This is partly down to share price falls at asset managers such as Aberdeen and Standard Life.

The performance would have been worse still without investment trusts. These closed-ended funds were pioneered in Scotland and they now account for about a quarter of the market value of the 20 biggest Scottish companies (against a fifth in 2014). They have also beaten non-Scottish trusts by about 6 percentage points since 2014.

Even this apparent triumph is not all it seems. Lift the lid on Scottish Mortgage, a top-performing trust that is set to enter the FTSE 100 index at the next review: seven out of its top 10 holdings are US-listed technology stocks. The sterling value of these holdings has risen sharply as the dollar has strengthened. The moral of the story seems to be that investing in Scottish companies need not be a disaster — but it is what they do outside Scotland that counts.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/12/mhairi-black-may-quit-depressing-parliament-after-single-term-as-mp

it's not normal to be talking about quitting only 2 years into being an MP is it

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Apparently Sturgeon claimed she thought the CTA could continue as it is, surely that's not possible if Scotland were to insist an a much more open immigration policy than the UK?

I'm not sure why the idea of a hard border with an independent Scotland is portrayed as a ludicrous claim by nationalists: I can't see how one could be avoided.

I doubt that reality would live up to the rhetoric on any radically different immigration policy. It's hot air to energise the base. Much like how talk about tax has never been followed through by the Scottish government using their powers to adopt significantly different income tax bands to the rest of UK.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

We've only had the ability to have significantly different income bands very recently. In 2016. There's been the Scottish Variable Rate before that, which was a change to all bands up or down by 3p, then we were able to change how much the existing bands paid from 2013 or '14, I forget exactly, but the ability to set different bands came in last year. Can hardly say "it's never been follow through" when they've barely had a chance.

I stand by my point.
They had the opportunity last year and bottled it. Publicly taking a very Tory line of not wanting wealth creators to flee. A lot of consternation in this thread at the time as I recall.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I wonder if EU citizens will be able to vote this time.

I think any significant change to the rules from last time will be immediately attacked as an attempt to rig the vote by whichever side feels they'll be disadvantaged by the change. So no one will think it's worth bothering.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Dumb question, do the SNP at Westminster get any kind of formal influence over the terms of brexit, or is it just May and the Davis Department clubhouse doing literally everything?

Because it seems like it would benefit the SNP hugely if they can just stand on the sidelines shouting at the government over bad terms and loudly making nice with the EU while having no actual responsibility in the negotiations.
not a lot
there are 2 SNP members on Benn's Exiting the EU Committee (out of 21)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

https://www.ft.com/content/e248b414-0a37-11e7-ac5a-903b21361b43

quote:

Scotland could abandon currency union with UK, says Alex Salmond

better late than never I suppose

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

e: nevermind

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

In Sturgeon's speech today she offered an "open invitation" for anyone in the rest of the UK "if you are as appalled as we are at the path this Westminster government is taking, come and join us".
are there any thread regulars, perhaps living in England and pissed off about Hard Brexit, who might consider this? it would seem to be taking a big gamble with the course of your life.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

JFairfax posted:

lol leaving England to pursue work or academic interests is not taking a big gamble with your life.

Hundreds of thousands of people do it every year.

The gamble is doing it specifically to be in an EU member independent state. Most likely you'll end up in neither.
Hundreds of thousands aren't doing that. It wasn't even a thing a year ago.

And yes I did mean to post that in the UK thread. Oops

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

"we met here on our first date…"
presumably they met at the station before heading to the proper venue for the date. it's convenient.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

https://athousandflowers.net/2017/03/20/fash-for-indy-leading-far-right-figure-says-he-will-be-backing-scottish-independence-100/

quote:

Ever since fascism first emerged as a political force in the 1920s, its Scottish incarnation has always been deeply tied to British nationalism and loyalism.

he's never heard of the likes of Hugh McDiarmid?
or the SNP's unfortunate history with WW2?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/mar/30/scots-back-sturgeon-brexit-polls

Prof Curtice thinks that although support for the EU is broad in Scotland, it's also quite shallow. So Scots want the same outcome from Brexit as the rest of the UK. Doesn't bode well for Sturgeon's chances.

Based on this survey http://www.natcen.ac.uk/news-media/...or-brexit-deal/

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

So now that Sturgeon has formally asked for a referendum and, formally been told no, will she hold attempt to hold one anyway, engineer a Scottish general election or declare UDI?

i think she knew all along that May's government would almost certainly say no. it's posturing to rile up the base over another Westminster snub to Scotland.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

are they actually checking party membership or is this just a misjudged marketing ploy?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

I don't know but if you waltzed in covered in Tory stickers I don't know how much of a discount you might get.
worry not, I won't be waltzing in at all.

on another note, there's a pair of articles about the ugly side of the yes / no campaigns that make for depressing reading
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2017/04/extreme-scottish-nationalists-hunting-lapdogs-and-traitors
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/devolution/2017/04/extreme-scottish-unionists-how-hard-right-has-muscled-independence

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Coohoolin said you get a discount for being in a 'pro indy party' so surely being in Labour wouldn't get you a discount even if you personally are pro independence?

can't find any mention of the discount offer on their website, their facebook is a dead link, and their twitter account has been suspended.
which is as much effort as i'm putting in to finding out.

on the other hand, their website does boast on several pages about having "prosecco[sic] on tap", so I'm contacting the food standards agency about the PDO violation

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Wow those two things sure sound exactly as bad as each other.

small comfort to the victims don't you think?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

That's how you spell prosecco though?
FSA aren't the spelling police.
If it's not in a bottle, it's not Prosecco. For the same reason that you can't, for example, call any whisky "Scotch".
God only knows what they're actually serving.

Coohoolin posted:

The victims of an egging or the victims of racial and homophobic abuse?
you don't need to dismiss the abuse that occurred. no one is accusing you of guilt through association.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

neillrfc1690nosurrender@hotmail.co.uk

I wonder if he uses that one on job applications