Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

As in, Scotland is overwhelmingly white british. I think about 94%

my sister (and I) are white british, it didn't stop a glasgow cab driver for cussing her out today for being able to vote because we have canadian accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Extreme0 posted:

Nationalism isn't good but Brexit was helped by forbidding those who aren't born in the UK to vote in the EU referendum. Sounds like Ethnic Nationalism to me.

funny, I was born in Canada and they let me

almost like doing it based on citizenship is the legal way and not some insane literal no true scotsman race qualifier

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

I suspect most Leavers are, at best, utterly indifferent to Scottish independence

Like gently caress they are. The Murdoch and Murdoch-lite press in England treat it like the nationalist bait it is. They might be indifferent to the actual idea of Scottish independence in the abstract, but the particular strain that involves the SNP is absolutely verboten.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

My experience is that ardent Brexiters are narrow minded little Englanders who want 'the jocks' to gently caress off.

Just the other side of the nationalist coin.

I mean I don't disagree but to put it another way: they would love to kick Scotland out but despise the idea of Scotland leaving. In large part because the SNP stick has been used to bash Labour for so long.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

I can't agree with you on this: Brexit and English nationalism are intertwined.

I would say if you polled every right wing English nationalist sympathising paper's readership and asked "Should May allow another referendum" I doubt Yes would get double digits, and, likewise, if it was instead "Should May remove Scotland from the union" the second Yes would absolutely trounce the first.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mediadave posted:

The base drive of Scottish nationalists is to become independent, not join a different much larger state (something something EU).

I don't think I can agree with this at all; there's not one "base drive" of Scottish nationalism, there's a ton: it's an almost impossibly (and certainly impractically) big tent that the SNP have cultivated. It bit them pretty loving hard with the pound debacle in the last referendum. It's why the SNP seems to defy conventional UK political classification; they're were a sort of centre right party who then swelled their base with a shitton of very enthusiastic left leaning to hard left supporters, and the result is something that is simultaneously lefty and righty and centeristy all at once.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ah, I'd forgotten about the magic spell cast that causes everyone born to the south of an imaginary line to be racist thumb people and everyone to the north to be able to refer to a nation of people "thumb people" in a way that's Well Actually civic nationalism

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Coohoolin posted:

Mate have you seen the state of the country lately?

:cry: oh no the nasty racist Scots are getting mad at the country that keeps voting Tory abloobloo

you've always been a caricature of a person but this is bordering on political cartoon.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Coohoolin posted:

My John MacLean t-shirt and Dick Gaughan record collection beg to loving differ.

CoolCab posted:

you've always been a caricature of a person but this is bordering on political cartoon.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if the Tories get in on the backs of a handful of Scottish seats my poo poo will be so lost it will it will pass into myth. it will take archaeologists generations to find my poo poo

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Kezia should go, but is there a better option available? They have to be Scottish MP or MSP (right?) that's at very least soft (most likely hardcore) Unionist, be left wing enough to pick up the Corbyn vote while also making it through whatever the leadership process -I imagine is designed to be as stacked against left wing candidates as the national ones were. Tons of their MPs and I must imagine all of their MSPs would have been campaigning on anti-Corbyn stuff at very least until after the manifesto surge this election.

Your options have gotta be pretty loving limited, and they'll be massively outnumber by people closer to Kezia.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CoolCab posted:

if the Tories get in on the backs of a handful of Scottish seats my poo poo will be so lost it will it will pass into myth. it will take archaeologists generations to find my poo poo

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is CoolCab, Shitposter of Shitposters
Look on my poo poo, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

hakimashou posted:

If a really scottish person read the word "cannot" out loud would it sound like "cannae" ?

Ye cannae change the laws of physics, laws of physics, laws of physics. Ye cannae change the laws of physics, laws of physics Jim!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
"im not publicly owned! im not publicly owned!!", the nationalist continues to insist as its voteshare slowly shrinks and transform into a cor bins

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alan G posted:

Just to be clear, you think that in the 2017 election, the mistake the party who won 50% of the votes in 2015 made was to stand candidates?

really depends on your long term objectives, which is central to his point. they both won Scotland and ensured Scotland would have no role in government.

if your intention is "to get Scotland out of the UK" that's a great result, if it's "accomplish anything like your progressive rhetoric" it's disastrous

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

A Labour/SNP government with Ed in Nicola's pocket would have been good IMO.

well, yes. it would be good for Scotland. that's kind of the point

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Kin posted:

So, you're basically saying scotland should only ever align itself with and vote for a party the majority of England votes for if it wants a 'role' in the UK?

Scotland can do as Scotland pleases- I'm saying the SNP have a very strong perverse incentive to ensure that Scotland's MPs do not have a role in government, and that has informed their behaviour. Again- a Corbyn government would be disastrous for their long term goals- it's much easier to paint an "us versus them" narrative when the "them" are panto villains.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the 👏only 👏ethical 👏 nationalism 👏 is 👏 my 👏 nationalism

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Alertrelic posted:

The SNP are using it as a tool to attack him and it pretty much confirms that Dugdale et al would be governing us in the same way.

Alertrelic posted:

From what I'm hearing in the left, nobody actually forced her out,. but who knows really. More likely its the right trying to take the initiative behind a refreshed leader with a renewed mandate.

i'm sure the labour right is just desperate to put another question to the membership (it's worked out for them so often before!) and they didn't really want that NEC majority anyway

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Leonard has the advantage that ScotLab have such a pathological hatred of the SNP that if he attacks them from the left the Sarwar crew will fall in behind him anyway.

If Scotlab can credibly start tacking left and clear out some of the useless rot in their command structure (ie anyone who has contributed to or supported a decision they've made in the past 5 years) - and that's a pretty big if - Scottish politics could get very interesting.The SNP wind up in the very difficult position of having to maintain their big tent of support while also being attacked from the left and the right by competent opposition - they've coasted on "not being the Tories" and "being progressive compared to Labour" for quite some time. They'll need to rely on support that puts nationalism above conventional left/right ideological concerns - extremely difficult with independence still too toxic to really pursue.

I also think the Ruth Davison party is far too self congratulatory with seizing second place - they're also benefiting from a wide Unionist tent, and the Tory brand nationally continues to poo poo not only the bed but the entire bedroom (overflowing into the hall). The left in Scotland failed to see the Tory surge coming - they won't have that advantage again, and that Scottish seats are currently allowing May's government to exist provides a hell of an incentive.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

It would be nice if Scottish Labour remained clear that they hate the Tories at least a little bit more than they hate the SNP so we can all breathe easily in a potential future kingmaker scenario but that's pretty much my only concern.

What possible reason would Labour have to do this? They're chasing the unionist vote in Scotland and even the vague (and explicitly denied) idea of a Lab/SNP coalition is a stick the Tories are beating them with. The unionists in Scotland - a majority - hate the idea of a second referendum and believe any deal would make one inevitable. England loathes the idea of a nationalist party dictating policy (unless the nation is England and the party is Conservative) and will vote in droves to prevent it happening.

They'd be trading a huge slice of the national electorate for the approval of pro-independence nationalists - considerably less then half of Scotland - a group who consider a vote for the SNP to be a vote for a Labour government. Utter madness.

There is no reason to have kingmaker discussions before an election makes them necessary - putting aside how doing so might radically change said election - it's completely counter-productive. If the seats allowed for a kingmaker scenario it's overwhelmingly likely to happen - the parties are fairly close ideologically and would both benefit from such an arrangement. Everyone understands this - Labour, the SNP, the Tories, the Scottish electorate, the national electorate, particularly clever dogs - everyone. Nothing said now can make that outcome more likely to happen - Labour firmly committing would have all the credibility of Milliband's petulant refusals - but it absolutely could screw something up.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://twitter.com/LabourRichard/status/968928999811543040

Dick Leonard actually being cool - I'm down.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

Have people started doing booze runs to Berwick-upon-Tweed yet?

you joke but they relatively recently renovated the spar in longtown to have a loving massive booze section - like, a whole room separate room that's bigger then the room full of convenience store. someone was planning ahead.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it is sort of numbing in a surreal way to wander in and finding someone defending flammable cribs. maybe that's something that the consumer was willing to accept during the postwar period in finland but the modern, discerning mother tends to prefer their childcare equipment flame resistant at minimum.

couldn't they have sprayed the loving cardboard or something? almost like dictating policy on "things that are popular in the magazine section of bbc news" is maybe not a fantastic idea.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this is crazy but: maybe it’s in the newspaper because it’s a baby crib that catches on fire.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pissflaps posted:

Good news...the chronically ill and disabled will almost certainly be exempt from prescription charges.

Eh, with a lot of long term conditions if you're in work you don't really get an exemption persay - a prepayment card basically subsidizes every prescription after the first monthly. This would otherwise bite (and still unfortunately does occasionally to uninformed or vulnerable people) particularly hard in mental health where service users often are on multiple medications, may have short prescriptions to limit their on hand medication for their own safety or have medications that are limited to short repeated runs for various reasons (I think abuse potential is one?).

Don't get me wrong personally I don't really consider the 110 odd it is a year to be particularly onerous- it's a bargain by any standard - but it's still something more I pay compared to some lucky buggers who never get sick.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/996388983381737474?s=19

State of this shite. SCOTTISH BILLIONAIRES GOOD ENGLISH BILLIONAIRES BAD naw mate, all billionaires are cunts.

Michael Fry is a good advert against magical lefty independence, this is the John Mason, Fergus Ewing of the Nats and they seriously outnumber the Cat Boyd's and Patrick Harvie's.

Meet your new feudal lords!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

keep punching joe posted:

Peg it to the euro and then adopt the euro, and also remain in the EU.

this is one of those ideas that seem great if you know absolutely nothing about monetary policy and/or recent history

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

keep punching joe posted:

Yeah, can't wait to sink into the sea with the rest of you cunts, just because England/Wales has gotten a bee in it's bonnet about too many foreigners.

having a monetary policy that aligns with state interest is a huge part of how nations wield power. it's arguably the single most powerful financial tool there is - you want one of these. a monetary policy against state interest by design is one of those bafflingly awful ideas (and implementations) that could only be a product of a mind so riddled by neoliberalism that it secretly believes we're like fifteen minutes behind tng. things like greece will always happen forever - it's borderline hard to believe it's not supposed to. it's not just that it's a terrible idea it's a terrible idea demonstrably - we have a library of evidence to prove it's a terrible idea!

it is one of those things that is relative so it will always be true no matter how badly brexit goes- we have hosed ourselves royally but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to gently caress yourself royally twice.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what in the everloving gently caress scotland

quote:

A woman who complained of a racist and misogynistic culture in a Scottish government agency claims she was taped to a chair and gagged by two male colleagues as a warning to keep quiet.

DeeAnn Fitzpatrick said the restraint took place amid years of bullying and harassment at Marine Scotland's Scrabster office.

The fisheries officer has taken her case to an employment tribunal.

BBC Scotland has obtained a photo of the restraint incident.

It was taken by one of the men allegedly responsible.

The BBC has seen emails showing Ms Fitzpatrick tried to raise the alleged attack with one of her managers soon after it happened, but it appears to have not been taken seriously.

The manager said he would have "a word" with the men involved - Reid Anderson and Jody Paske.

He added: "I am sure they meant no harm and that was the boys just being boys."

Mr Paske, who no longer works at Marine Scotland, told the BBC that the allegations were "lies".

He said: "These are false allegations. I can't remember the event you mention, but if it did happen, it would have been office banter. Just a craic. Certainly nothing to do with abuse."

In evidence to an employment tribunal against the Scottish government, Ms Fitzpatrick claimed that over a period of almost 10 years she had been subjected to behaviour including:

being mocked about having a miscarriage
being told certain staff at Marine Scotland didn't want "a woman, especially a foreign woman"
extreme racist language
threatening behaviour towards female staff, who were sometimes referred to as prostitutes

this would have been wildly inappropriate workplace behavior sixty loving years ago

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol @ Pissflaps not being able to let go of being a slug even after being banned from all the UK threads.

it's amazing that he's softening on the SNP cause he hates corbyn so much. it's like the end of big brother - "do it to jeremy!"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

In fairness, it's more just welcome to Trots anywhere in the world. Trots exist to keep the printing industry alive and for no other reason.

that, cover up sex crimes and make sure every single left wing speaker, reading, conference etc requires a time limit on audience questions/comments

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cerv posted:

Why? What would you do in that case?

same thing they did when apartheid south africa wanted to come over and play cricket like they were civilized people - tear up the drat pitch. block the roads so he can't get around, stage big, screaming rallies wherever he goes and generally do everything in our power to make it abundantly clear that regardless of what geopolitical realities obligate our government to do, the people do not want him here. in short, do to him what he does to thousands of vulnerable men, women and children every day - tell him gently caress off because he is not welcome here.

the police just make this more difficult - it's still worth trying, imo. i've gotta book my tickets to edinburgh for the saturday rally actually.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
https://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/1055118892463517697

the snp's open loathing of unionism taking an interestingly literal turn. bonus:

https://twitter.com/tvlistening/status/1055021496127643648

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Angepain posted:

Rumor has it that today's announcement about gender recognition reform will be further delaying it to make room for more consultation, so it's a good week for SNP Disappointments

so you're saying the reactionaries in a nationalist political tent are able to agitate infinitely more efficiently than the progressive bloc because the liberal ruling authority kowtows to them at the drop of a hat? almost as if building this big tent leads to this outcome in basically every instance? who'da thunk it

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

Are you trying to take over from Pissflaps as chief SNP disliker? You always seem to pop in with a half baked hot take whenever they come up.

pft, pissflaps is a poundstore me. I don’t oppose nationalism because it winds people up - I oppose nationalism because it’s unethical, dangerous and should be opposed.

e: I see you’re familiar with my work and yet you say this to me? I’m offended!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

Hmm, so you instead support the neutral and non-nationalist position that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the United Kingdom of great Britain and Northern Ireland should be maintained.

the only unionism I’m interested in is trade. it’s really great that the first thing I get when I say “nationalism is unethical” is “but YOU are a nationalist!” - it sort of betrays that you yourself know it’s unethical and need me to be a hypocrite.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

I’m sorry you have to choose between the nationalism of breaking away from an Imperialist project that’s increasingly right wing etho-nationalist and the nationalism of maintaining it.

and I'm sorry your imagination is so limited that your solution to "too many post-imperial ethnostates" is "lets get our own" - that you reduce every (justifiable!) critique of nationalism and nationalist governments into a personal attack on your identity. almost as if your thinking is being constrained somehow - as if some insidious substance is restricting you mentally like some sort of...brain toxin, no, no i'm sure there's a snappier way of putting that.

we ain't gonna border our way out of the class struggle. anyone who tells you otherwise ain't your friend.

mehall posted:

But the thing is, a LOT of the anti-SNP crowd is explicitly a pro-Union, British nationalist crowd, that's undeniable.

eh? then go argue with them? there are advantages arguing with nationalists - it is easier, trust me on that.

quote:

I frame my yes vote in 2014 as anti-imperialist, and i think it's hard not to say Scotland isn't more pro-internationalism than the UK as a whole.
The thing is, that doesn't make Scotland some weird outlier, the culture is not much different than the north of England, and if anything north of the Wirral wanted to leave with Scotland I'd be all for that. (Or east of the wirrall. Pretty much just not the drat wirrall).

"my nation is more internationalist than yours" should be causing enough cognitive dissonance to blow your head off. and i would argue it sort of is - see, your actual internationalism is showing - neither of us care where it's put, there is no good border. there are no good borders, even.

quote:

And as I've already discussed with you on discord, if Boris is PM when a new insured is called, I'd find it hard to vote any way but yes, and I know quite a few staunch internationalists who voted strongly no in 2014 who feel the same.

eh i generally shy away from pms or such when i rhetoric, it tends to get somewhat personal - particularly when i'm arguing from an ethical perspective. i'm not generally interested in getting into specifics - i don't think i have to be? my moral positions don't change based on some Westminster theatrics.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mehall posted:

I'll grant Boris can do a lot of damage in a short time, but I can't see him being able to stop an IndyRef past the next holyrood election.

is the snp going to pull a Catalan and run an illegal referendum? boris has shown absolutely nothing but contempt for precedent, the rule of law and for popular opinion so long as he can retain power- what will compel him to behave differently here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
upon reflection, I also feel like it’s going to be exponentially harder to get moderates in parliament to agree to try and referendum away insolvable problems. particularly those they can’t afford to lose.

I’m personally of the opinion that if we have a second brexit vote it’s going to be totally silly to deny Scotland one, even if my opinions on nationalist movements haven’t changed. self determination is sarcosanct after all. but I can’t see anything but intransigence from a conservative government - I think if a second referendum gets called, it’s going to be under some kind of labour administration.